Sign in with
Your question

4850 X2 vs 4870 vs 260 core 216

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2009 12:57:34 AM

Hey folks , I plan to upgrade my video card in 2-3 months and with my current system SLI and CF is not an option. I have done some research and come to 3 choices , either the 4870 , 4850 X2 or nvidia 260 core 216.With most benchies i see the 4850 X2 pound all except the 4870 X2 and nvidia 295 , but my main concern is the CF scalability ( the X2's act like a CF setup cept on one pcb) I don't want to have the performance of a 4850 until i run a game the supports CF.....The games i mainly run are WoW , COD 4 , Grid ,Bioshock ,also would love to have Crysis and few others , but afraid my current gpu is showing its age.

Current setup:
Core2duo e6750 OC'd to 3.2 , Gigabyte p35 DS3L ,4 gigs of Patriot extreme ddr2 800 , Nvidia 8800 gt 512 OC'd to 710/900 ,750 watt psu 36 amps on the 12 v rail
running Vista home 64

so any help on narrowing down my choices would be awesome :)  thanks in Advance.

More about : 4850 4870 260 core 216

a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 1:07:04 AM

Go for a 4870, it's around $130 (512mb) and will be more than enough for all your games except Crysis. You can probably max out Crysis on VH or UH-mod at 1280x1024, or high on higher resolutions.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 1:10:19 AM

OP didnt mention his screen size/resolution, which is the #1 factor in choosing a graphics card now.
Related resources
March 31, 2009 6:19:54 AM

Sorry for the lag in response was at work , I'm getting a 24" monitor (Hopefully in a month or 2) at 1900x1080 and from what i can read on most benchies my current card has some problems with current titles at that monitor's native res.Plus I'm a hardware nerd , but the wife gave me a budget so i can only really afford around 700-800 bucks Canadian for both ,and i plan to do a system rebuild in Dec '09 (CPU ,MOBO,Ram and the such) so no sense going nuts upgrading my aging platform.

I jus wanna make my system seem spiffy till i got the cash for a real full upgrade , thanks both for your response.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 7:11:35 AM

hosereh said:
Hey folks , I plan to upgrade my video card in 2-3 months and with my current system SLI and CF is not an option. I have done some research and come to 3 choices , either the 4870 , 4850 X2 or nvidia 260 core 216.With most benchies i see the 4850 X2 pound all except the 4870 X2 and nvidia 295 , but my main concern is the CF scalability ( the X2's act like a CF setup cept on one pcb) I don't want to have the performance of a 4850 until i run a game the supports CF.....The games i mainly run are WoW , COD 4 , Grid ,Bioshock ,also would love to have Crysis and few others , but afraid my current gpu is showing its age.

Current setup:
Core2duo e6750 OC'd to 3.2 , Gigabyte p35 DS3L ,4 gigs of Patriot extreme ddr2 800 , Nvidia 8800 gt 512 OC'd to 710/900 ,750 watt psu 36 amps on the 12 v rail
running Vista home 64

so any help on narrowing down my choices would be awesome :)  thanks in Advance.

Well within a few days, ATI and Nvidia are launching new cards...So by the time you buy the graphics card - "I plan to upgrade my video card in 2-3 months "
There will be better choices...So wait till then and decide...
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 1:22:59 PM

COD 4 , Grid ,Bioshock [... said:
]COD 4 , Grid ,Bioshock [...]

for these games definitely go for a 4870, or in the future a 4890.

also would love to have Crysis said:
also would love to have Crysis

get a gtx260-216, the textures not loading for the 4870 made me want to throw my 4870 away.

hopefully the new 4890 will fix that issue, oh and the 4870 does a little microstuttering (with some FPS games)as well, too bad online benchmarks dont really look into it and ATI had me at this. but in terms of third person shooters / isometric RTS/RPG cams its all good.

anyway since most of your games heavily favor the ati, go for it. but then again be noted that none of your choices are bad, they're all good, albeit the 4850x2.
March 31, 2009 1:50:22 PM

you seem to be the only one with that problem, and that Say's more about you than it does about the card, go for the 4870 1gig it consistently out performs the 260-216
March 31, 2009 2:09:43 PM

wh3resmycar said:
for these games definitely go for a 4870, or in the future a 4890.

get a gtx260-216, the textures not loading for the 4870 made me want to throw my 4870 away.

I am not sure about your card but I have absolutely no problems running Crysis.
I have the HIS HD4870 1GB

I love it go for the hd4870
March 31, 2009 2:21:07 PM

correct me if i am wrong , but isn't the 4890 a die shrink and core clock bump a la the 285?I'll probably jus get 4870 as the prices for the "new" card will be w wee bit out of my budget.As for the 4850 X2 ,I'm still not sure if the scalability is good enuff to warrant the heat in my system , nevermind the fact that when running none CF supporting games i get use of only one core.Side question , how many games support CF/SLI these days?
March 31, 2009 2:35:33 PM

Most of the new games support CF/SLI.
Its up to you and how much money you want to spend.
With current games One hd4870 will do you just fine.
As new and more demanding games emerge you can always get a second 4870 and crossfire it for additional performance.

