Easy Newb Questions

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hey, these have to be big time newb questions judging by the FAQ post.

I am getting a new system and need help deciding which motherboard to get. I figure it depends on two main questions:

1. When they say 3-way SLI support, does that mean I can put 3 graphics cards in that are only the "single" type cards, or can I put in 3 that are the cards that are basically a two in one type deal?

2. How good are the 7.1 onboard sound systems (in general and do they differ much between boards)?

3. Are all of the new x58 boards pretty much support overclock well?

Any insight would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
well, for question number 1. sli will mean it works with more than 1 nvidia GPU together, so both will work together to give u double power as long as the sli bridge is in place, and as for how many card u can sli or the dual slot thing, its not with it being sli or not, its the case ur comp is in, and the space between the expansion slots, if it seems that it will fit, then it will work with the big cards, and more high end mother boards will work with it, though u will need a PSU that can handle the graphic cards, that and when u place in those big graphic cards, u may end up covering up some other expiation slots, usually not pci express x16, but pci, or pci x4 and x1

as for # 2. well, in general, its good quality, it depends on the audio controller though, if its a high end it should be good, u would want to find the model number for the audio and find out if its good, (if its a realtek one, and its ALC888 or up then its good, i no cuz that's what i have)

for #3. well, i cant say they all support it good, but as long as its not a OEM board, then it should be able to overclock, just look up the motherboard or ask someone who has it or can find out about it for if its good for overclocking