Sign in with
Your question

Can I combine different ways to overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 11, 2010 2:57:52 AM

I have read in an overclockers.com sticky how to overclock using frequency and voltage. I have also heard of people telling about using a multiplier to overclock. Are both of these separate ways to overclock or are they supposed to be used in conjunction with each other? What are other ways to overclock that I can read about? Where can I read about using the capability (I don't remember what it is exactly) that the black edition CPUs have that others don't?

More about : combine ways overclock

October 11, 2010 3:30:20 AM

Generaly you would lower the multiplier of the CPU to keep other frequencies from rising up and limiting the CPU overclock. Lower the multiplier and you generally get a higher stabler overclock. Raising the voltage is a way to squeeze just a little more out of your CPU. You find it is unstable after a boot-up testing your overclock, raise the voltage. If that doesn't help then lower the clock till it is stable. Hope this helps brother.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 11, 2010 5:00:11 AM

jwaldron1 said:
Generaly you would lower the multiplier of the CPU to keep other frequencies from rising up and limiting the CPU overclock.

You have it backwards.

The Black Editions have unlocked multipliers. For those, you do the "increase multiplier, test, increase voltage" cycle until it doesn't work. Then you back it down until it does work.

Then you work with frequencies and do the same thing until you either reach your goal or cannot go farther.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 5:11:05 AM

thx for the response...the part where you say work with frequencies -not sure what you mean on that. My guess is that there are two separate voltage settings that I use to overclock, one with the multiplier and another with the frequency, am I correct?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2010 2:40:34 PM

The voltage is the cpu voltage for both
m
l
October 14, 2010 6:01:55 AM

Is overclocking the multiplier and the fsb both a good thing to do?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 14, 2010 12:13:48 PM

Its not a bad thing I found my highest overclock from a mixture of both though it was only 20Mhz higher than either just the multiplier or frequency.
m
l
October 14, 2010 4:32:44 PM

What does frequency look like in the BIOs and how how much should should each increment be?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 14, 2010 9:16:19 PM

On an unlocked chip, increasing the multiplier is the simplest way to overclock. Besides the internal multiplier, the only thing you need to change is the core voltage.
m
l
!