Home Network

May 13, 2004 6:30:35 AM

could any one advise me where i went wrong ???
have connected my 2 pc's with crossover ethernet,
pc#1 is DELL Optiplex GX1 with in built 3Com 3C905B-TX
Fast EtherLink XL 10/100 Adapter,
pc#2 is IBM Personal Computer 300PL with in built Intel
8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter ( 10/100 ),
both pc's have windows XP Proffessional OS.
have no problem sharing broadband inernet connection :-)
just am unable to see anything in My Network Places ..
when I go to see the other pc, I recieve the error
message "Homepc is not accessible.
you might not have permission to use this network
feature " etc.
like I let the wizard set it up .. took the floppy to the
2nd Pc etc as instructed ... .. so which bit did I
miss ... Which box havent i ticked ? or .. can anyone
help ?? ... all I would like to do is share the
printer !!!!.. please reply .. Thanks

More about : home network

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:53:37 PM

Hello
Have you turned the ICF (firewall) off.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

It is not a good idea to network with a crossover cable to a computer
connected to the internet for you will not have any firewall protection.
You can go with a wired or wireless router with a built-in firewall and be a
lot better off.

You will have to setup a shared printer in Printers & Faxes

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
!