Cheers
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 3:12:07 PM

I have the HIS HD4870 1GB said:
I have the HIS HD4870 1GB

i doubt you're not experiencing the textures not loading fast enough (you need to walk near the object for example, a leaf or a treebark, to have it fully covered with texture). 16xAF was suppose to fix that, it didnt in my case. the same way with my previous 4850. does it too with farcry2.

even some distant textures wont load @ all (look @ some distant mountains after the tank mission).

you seem to be the only one with that problem, and that Say's more about you than it does about the card, go for the 4870 1gig it [b said:
consistently out performs the 260-216]you seem to be the only one with that problem, and that Say's more about you than it does about the card, go for the 4870 1gig it consistently out performs the 260-216
[/b]

well i know you. you're the guy preaching image quality with a 3850. incase you havent noticed http://guru3d.com/article/inno3d-geforce-gtx-ichill-accelero-xxx-review--test/11. (define consistently)

and that says more about you than it does about reality.

and yeah, there must be another special secret way of installing ccc other than the usual uninstall-driversweep-install.

anyhow,if you're getting a 260-216 better get the 55nm revision as they can clock higher (can forcefully oc'd to 650mhz core). because if you're getting the old 65nm 260-216, just stick with a 4870 1gb instead.
March 31, 2009 3:47:26 PM

^^pure bull
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2009 4:03:24 PM

^^pure bull said:
^^pure bull

of course, facts are always BS for fanbois. nvidia paid guru3d. yup.

oh btw, do you own a 4870?
March 31, 2009 6:12:56 PM

wh3resmycar said:
i doubt you're not experiencing the textures not loading fast enough (you need to walk near the object for example, a leaf or a treebark, to have it fully covered with texture). 16xAF was suppose to fix that, it didnt in my case. the same way with my previous 4850. does it too with farcry2.

even some distant textures wont load @ all (look @ some distant mountains after the tank mission).

Not really, the only time I notice loading textures is the first instance the game starts, after that everything is smooth, no more texture laggs.
Also I am not sure if you have the 512MB or 1GB version but I can say that the 1GB version outperforms the 512MB at high resolutions.
I play at 1920x1080 and it performs great.

Currently I have my card at 820/1000 Idle temp 48C Full Load Temp 69C
I have teh Artic-Cooling Twin Turbo Cooler and a stock Heatsink for the VRMs see the picture above for the VRMs heatsink.

At first I used the VRM heatsinks that came with the twin turbo but I found them not to perofrm as well. VRM temp would go up to 110C full load.
With stock HIS VRM Heatsink right now my max VRM temps are 89C.

Awesome combo.

I am planing to get a second HIS HD4870 1GB when 4890 goes out nad prices drop to what they should be without the rebates.

hosereh this is a great card dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

I would say if you r MObo supports Crossfire deffinetly go for it, if not make your own pick. 216 is a good pick too, for some reason I like the 4870 better, but thats my opinion.

Cheers
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 1:52:10 AM

the only bs around here is coming from you said:
the only bs around here is coming from you

yeah and guru3d was paid by nvidia right? lol. for a 3850 owner you really have a big mouth.

Not really, the only time I notice loading textures is the first instance the game starts, after that everything is smooth, no more texture laggs. said:
Not really, the only time I notice loading textures is the first instance the game starts, after that everything is smooth, no more texture laggs.

you mean you dont experience this? maybe you're not looking that far away lol.

the texture on the mountain becomes clearer as you move closer to it but it wont fully load it as its impossible to get too close to it. its hurts the view really, god they're ugly.

this was taken on a 48701gb 790/1050, very high settings, no AA / 16xAF.

April 1, 2009 2:06:50 AM

ATI cards have known to have visual bugs ATI fan boys stfu *** happens, anyways that bug isn't that bad unless i'm really looking at it i wont notice how ugly that *** is.

Crysis runs better on a 260 lets leave it at that.

I don't remember which cards perform better for bioshock etc but you can easily look that up.

If all else fails flip a coin between 4870 and 260
April 1, 2009 3:02:39 AM

IzzyCraft said:
ATI cards have known to have visual bugs ATI fan boys stfu *** happens, anyways that bug isn't that bad unless i'm really looking at it i wont notice how ugly that *** is.

Crysis runs better on a 260 lets leave it at that.

I don't remember which cards perform better for bioshock etc but you can easily look that up.

If all else fails flip a coin between 4870 and 260

Wow, thanks for the meaningful and profesional opinion.
If I realy have time to pause my game and zoom in on the top of the mountain so I can see how ugly the side of rock is I will let you know.

As I said before Crysis runs very smooth and you won’t notice any problems running it on the HD4870 and you won’t see any IQ downsides unless I quote "you pause your game and you zoom in on the furthest mountain pick and you look at the side of the rock, which will surely lower your gaming experience” so please try to refrain from doing such a detailed analysis when playing under heavy action.
April 1, 2009 3:31:25 AM

Euphoria_MK said:
Wow, thanks for the meaningful and profesional opinion.
If I realy have time to pause my game and zoom in on the top of the mountain so I can see how ugly the side of rock is I will let you know.

