Sign in with
Your question

Cool'n'Quiet with overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
October 11, 2010 8:10:28 PM

Hi, i just overclocked my 955 from 3.2 to 3.5 (17.5 x 200) and actually undervolt my cpu to 1.325v and tested it with prime95 and everything is going great...
i just wonder if i have to disable Cool'n'Quiet feature, coz i dont understand the relation of disabling it with overclocking
for i've seen in alot of other threads that Cool'n'Quiet should be disabled with overclocking and making changes to the volt?!
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 12, 2010 9:21:59 AM

If it works OK enabled you can leave it, I found that games crashed when there was no activity when I overclocked with it enabled.
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:07:39 PM

I would disable it...
Cool'n'Quiet trottles the processor thus raising and lowering the volts. If it lowers the volts to reduce heat while the cpu is not stressed you could randomly reboot because the voltage dropped.

Besides if you are overclocking your looking for hot 'n' loud = fast :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 3:54:20 AM

Normally yes, you should disable CnQ when OCing, though you are lucky to be OCing by just changing the multiplier, meaning the idle states will still be at the same frequency. This means that you can OC your cpu (like you did) but still have the benefits of CnQ.

A way you can test this is by limiting your cpu speed through windows (go to screen saver->change power settings->change plan settings->change advanced power settings->processor power management. Limit the speed with a percentage, run cpuz to see the exact frequency, and run prime 95 for the idle states to test stability.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 3:57:17 AM

grieve said:
I would disable it...
Cool'n'Quiet trottles the processor thus raising and lowering the volts. If it lowers the volts to reduce heat while the cpu is not stressed you could randomly reboot because the voltage dropped.

CnQ always throttles the frequency simultaneously with the voltage, meaning the cpu should never become unstable to the change.
m
l
October 19, 2010 6:19:55 PM

Cool'n'Quiet is working fine on my Athlon II 440 with the L3 cache unlocked and a 100MHz overclock so I have just left it. However the CPU fan does not seem to drop to its lowest RPM anymore after the unlock but its not loud enough to bother me, CPU-Z shows the CPU dropping to 800MHZ when idle or using low load programs as it should do.
m
l
!