Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2010 9:37:15 AM

Hello,

What's the best 1TB hard disk (internal). Here's what I'm looking for:
1. Doesn't heat up a lot
2. Transfer many GBs of data quickly.
a b G Storage
September 22, 2010 2:06:27 PM

Your two requirements somewhat conflict.

I like the WD Black for speed and the WD Green for a storage drive.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2010 2:31:16 PM

I'd probably lean toward the Spinpoint F3 - but hard choice between it an WD Blk. Use to love seagate, But not my 1st, or 2nd choice.
From One review
There’s only one way to say it – the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the fastest hard disk drive we’ve ever had the pleasure of testing here at bit-tech, having ripped through our benchmarks like a butchers knife through wet loo roll
End quote
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/sam...

Have to agree with jsc, requirements are somewhat mutually exclusive.
In terms of power ( which equates to slightly greater Temps), in real life not as great as implied and will depend on daily usage. On temps the difference between two HDDs would probably account for no more than 2 C rise of internal temp inside a computer case - unless it is a SMALL case with poor airflow. If Drive a averaged 20 Watts more power than drive B per day (home usage, not server), that would raise the cost over a Year by about 50 CENTS ( 20 x 365 /1000 times 7 Cents per KWatt hr.

Bottom Line go for (1) quality and (2) for performance.
Related resources
a c 361 G Storage
September 22, 2010 5:57:52 PM

The current hype says old original SATA (properly called SATA 1.5 Gb/s) is too slow, and reality is that nobody sells them any more. SATA II (really, SATA 3.0 Gb/s) has been "standard" for several years, may be faster and is VERY widely available. The new SATA 6.0 Gb/s has a name and a spec that says "twice as fast even!" BUT that is NOT so for mechanical drives - the ones with spinning disks and moving heads on arms. Those mechanical components limit the rate that the data can be located and read or written to much slower than the maximum speed of the data transmission interface, which is what the 6.0 Gb/s item is all about. NO mechanical HDD now can even get to the SATA 3.0 Gb/s rate, and there may never be any that fast. The 6.0 spec is actually used with benefit only with the new non-mechanical Solid State Drives. SO, when you buy a HDD, both SATA 3.0 Gb/s and 6.0 Gb/s units will perform the same (if their internals are the same); hence, don't pay extra for SATA 6.0 Gb/s if you don't have to.

All this has NOTHING to do with which manufacturer or which line is best. I'm only talking about the class of technology.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2010 7:27:29 PM

Hello,

One thing to consider is your MB and the SATA port, whether it's a 1.5 Gb/s, 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s port. Of course the newest SATA 6Gb/s drives are all backward compatible. If you want a 1TB HDD with speed, the WD Caviar Black (generates some addt heat), a compromise between speed and efficiency, the Caviar Blue, for energy savings the Caviar Green, which spins down when not in use & back up when addressed.

I'd choose the WD Caviar Black Model: WD1002FAEX Desktop Hard Drive
1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Gives you max performance and speed, is backward comtatible with older SATA ports, and if you get or build a new rig, the 6Gb/s drive can just be moved over to it. And the prices now are very good.

m
l
September 23, 2010 12:06:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. So none of you would recommend a Seagate drive?? I'll check how much WD drives cost. Should've mentioned it in the first post, but I'll use the drive for storing music and movies.
m
l
September 23, 2010 2:05:45 PM

Checked with the local dealer. The options that I have are:
WD Caviar Green: $75
WD Caviar Black: $87+
WD Caviar Blue: $78
Seagate Barracuda: $75

Which would be the best buy for me??
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 23, 2010 3:25:31 PM

jithint said:
Checked with the local dealer. The options that I have are:
WD Caviar Green: $75
WD Caviar Black: $87+
WD Caviar Blue: $78
Seagate Barracuda: $75

Which would be the best buy for me??

You'd be happy with any of them, but I'd probably choose the higher performers. The Seagate Barracuda or WD Gaciar Black. 1TB, 32MB Cachce, 7200, both transfer at 60-70 MB/s, 13.5-15ms.
m
l
September 24, 2010 11:49:42 AM

seagate suck, they have a higher disasterous failure rate...as for samsung, noone seems to have any input. the spinpoint F3 is less than 1/2 of the cost of a caviar black in my part of the world, for some unknown reason, and performs similarly, so im considering it. This is what I can get them for. Anyone care to share why there is such a price difference?
Western Digital black edition 64mb cache - $156 (AU$)
Western Digital Blue edition 32mb cache - $110 (AU$)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 32mb cache - $68 (AU$)
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:55:28 AM

I bought a Caviar Green WD10EARS for $68. thanks for all the replies.
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:45:51 AM

Best answer selected by jithint.
m
l
!