Need low power consumption and very stable setup

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hi,

For a Windows Home Server I need a Mobo/CPU combination that has its focus on power consumption (hopefully I can keep it under 80W) and stability. I need true server stability since it will be running 24/7/365. No screen or anything is needed.

Are we talking AMD or Intel setup? Perhaps some concrete suggestions?

Thanks.

--

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Ok but I need it now :) Should I go for AMD/M2 or some Intel Atom dual? Or perhaps some other Intel setup? As such I dont need quad cores for streaming so I have more focus on power consumption...

I wont need hdmi and all that so im just after a stable motherboard that with the right cpu delivers "ok" performance and has low consumption...

I would go with the new sempron 45w "sargus" for $39.99 at newegg, or a celeron 430 at 35 watts, which is what I have on my spare system. I used an asrock g43fullhd board for awhile. It has hdmi support, and runs all the newer socket 775 cpus. For amd, look at the 8xxx chipset boards. Newegg has a Jetway 8100 for $54.99 with hdmi support and free shipping with promo code EMCLWMM79 as part of their back to school sale, which ends today.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
If power is such a concern, you should consider the Atom. I think it is a very underpowered CPU, but the maximum TDP is like 5.5W or something.

Also, depending on how ASUS's AI Nap works, you may want to consider an ASUS board. With AI Nap, the software shuts down the GPU, audio, slows down fans, and... some other stuff perhaps.... In other words, its another power save feature to consider which may or may not be good for your application.

Also, consider the load on your server. I believe AMD chips are great for low load systems (idle power is like less than comparable Intel systems, though I think there are new chips from Intel that are comparable); Intel would be best for an always busy server.

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Thanks, I am really interested in the Atom processor. Would a 945GC chipset with Atom 330 dual core be a good choice you think?

The server is for running Windows Home Server. And it must service PC 3 clients with file service and 3-4 clients running SqeezeBoxes...I think an Atom processor choice would be more than enough for this wouldnt you say?

--

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
The Atom might have some merit to it as a server according to this link: Would you run a server using Intel's Atom processor?

I'm not a server tech, however, so someone else will need to reply.

But it seems you will be doing mostly file streaming versus complex arithmetic, so you'd probably be better off investing in some high performance disk drives (either WD Raptors, WD Black series, SSD drives, or something). Then again, depending on the option, that could increase your power consumption.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply.

I know a guy at anandtech's "for sale" forums that has one or two 2650e am2 notebook cpus. These cpus will work on most am2+am3 boards that have full hdmi features, which you may not find on atom cpu motherboards. The 2650e has a tdp of only 15 watts at 1600 hertz, and looks like any am2 cpu with a regular lid. You can use any am2 heatsink you like, as they run pretty cool. If interested, do a search using "2650e" at anandtech's "for sale" forum, and contact RU482.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
You could look at some of the articles that Tom's has done on efficient systems. Like here here and here. I would go with one of the Wolfdale based processors like a 7200. Having a little more cpu power than needed isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't cost in power usage.

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Thats very true. The initial cost of the server isnt that important, I would just like to keep consumption < 80w.

Could you perhaps be more specific? I have absolutely no idea what to choose here - perhaps with a motherboard to follow? Some stable (perhaps Intel?) companion...I can find a DualCore 2 E7200 but I dont know what motherboard to choose - or even what chipset it must be....

--

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
My bad - one of the articles clearly shows that consumption can be under 80 watt, excellent. However I cant find that motherboard in Denmark on the web, so what "properties" must I look for in order to get the same low consumption from a motherboard?

Thanks.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
The main thing it looks like that would be important to power consumption is a fairly small but efficient power supply and a motherboard with as few onboard extras as possible. The best bet would be a Micro ATX G41 chipset board (they used a G31 but they are older and hard to find) from one of the major names with a good 200~300w PS (hopefully 80+).

I looked on NewEgg and the lowest 80+ units I could find were a Sparkle and SeaSonic 300Watt units (I prefer SeaSonic but both are good) which should work for what you are trying to do. Under the 80+ spec it has to be at least 80% efficient at 20% load which on the 300 would be 60 watts.

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Thanks Ancient_1,

I have found a G31 MB from Gigabyte and a Seasonic 330W 80+ on Danish websites. This is excellent. I was just about to get me a Atom setup but especially one of the articles you referred to got me in the right direction I think.

--