Worth OC'ing from current Stable 4.0Ghz @ 1.24v to 4.2Ghz w/ +vCore?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I have i7 930 currenly with stable OC @ 4.01Ghz (20 multi and 200 bBclk) with 1.24v. I tinkered with raising the multi to 21, thus bringing the OC to 4.2, but I recall increasing the vCore amount from 1.24 to significantly more.. Temps were still within acceptable range, so I suppose my question is: Is it worth potentially lessening the overall lifespan of the CPU simply for an extra .2Ghz? I'd like to maximize the OC to the max of my processor, but only if it's within safe means and won't have a detremential negative effect on the processor.. (I realize ANY OC in any form will somewhat compromise the lifespan but Im speaking in "reasonable" terms.

Here's my specs:

CPU: i7 930 2.8Ghz
Mobo: RIIE
Cooling: H50
RAM: Corsair 3-channel XMS @ 1600Mhz

Temps:
Idle @ 39C
100% Load Max Temp @ 83C

What do you guys think?

Solution
@shadow = I think youre a bit light on these processors, I think they can get much warmer than 65C
Absolutely. But for long term use, most here don't recommend going beyond 65-70C with 100% load (normal, load, not P95 load). It all depends on how soon you plan to replace the CPU.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
You should really not be hitting 83 if you want to be reasonable. Thats a little high, and might reduce life span. You really should be aiming at 75 max. And the extra .2 would make almost no noticeable difference for you.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah, I know these load temps are on the high side, but as I stated, under real-world scenarios (which really technically are all that matter) such as gaming, photoshop or CPU intensive apps, the core temps never have exceeded mid 70's.

Also, just for the heck of it, I ran RealTemp on my laptop (which is Core2Duo P7550 CPU) and temps quite often exceed 70-80C under normal usage. So I think thees processors are rated to withstand much higher temps than people seem to think.

Also, dropping to 3.8Ghz I dont think will make that much difference, as far as temps go. I've tried that before and ran a torture test and they always soar far past the 70's range.

I really am at a loss now, I've read many threads of people with same processor and cooling (H50) as I and they are able to achieve 60's or 70's max load temps. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get within this range. The second I begin the test it jumps from 39C all the way up to 70C, and each second thereafter it gradually gets warmer and warmer.

What is supposed to happen? It just hits 75C and stays there?? Mine just keeps climbing, as I said, then finally seems to level off around 85C. Im sure if I kept the test on for a longer duration I'd probably be in the high 90's, very close to the max operating temps that Intel themsevles recommend.

So I have no idea what to do at this point.. I have ambient temp around 66F, (not sure what that is C, sorry), push/pull config to aftermarket Cooler Master 80CFM fans, have attempted to remount over a dozen times, applied AS5 fresh each time also. I Also returned one H50 for fear I might have gotten a busted one, but that didnt do anything, still same temps. Then I returned the PROCESSOR, thinking maybe I just got a "hot" runnning processor. But that didn't have any effect, either. So if anyone has any other ideas to help me out they will be well received.

However, I've been running this 4.0Ghz OC @ 1.24v for a few weeks now with steady usage and gameplay, and comp is 100% stable, and temps never exceed mid 70's. In the end, this is the true test of system stability , no?

anonymousdude

Distinguished
AS5 does have a cure time and that should bring your temps down a couple of degrees. What case do you have anf how many fans do you have installed. Are your graphics cards oc'ed as well as this will cause the internal case temp to rise and subsequently the proc temp to rise as well. Do the people in the other threads have identical overclocks and similar cases with similar airflow?It is also possible that you have applied too much, too little, or incorrectly applied the as5. I mean there are so many variables involved it is hard to pinpoint your exact problem. While processors can withstand high temps it is not good for it to do so. Not like you have much choice in a laptop.

The Mobile CPUs and Desktop GPUs have different temp ratings. The 330M for example has a TjMax of 90-105C: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47663

Where as the TjMax for the i7 920 is ~90-95C. I personally wouldn't run the CPU more than 65C under load if you plan to keep the CPU for a while as electromigration would be pretty bad at mid 70s.

My advice: Get a 2nd fan for the H50 in push pull or ditch the H50 for a top end ait cooler. You made a bad choice in getting the H50 imo. 66F is ~19C.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah i see what ur saying but airflow wouldn't cause this much of a margin off temp differences. I have HAF 922, about 7 fans, and have H50 utilizing push pull config. If I simply run a torture test right after a cold start It will still do this, so internal case temps have nothing it do with this.

@shadow = I think youre a bit light on these processors, I think they can get much warmer than 65C, but I will be wiki-ing eletromigration to see what that is lol