How to open an old sata drive in a new computer

My old computer broke down so I removed the sata hard drive (vista os) and put it in a caddy and connected it to my new pc (win7 os) my new pc recognises the hd I have an icon for it, I have checked the status and it's working fine, but I can't access my files. I right clicked my computer clicked disc management and the the hd is not initialised when I try ti initialise it I get the warning pop up disc is not ready.
how can I access my files from my old hd?
1 answer Last reply
More about open sata drive computer
  1. birumaki said:
    My old computer broke down so I removed the sata hard drive (vista os) and put it in a caddy and connected it to my new pc (win7 os) my new pc recognises the hd I have an icon for it, I have checked the status and it's working fine, but I can't access my files. I right clicked my computer clicked disc management and the the hd is not initialised when I try ti initialise it I get the warning pop up disc is not ready.
    how can I access my files from my old hd?

I think the only way is to boot from the vista drive. I guess your asking about files in user accounts which requires log into these accounts. If you can get Vista to boot simple move these files to root in an unprotected directory, better yet burn the to DVD, or put them on a flash drive. Reboot into windows 7 and reformat the HD or find a way to dual boot the 2 if thats your wish.

You may want to unconnect your windows 7 HD and use your Vista as the boot drive. When Vista boots depending on your OS you may get a code and Microsoft phone number to call. You may have to cry to them about your old system frying so they release your OS for your new motherboard.

If vista has trouble booting you may have to run Startup Repair. Here is a link that may help with this if your motherboard and hardware is different from your old.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

Its possible if this is an OEM Vista it may not be transferable which in this case I'm not sure what an MS rep may have you do.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Computer HD Storage