fideskairuach

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Here is my setup:

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Black Box ed. oc'd 3.01, EVGA 590SLI mobo
Corsair 4gb TWIN2X10248-6400C4DHX 4-4-4-12 2.1v
EVGA 768mb 9600GSO, EVGA 8600GT used for Physx
IDE Seagate barracuda hard drive, IDE samsung DVDRW/CW
SATA Seagate Barracuda (transitioning to SATA)
Windows XP32 (didn’t know about the RAM limitation when I bought the 4 sticks of ram)

Okay, came back from vacation having left the computer hooked up during that time. When I got back, I turned the computer on and the digital readout on the motherboard would keep on cycling. Nothing would show on the screen, no beeps no nothing.

Thought it was the power supply, so I ditched the ultra psu and got a Corsair 650tx. Took out the 8600gt to redo cables to my IDE drives and didn’t put it back in after I got the other power supply in. Booted up, windows loaded just fine, problem solved.

Recently I decided to get that 8600gt back in. When I did that, problem happened again, the numbers on my mobo’s digital readout would keep cycling, no post, no beep even. So I turned the computer off, pulled the 8600gt, restarted, and now only sticks of ram are recognized. I put each stick of ram in the same slot by itself and one stick came up that the board didn’t like. So I took out that stick, put the 8600gt back in, same thing happened. So at this point the computer works with 3 sticks of ram and only the 9600GSO. Later, I did stick the fourth stick back in, and it worked fine. Ran memtest and it said all four sticks of ram were fine after about 2 passes (almost two hours of running)

Took the 8600gt back out, booted up again fine. Tried another person’s 8600gt in there with the four sticks of ram, computer would post, but once windows tried to load, it got the blue screen error that said “windows has stopped to prevent any system damage from happening. This could be due to a recent hardware change…..etc.” Shut the computer down, took that one stick of ram out, and rebooted. This time the motherboard recognized only two sticks of ram, but the computer loaded windows and windows installed drivers for the second video card. Restarted the computer, the third stick was recognized this time.

The person’s 8600gt I borrowed also tried mine in his system and he said it was fried. He suggested it is most likely the northbridge failing on the mobo. I agreed with this because I recently went back to having all four sticks of ram in the computer with only the 9600GSO and most of the time it would work. There were times though that the computer would restart immediately after post, and then only 3.5 GB would be recognized by the mother board. Took out that one stick of ram that the mother board said was bad and swapped slots with one of the sticks of ram that was known to be good (only 3 sticks of ram now) and restarted the computer and it was fine. So all four sticks of ram should be good. I do believe it is the northbridge on my mobo that is bad. Possibly the result of some kind of storm that happened while I was gone on vacation since I didn’t unplug the computer before I left (which wasn’t smart). What does anyone here think?

Also, deciding between a Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3, GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H, or an ASUS M4A78 Plus. Not a heavy overclocker, but I do raise the CPU multiplier a bit with my BB 5000+, and go with the 4-4-4-12 2.1v of my Corsair memory. Thanks alot!

TRENDING THREADS