Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP2 boot media error

Last response: in Windows XP
August 9, 2011 5:42:25 AM

Hello,
uhmm, i went here because i don't know what to do...

so here's the problem:
While I'm internet, the computer suddenly stops and hangs up.
and i restarted my comp, knowing that it wouldn't hang the next time...
but then the computer started sending out errors, like the "ethernet" is not connected but actually it is...
[ethernet is the cable that connects the modem and the PC]
then i restarted it again, then that's when it stays on the BIOS page [i think that is what it is]
then it says, Reboot and select proper boot device or insert a boot media in selected boot device &press any key to continue"
i tried to restart it again, but it doesn't work now...

I have some important files on the computer and if i can't fix my computer this instant i'll not be able to continue what i'm doing there...

I have Windows XP2, and my younger brother said it happened before, but then i can still use the computer with proper function.
but now it doesn't work already!!

I'm not a computer expert or something, but atleast my older brother is studying IT, so if i tell him what we need then that would be fine...

Please help me, [and please don't use computer talk, if you know that... just make the terms simple, so i could understand what you said...

Please I do need my computer now, the files wouldn't be deleted, would it??

a b \ Driver
August 9, 2011 5:59:08 AM

Your description is actually understandable. Since the BIOS is making you choose what drive or device to start the computer with, it seems your hard drive isn't always being detected correctly.

This can be as simple as removing and re-installing the drive cables to insure it is connected and no cable is falling off or not making good contact. If it is a notebook (laptop), then remove and re-install the drive.

Your BIOS battery may be going dead. If it won't keep the correct time, then this may be your problem as it is forgetting everything, including where your boot order is located.

Your hard drive may be dying. :(  If you try the two things above, and it still won't start, save a few dollars and prepare to replace the hard drive.

More things can be considered, or more exact help can be offered if you state the make and model of the computer.

m
l
August 9, 2011 6:07:59 AM

tigsounds said:
Your description is actually understandable. Since the BIOS is making you choose what drive or device to start the computer with, it seems your hard drive isn't always being detected correctly.

This can be as simple as removing and re-installing the drive cables to insure it is connected and no cable is falling off or not making good contact. If it is a notebook (laptop), then remove and re-install the drive.

Your BIOS battery may be going dead. If it won't keep the correct time, then this may be your problem as it is forgetting everything, including where your boot order is located.

Your hard drive may be dying. :(  If you try the two things above, and it still won't start, save a few dollars and prepare to replace the hard drive.

More things can be considered, or more exact help can be offered if you state the make and model of the computer.

replace the hard drive you mean, all the files in my computer will be deleted??
Like being reformat??
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
August 9, 2011 6:23:15 AM

msjlpalo said:
Like being reformat??

Not exactly. You'll put in a new hard drive and install Windows in the new one. Later you can connect your old drive and copy everything you want to keep over to the new drive. This is not as nice as it sounds.... All programs will need to be re-installed, :(  but your personal files can be just copied to the new drive. You may need to purchase a USB drive adapter to connect your old drive to the computer if there are no extra sockets for it to be connected in your computer.

You selected my answer as the "Best Answer" Thank you for the vote, but.....

This is a bit premature. The best answer should be to someone that supplied the best advice or instructions concerning your problem or situation. Your problem is far from over. Other persons may appear here with different advice than mine, or I may have over-looked something that they can add to help you more. I have sent a message to the administrators to reset the "Best Answer" so you can get the best help possible. When your problem is completely solved you can review what everyone had to say and decide where you got the most good information and click Best answer for that person, which very well might not be me.

m
l
a b \ Driver
August 9, 2011 6:58:38 AM

msjlpalo said:
Like being reformat??

Tell your older brother to read this:

The computer is not recognizing the boot drive every time for some unknown reason.
When turning on the computer, press whatever key is necessary to go to the BIOS setup page. (F2 or the delete key)?
Is the time correct? If so, the CMOS battery can be assumed to be good. If always wrong, replace the CMOS battery.
Does the hard drive appear and have the proper size? If yes, then maybe the boot order is incorrect. If the hard drive is not detected correctly, re-seat connections and try again. If persistently not detected correctly, drive may be dying and soon will be dead.
If the drive is detected correctly, Go to the Boot screen and look at the boot order. The hard drive should be #1 or #2. If it is not, it must be set to #1 (or #2 if the computer has a bootable CD ROM drive, in this case the CD ROM should be #1). This is done a bit differently from one computer brand to the next. Some will have you move a highlight bar using the cursor keys and then press another key such as the + or - key to move it up or down. Some will require the space bar be pressed to move up. There should be instructions on the screen to indicate the correct method.
If all the above is in order, correct time, drive detected correctly, and boot order is correct, then the drive may be failing and should be replaced before it is totally dead and unrecoverable.

If the drive needs to be replaced, come back here and say so as there is Free software available to make the job much easier, especially if the original drive is not totally dead yet. You may be able to clone the drive to a new one and not loose anything in the process and therefore won't need to re-install Windows either. Drives are not very expensive these days.
m
l
!