BIOS doesn't DETECT SATA

yadz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I have a G31M-ES2C motherboard, on which a E5200 is running, I have been encountering issues with my BIOS. It doesn't detect SATA drives. Sometimes it detects them from the first powering on, but when it doesn't it takes 4-5 restarts to get it to detect them, and I'm pretty sure it's not a PSU issue because I have an IDE HDD and an optical drive which always get detected, and I have 2 SATA HDDs and 1 Optical drive, they're the ones in question.

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
well, ur saying its not detecting them, so i would say u should make sure everything is plunged in right (on the inside of the case) and if its the psu, it would likly be crashing the system, i would recommend updating the BIOS, or trying different sata ports on the motherboard if u can

yadz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

I'm sure that everything is plugged it perfectly, I can even hear the HDDs running so its not a power problem. Although I haven't tried flashing my BIOS, I'll do that.

You don't need to flash your BIOS.
Replace your SATA cables. Cheap/stiff cables are notorious for causing bad connections at the drive and motherboard.
And, yes.....a bad PSU can indeed cause the same problems with your drives, and yet seem to run the system perfectly fine otherwise. I have seen this more than once myself personally. But first, change your cables.

yadz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

My cables are fine, they came with the motherboard itself, so if they're not good enough I don't know what is. And it has nothing to do with my PSU.

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

well, they could still be defective cables, but try other things first, and did u flash bios yet? just incase to see if it works

STunisino

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Had the exact problem on an HP notebook
Went to bios-->system configuration-->SATA Native Support-->changed enabled to DISABLED

That fixed my problem.

from Anis