How Do I Play WMA Files From Server?

November 28, 2004 11:10:35 AM

I have an HP hx4700, and although I can open a window to where my .wma
files reside on my network server (NAS) - mostly .wma and some Word &
Excel, they won't run when I tap on them. I realize that a desktop version
of an Excel or Word file may not be digestible by the Pocket PC version of
that program, but why can't I open music files?

It seems reasonable to expect that if MS includes the ability to view
files on a server, that I should be able to open them.

Is there an obscure software switch that I need to set? Or do I need to
add a plug-in or something?

If you have time, please :cc your reply to
cewindows@george-ssppaamm-arthur.net, but delete the -ssppaamm- part.

Thanks! -GA

More about : play wma files server

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 3, 2004 1:34:44 AM

Paste a shortcut to your device, tap on the shortcut and it will play the
music file.

"George" <cewindows@george-ssppaamm-arthur.net> wrote in message
news:o Gd9LTW1EHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> I have an HP hx4700, and although I can open a window to where my .wma
> files reside on my network server (NAS) - mostly .wma and some Word &
> Excel, they won't run when I tap on them. I realize that a desktop version
> of an Excel or Word file may not be digestible by the Pocket PC version of
> that program, but why can't I open music files?
> It seems reasonable to expect that if MS includes the ability to view
> files on a server, that I should be able to open them.
> Is there an obscure software switch that I need to set? Or do I need to
> add a plug-in or something?
> If you have time, please :cc your reply to
> cewindows@george-ssppaamm-arthur.net, but delete the -ssppaamm- part.
> Thanks! -GA

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 5, 2004 8:43:41 AM

Hmm. That's almost *too* easy. Why are their sites that talk about using
Windows Media Encoder to stream your MP3's? I guess doing that sets up a
streaming music server which could be exposed to the internet for anyone to
listen. Makes sense now...

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com