Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2009 9:59:08 PM

So i recently purchased a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And im just wondering if i ever tried overclocking it via one of the ocing tools to like 700mhz or below and it did kill the card...would msi know? would my warranty be honored if the card was to die due to the overclocking and they didn't know?

Is there anyway they can find out i went past 655mhz? and 3 year limited warranty....what does limited mean?

Thanks!

Im definitely sick to my stomach about my purchase and i know i probably should have went with evga but oh well il know next time....probably should have payed the wee bit extra for a 4870 to but ohh well....

so yeah anyone care to assist in clearing my remorse....

More about : gtx 260 questions

a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2009 10:10:15 PM

Yup i overclocked mine at 715mhz and 1250 on memory with no problems. No it wont kill the card just turn up the fan of the card and it should stay cool. I doubt they can find out unless there are burned marks on the memory i believe, but dont worry they wont be able to tell. Msi will most likely replace it for a new one if the card has issues within the 3 year warranty period.
March 30, 2009 10:11:46 PM

Oh the travesty! there is no hugging emoticon :D 

Thanks for the input very very apreciated!:) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2009 10:15:19 PM

Haha no problem. Enjoy overclocking =P
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2009 10:17:49 PM

I just installed the exact same card. :)  Love it. It rocks some serious FPS.

Limited Warranty means just that. The warranty is limited. Certain amount of time, and to certain things. They don't cover this, that, the other thing, or anyone else who ever owns it beside you.

Here's what www.consumer-law.lawyers.com says about Limited Warranty:
Quote:
Q: What is a limited warranty?
A: A "limited" written warranty allows the manufacturer to include a provision that restricts the duration of implied warranties to the duration of the limited warranty. For example, a two-year limited warranty can limit implied warranties to two years. However, a "full" written warranty cannot limit the duration of implied warranties.

http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/warranty-law/Consumer-L...

As far as almost getting the 4870. I don't think you'll miss it. The GTX 260 Core 216 you got is a pretty darn solid card. Very competitive with the 4870 over all.
March 30, 2009 10:25:47 PM

I looked over about every damned benchmark with the two vsing off and the 260 shows like a 1-3% improvement at best...and it costs a slight bit less so thats why i choose it.....now im seeing the 4870 in benchmarks getting like 3 fps higher...... :( 

Again thanks for the input guys...

So you guys don't think there is a big difference between 1gb vs 896mb?

I can't wait to add the card to my future build as im currently working with an AMD 6000+....i haven't even tested the card as i don't have a psu to handle it...god forbid it be doa...but that sounds like it was mostly a 192 core problem...

Hopefully in the next 2 months il be able to upgrade my MB/CPU/CASE/FANS..etc by then im hoping to see a clearer choice between going with an E8500 vs the Q6600 or any other intel quad
March 30, 2009 10:51:51 PM

u can overclock 260 to 715MHz, and shaders to 1541MHz, as well 260 is working on much lower temperature then 4870, but overclocking memory may couse artefacts.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2009 11:02:42 PM

The E8500 will beat out the Q6600 in most gaming benchmarks with today's titles. It'll also OC to higher clock speeds.

However,the Quad Core does give you more options in the future (assuming they start doing better multithreaded applications).

As far as the 896MB of RAM vs 1024MB of RAM. I can't imagine there's going to be that huge of a difference anyhow. From benchmarks I've seen, the 4870 1GB and GTX 260 Core 216 can trade blows all day. Some games are optimized better for ATI and some better for nVidia. Then you also have to compare drivers, as performance fluctuates with driver releases too.

You'll be happy with your GTX 260. :) 
March 30, 2009 11:17:25 PM

I know iv been talking to a friend over this a ton and id love to have an 8500 at 4ghz but with games like gta already making friends with the quad core...i want to go as future proof as possible with my cpu

although this friend is swearing by the 8400-8500 id rather spend xx and go with a quad core now then have to spend xxx in a few months...what do you guys think

would the Q6600 be a good choice? i don't care to match the 8500 performances at 4ghz but it would seem if games start getting really dependant on the quad core the 8500's ghz won't mean jack and il have to slowly watch it fall behind the quads....is there a good quad core to get atm that can rival the 8400-8500 and will be up to games soon to come?

Im all for overclocking and taking the time to make sure everything is cool and working smoothly

thanks for the responses guys...im a little less regretful of my 260 now :D  to bad no one can help me on the msi wind...wanna buy it?

!