Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power OFF a printer

Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2011 8:35:56 PM

Is it possible to power OFF a printer via script, command-line, or other software method? Or, if not power OFF, a setting or command (other than REMOVE) that would make the printer appear to be offline?

TIA,
Phil

More about : power printer

a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2011 10:18:01 PM

is the purpose to stop other people on the network printing when you dont want them to?
September 18, 2011 10:21:20 PM

No. The printer is shared over a home wireless network with only two computers.

The printer apparently interferes with the procedure when the system tries to resume after hibernate. When the printer is attached and ON, the system will not resume after hibernate. When the printer is attached and powered OFF, the system resumes OK. Detached it's OK, too. I'm thinking that if I could run a script that would check the printer status periodically (would have to be fairly frequently to be effective) and, if nothing is printing, set the printer to some sort of offline status or power it OFF. During my trouble shooting, I've been manually REMOVEing the printer before hibernate and that seems to get around the problem at wake-up time. But I'd rather not have to re-add it all the time when I want to print, so I'd rather not do the REMOVE in the script if I can find some other way that can be toggled more easily.

Why does it matter in the first place? When the system won't come out of hibernate on its own, a re-boot is required. Things like EXCEL get messy coming back up when the system is pulled out from under them. I can usually get back where I was without losing data, but it's a bit stressful and the user interface for that is not particularly well written IMHO. Often I have 4 or 5 workbooks open at once and I have to go through the procedure for each of them after the re-boot.

Of course, the "proper" fix would be to figure out why the printer interferes with the wake-up procedure. I had a similar problem with a very old printer and was never able to find anything I could do with power settings at either the device level or the system level to get it to behave. I resorted to detaching it and re-attaching it all the time and invariably forgot to detach. I decided that it was simply not compatible with Windows 7 and bought a brand new printer. Perhaps I should do the power-settings-troubleshooting on the this newer printer but I'm not optimistic that would lead to any solution.

Thanks for your reply, mcnumpty23.

-Phil
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2011 10:34:09 PM

Well, not what ya was asking before but the 1st thing I do when building / or working on someone else's problematic machine is disable hibernation. Another issue I frequently run into is hibernation permanently kludging backup software (requiring reinstall) an d messing with Windows scheduler.

Unless the user is a frequent traveler, hoping several flights a day or moving to different sites several times a day, hibernation is, IMO, not something worth messing with.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2011 10:58:57 PM

i dont use hibernate as i am using an ssd so deleting hyberfil.sys gives me a big amount of space back--but when i use sleep on mine i dont have any issues with the printer--im using an older model epson r265 with no difficulties

try using sleep rather than hibernate as hibernate is aimed more at laptops than desktops
September 21, 2011 5:36:58 PM

Thanks for your replies, jacknaylorpe and mcnumpty23. (I will try to mark both as "best answer". Grammatically incorrect but not sure the forum software cares about grammatical correctness.)

jack...<Well, not what ya was asking before> I was hoping that I could come up with a script that would make the printer look like it was OFF or OFFLINE. I'd set that script up to come alive frequently and, if the printer was not actually in use (printing), set it to that OFF status, which my testing shows might get rid of the not-waking problem. That would get around having to manually take the printer offline (how often would I forget to that?) I guess the script could simply serve as a reminder and not try to do the actual status change.

Yes, one of the computers is a desktop; the other is a not-frequent-flyer notebook. The printer is usb-attached to the desktop and is shared over a wireless network using windows printer-and-file-sharing. I've been troubleshooting the problem from the desktop side. There, the not waking problem occurs with BOTH hibernate and sleep. I don't know whether the power settings problem is an issue for the notebook.

Is it your sense that, from a power savings standpoint, hibernate does not yield much greater a benefit than sleep?
September 21, 2011 5:44:20 PM

Best answer selected by cellist.
September 21, 2011 5:48:23 PM

Mcnumty23's answer and jacknaylorpe's answser were equally helpful, but the forum does not permit me to choose both. I flipped a coin and... :bounce: 
a c 371 $ Windows 7
September 21, 2011 7:20:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!