S2 - Deleting "stuck" Sims

Well, I found out the hard way that it doesn't work like it did in Sims 1,
where deleting meant restoring Sims who'd become stuck or otherwise needed
to be reset.

One of my college Sims at the Le Tour school that came with the game (the
guy whose girlfriend has a dorky brother there and they have a band
upstairs) got stuck in place when I moved the bass guitar he was playing
using the moveObjects on cheat. I was able to move him away from the bass,
so I moved him out to the yard to give him some space, but he continued to
just stand there. I had other Sims try to talk sense into him, but to no
avail. Even the nutty Llama guy couldn't faze him! His needs were dropping
steadily, so in a moment of habit, I deleted him and then found I could not
bring him back. :( His sister and the other kid still have him in their
relationship list but show no signs of noticing his absence.

Would it have been better for me to have let him die, or was there some
other way to remedy the situation?

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
13 answers Last reply
More about deleting stuck sims

    I think if you grab him and delete him you need to exit the lot and then
    come back into it again WITHOUT exiting the game. If you do that, he should
    be there by the mailbox when you go back. But exiting the game deletes him
    permanently. At least, that's what I understand - I've never had to do it
    personally.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > I think if you grab him and delete him you need to exit the lot and
    > then come back into it again WITHOUT exiting the game. If you do
    > that, he should be there by the mailbox when you go back. But
    > exiting the game deletes him permanently. At least, that's what I
    > understand - I've never had to do it personally.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >

    > "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, I found out the hard way that it doesn't work like it did in
    >> Sims 1, where deleting meant restoring Sims who'd become stuck or
    >> otherwise needed to be reset.

    Dang it, I should have minimized the game and looked around a few places for
    that answer. Well, if it's a Maxis-created family, then there should be a
    package file to re-install, no?

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    >I think if you grab him and delete him you need to exit the lot and then
    > come back into it again WITHOUT exiting the game. If you do that, he
    > should
    > be there by the mailbox when you go back. But exiting the game deletes
    > him
    > permanently. At least, that's what I understand - I've never had to do it
    > personally.

    I exited the game the other day and Dirk Dreamer was there by the mailbox
    when I came back.

    Gareeth

    If it's a Maxis created family you can reset (to the beginning) your whole
    neighbourhood (and all the others) by removing the games folders and running
    the game. You could copy back any neighbourhoods you want to keep (except
    the one you want to reset). I don't play the Maxis neighbourhoods so I
    don't know where the character files are kept - sorry.

    That's a bit extreme but it might help - however, it will obviously wipe out
    everything else as well. You could try resurrecting the sim. You can do
    that with University installed - and maybe SimPE does that as well (but I'm
    not sure how).

    Maxon wrote:
    > If it's a Maxis created family you can reset (to the beginning) your
    > whole neighbourhood (and all the others) by removing the games
    > folders and running the game. You could copy back any neighbourhoods
    > you want to keep (except the one you want to reset). I don't play
    > the Maxis neighbourhoods so I don't know where the character files
    > are kept - sorry.
    >
    > That's a bit extreme but it might help - however, it will obviously
    > wipe out everything else as well. You could try resurrecting the
    > sim. You can do that with University installed - and maybe SimPE
    > does that as well (but I'm not sure how).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    <making notes> I was wondering how to do that just the other day in fact,
    thinking that I needed to go back and play Cassandra Goth again and see what
    happens.

    Jeanie

    Maxon wrote:
    > If it's a Maxis created family you can reset (to the beginning) your
    > whole neighbourhood (and all the others) by removing the games
    > folders and running the game. You could copy back any neighbourhoods
    > you want to keep (except the one you want to reset). I don't play
    > the Maxis neighbourhoods so I don't know where the character files
    > are kept - sorry.

    Do you mean to just remove the neighborhood folder for that neighborhood?
    Is that how I could delete a custom neighborhood if I wanted to? I created
    one that I never did play much and would like to get it out of the lineup.
    If I do that to neighborhood one, will it come back?

    Jeanie

    > That's a bit extreme but it might help - however, it will obviously
    > wipe out everything else as well. You could try resurrecting the
    > sim. You can do that with University installed - and maybe SimPE
    > does that as well (but I'm not sure how).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
    >> Maxon wrote:
    >>> I think if you grab him and delete him you need to exit the lot and
    >>> then come back into it again WITHOUT exiting the game. If you do
    >>> that, he should be there by the mailbox when you go back. But
    >>> exiting the game deletes him permanently. At least, that's what I
    >>> understand - I've never had to do it personally.
    >>>
    >>> Best wishes
    >>> Maxon
    >>>

    >>> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dang it, I should have minimized the game and looked around a few
    >> places for that answer. Well, if it's a Maxis-created family, then
    >> there should be a package file to re-install, no?
    >>

    >> ---
    >> Michelle
    >> (SeaShel)
    >>
    >> free the fish to reply

    I'd delete a custom neighbourhood from inside the game if you want to get
    rid of it altogether - deleting stuff manually seems to cause problems as
    the game files are interlinked. If you want to copy a neighbourhood folder,
    just made a copy somewhere else.

