Sudden start-up problem

G

Hi, all of a sudden my machine will not start up.

First I get a "NTLDR is missing" message, which I understand is a message that appears if a USB device is plugged in that shouldn't be at start-up. So I unplug all USB devices except for the keyboard, then after restarting, I get a message: "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and restart".

I went into my bios setup and checked my hard drives, and for some reason, only my external hard drive is listed. I'm a little shocked and worried.

Can anyone help?

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hello, is your hard drive listed in hard drive boot priority in BIOS? If so, select this one as first boot device. If its not there then there is 3 possibilities that come to mind: 1) SATA data or power cable came loose either from motherboard or HDD, so make sure that's not the case if you can 2) HDD major failure (try and see if it works on another computer or an external enclosure if available 3) Power supply near end of life and can't power up all devices -> try and disconnect unneeded components like cdroms, other hdds etc and see if it works or try another PSU

G

Hi, thanks for your advice. I checked the boot priority list and only my external hard drive is there.

I'll go through your possibilties one by one to see if I can figure out the problem then get back to you.

Thanks