As I said before Crysis runs very smooth and you won’t notice any problems running it on the HD4870 and you won’t see any IQ downsides unless I quote "you pause your game and you zoom in on the furthest mountain pick and you look at the side of the rock, which will surely lower your gaming experience” so please try to refrain from doing such a detailed analysis when playing under heavy action.

you hit nail on the head, the guy obviously has buyers remorse, and is looking for some kind of excuse
April 1, 2009 5:20:26 AM

Lol , takes a Nvidia fan boi to get feathers flying , I have an idea , you buy what you want ,no need to slap folks in the face with yer E-pen because nvidia pawns or ATI is the shiznat . Hell from the benchies i look at both companys card kicks arse jus in different games.For me i have no name brand loyalty i have owned both brands and they worked like a champ , as for my current choices i think its wicked that i have so many options.Jus wish i had the cash to pony up for a new system to run CF and or SLI , sigh theres always 7 months down the road , counts the seconds lol
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 5:26:18 AM

the guy obviously has buyers remorse, said:
the guy obviously has buyers remorse,

what remorse? my 4870 is uber smooth with cod4 , uber smooth with grid. 2 competitive multiplayer games that made me decide to get a 4870, because i will play them a lot versus crysis (1 time big time play through), not to mention the 4870 loves CAPCOM games which im also really looking forward, too.

f I realy have time to pause my game and zoom in on the top of the mountain so I can see how ugly the side of rock is I will let you know. said:
f I realy have time to pause my game and zoom in on the top of the mountain so I can see how ugly the side of rock is I will let you know.

well looky here, you're a pro yourself. whatdya mean paused and zoom in. that screenie was made via fraps realtime. you'll really notice that when you're moving from 1 valley to the next. assuming you know the difference between a bad filtered texture and a good filtered texture you'll understand where im coming from. i dont want to be surrounded with bad-filtred texture

As I said before Crysis runs very smooth and you won’t notice any problems running it on the HD4870 and you won’t see any IQ downsides unless I quote "you pause your game and you zoom in on the furthest mountain pick and you look at the side of the rock, said:
As I said before Crysis runs very smooth and you won’t notice any problems running it on the HD4870 and you won’t see any IQ downsides unless I quote "you pause your game and you zoom in on the furthest mountain pick and you look at the side of the rock,

i didnt said it doest run smooth, hell it pulls 40fps outdoors. thats not even the farthest mountain. i just dont like my virtual world covered with "semi bilinear filtered" texture. i want my vworld smooth and shiny, too bad you dont lol.

now tell that to the fan boy who's preaching IQ with a 3850 who just wont STFU. bet he's playing games with aniso off lol. yet he still posts crap like he knows something.
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 5:47:01 AM

Get yourself the ultimate Crysis gfx mod...aka the "Cuban Ultima Doom Arch Assassin Taowolf Sword's Custom Crysis Config [CCC] v2.21"

It reduces some of the issues.

Here's a screenie - behold the glory!
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 1:46:40 PM

might try that, but im not a big fan of mods.
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 2:26:17 PM

@ the fan boy

you always make a jood job making an a** out of yourself. remember this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262015-33-4850-4870-mixed-xfire-o_o. i had that bookmarked for sheer laughs, if you're a viral video you'd be extremely popular by now.

good job too on posting the link from xbitlabs. now lets see, did you even reach college? the fact that the website A has the gtx260 winning and website B has the 4870 winning is a sign of "INCONSISTENCY". so much for being CONSISTENTLY CONSISTENT eh?
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 6:29:33 PM

It's not necessarily a mod, but more of what Crysis should've been in the first place. Remember all those crazy awesome graphics that were near photorealism in the Crysis posters - and then when the actual game came out it wasn't nearly as photorealistic?

This "tweak" changes the shadows and HDR in the graphics files (basically just changes the coding, so not really modding) to enable Crysis Ultra-High mode beyond Very High.
April 14, 2009 2:22:48 PM

DaRtH_VaDeR said:
no it does not, the 260-216 out performs the 4870....
http://techgage.com/article/ati_hd_4870_1gb_vs_nvidia_g...

Lol, lol, lol... how about trying to use some more recent benchmark like from 2009?

Here is the latest benchmarks from Toms Hardware themselves: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4890,2262-6.html

Now lets look at price:

HD4870 512MB with no rebate $159.99 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140 or $139.99 after rebate

HD4870 1GB with no rebate $184.99 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161269

HD4870 1GB after rebate $169.00 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125256

GTX260 core 216 without rebate $169.00 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130463

GTX260 core 216 after $30 rebate $159.99 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127409

So basically the cards are about the same, with hd4870 512MB being about $20 cheaper. With ATI you get some features like Sound over HDMI and DX10.1 support but hten you get Physx support ont he GTX 260.

As always it comes down to the user.... Just stop with all the bull about the superiority of the GTX 260... PLease.....
!