    Removing the whole set of folders in My Documents causes the game to reset
    the original folders so if you have a neighbourhood you want to keep, you
    need to make a copy and then copy it back into the games folders. I've
    never done this last bit myself, BTW.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > I'd delete a custom neighbourhood from inside the game if you want to
    > get rid of it altogether - deleting stuff manually seems to cause
    > problems as the game files are interlinked. If you want to copy a
    > neighbourhood folder, just made a copy somewhere else.
    >
    > Removing the whole set of folders in My Documents causes the game to
    > reset the original folders so if you have a neighbourhood you want to
    > keep, you need to make a copy and then copy it back into the games
    > folders. I've never done this last bit myself, BTW.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    Thanks!

    Jeanie

    Maxon wrote:
    > I'd delete a custom neighbourhood from inside the game if you want to
    > get rid of it altogether - deleting stuff manually seems to cause
    > problems as the game files are interlinked. If you want to copy a
    > neighbourhood folder, just made a copy somewhere else.
    >
    > Removing the whole set of folders in My Documents causes the game to
    > reset the original folders so if you have a neighbourhood you want to
    > keep, you need to make a copy and then copy it back into the games
    > folders. I've never done this last bit myself, BTW.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    And yet another stupid question....

    How do you delete an entire neighborhood from within the game? I know there
    is a cheat command that deletes all the characters in a neighborhood, but
    how do you get rid of the neighborhood itself? I've wanted to delete one
    and I've looked around and not been able to find how to do it.

    Jeanie -- thanks for your help

    > Maxon wrote:
    > > If it's a Maxis created family you can reset (to the beginning) your
    > > whole neighbourhood (and all the others) by removing the games
    > > folders and running the game. You could copy back any neighbourhoods
    > > you want to keep (except the one you want to reset). I don't play
    > > the Maxis neighbourhoods so I don't know where the character files
    > > are kept - sorry.
    >
    > Do you mean to just remove the neighborhood folder for that neighborhood?
    > Is that how I could delete a custom neighborhood if I wanted to? I
    created
    > one that I never did play much and would like to get it out of the lineup.
    > If I do that to neighborhood one, will it come back?
    >
    > Jeanie

    You can delete unwanted neighbourhoods from inside the game. Simply select
    them and rather than clicking the enter button use the delete one instead.

    To refresh a neighbourhood back to it's original state you need to remove
    the entire neighbourhoods folder. If you only want to refresh N002 then
    simply move the entire neighbourhoods folder to a safe place and when the
    game has booted and recreated your original neighbourhoods place and that
    you wished to keep back into the recreated folder.

    MM

    OK - you just go to the select neighbourhood screen (where you get when you
    first load up), press the little box for the neighbourhood you want to
    delete (DO NOT enter the neighbourhood). On the screen that pops up, there
    should be one of those little trash can signs (RH side I think) you also see
    if you delete content from build and buy modes. Press that, you'll get a
    'Are you really sure you want to delete this neighbourhood screen, Yes/No'
    box and press Yes. Universities are a little more tricky because you can
    only delete a university from a neighbourhood if you already have two
    universities associated with that neighbourhood (I found that out last
    night - I'm making custom universities for my main neighbourhood - basically
    less American - I'm English).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Maxon wrote:
    > > I'd delete a custom neighbourhood from inside the game if you want to
    > > get rid of it altogether - deleting stuff manually seems to cause
    > > problems as the game files are interlinked. If you want to copy a
    > > neighbourhood folder, just made a copy somewhere else.
    > >
    > > Removing the whole set of folders in My Documents causes the game to
    > > reset the original folders so if you have a neighbourhood you want to
    > > keep, you need to make a copy and then copy it back into the games
    > > folders. I've never done this last bit myself, BTW.
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    > >
    > And yet another stupid question....
    >
    > How do you delete an entire neighborhood from within the game? I know
    there
    > is a cheat command that deletes all the characters in a neighborhood, but
    > how do you get rid of the neighborhood itself? I've wanted to delete one
    > and I've looked around and not been able to find how to do it.
    >
    > Jeanie -- thanks for your help

    Oh thanks MM - I didn't realise it was just the neighbourhoods folder.
    Makes sense.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Madame Mim wrote:
    > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >> Maxon wrote:
    >>> If it's a Maxis created family you can reset (to the beginning) your
    >>> whole neighbourhood (and all the others) by removing the games
    >>> folders and running the game. You could copy back any
    >>> neighbourhoods you want to keep (except the one you want to reset).
    >>> I don't play the Maxis neighbourhoods so I don't know where the
    >>> character files are kept - sorry.
    >>
    >> Do you mean to just remove the neighborhood folder for that
    >> neighborhood? Is that how I could delete a custom neighborhood if I
    >> wanted to? I created one that I never did play much and would like
    >> to get it out of the lineup. If I do that to neighborhood one, will
    >> it come back?
    >>
    >> Jeanie
    >
    > You can delete unwanted neighbourhoods from inside the game. Simply
    > select them and rather than clicking the enter button use the delete
    > one instead.
    >
    > To refresh a neighbourhood back to it's original state you need to
    > remove the entire neighbourhoods folder. If you only want to refresh
    > N002 then simply move the entire neighbourhoods folder to a safe
    > place and when the game has booted and recreated your original
    > neighbourhoods place and that you wished to keep back into the
    > recreated folder.
    >
    > MM

    Thank you, I'll try that.
    I really appreciate the help that you guys have given me.

    Jeanie

Sims Games Video Games