Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems with old raid array on new motherboard

Last response: in Storage
September 23, 2010 3:00:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new build and is having problems getting my raid array to work on this new build. I have two WD 1T in raid 0 functioning as storage. And another WD 1T that has Windows on it. All three drives works.

The reason I decided to buy a new build is that my old motherboard had problems. I cannot copy anything from C to D. It seems to me that I can only read from D but not write to it. The other issue is Windows hangs on boot. It takes about 10 minutes to see my desktop. It usually hangs at the rotating orbs that turns into the Windows logo. In any case, this is no longer the issue.

Once I have new build all set up, Windows booted within 30 seconds, no hang. I just can't get my raid 0 D drive to work. Does anyone have a quick solution to solve this without spending extra money on buying a controller or paying for data recovery?

Thanks.

Old Mobo: EVGA nForce 780i SLI
New Mobo: Asus Sabertooth x58

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 371 G Storage
September 23, 2010 3:14:02 PM

Your old RAID controller was on a NVidia chipset. Your new RAID controller is on an Intel chipset. These are most likely not compatable. If you don't need the data on the old drives, you can just create a new array on the new motherboard. If you do need the data, I suggest you reattach the drives to the old motherboard and backup the data on it, the create an array on the new board, and restore the data to it.
September 23, 2010 4:01:23 PM

Thanks Hawkeye22. Looks like there is no other way. I am thinking using Acornis True Image. Hopefully the maximum compression will kick down the image size so it can sit on my main drive. I've used up about 70% of the RAID. Do you have suggestions in regards of creating an image of the RAID or simply copy the data to somewhere else then copy it to the new drive? Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 371 G Storage
September 23, 2010 7:00:11 PM

If it's just standard data files (images, word docs, and such) then a simple backup or copying of files will suffice. Imaging the drive will work too, but as you stated, you may run out of room on your main drive.
m
l
September 23, 2010 7:29:17 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for all the help.
m
l
September 29, 2010 11:55:28 PM

Best answer selected by garyliu07.
m
l
!