Home Network

could any one advise me where i went wrong ???
have connected my 2 pc's with crossover ethernet,
pc#1 is DELL Optiplex GX1 with in built 3Com 3C905B-TX
Fast EtherLink XL 10/100 Adapter,
pc#2 is IBM Personal Computer 300PL with in built Intel
8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter ( 10/100 ),
both pc's have windows XP Proffessional OS.
have no problem sharing broadband inernet connection :-)
just am unable to see anything in My Network Places ..
when I go to see the other pc, I recieve the error
message "Homepc is not accessible.
you might not have permission to use this network
feature " etc.
like I let the wizard set it up .. took the floppy to the
2nd Pc etc as instructed ... .. so which bit did I
miss ... Which box havent i ticked ? or .. can anyone
help ?? ... all I would like to do is share the
printer !!!!.. please reply .. Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about home network

    Hello
    Have you turned the ICF (firewall) off.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

    It is not a good idea to network with a crossover cable to a computer
    connected to the internet for you will not have any firewall protection.
    You can go with a wired or wireless router with a built-in firewall and be a
    lot better off.

    You will have to setup a shared printer in Printers & Faxes

    --
    Hope This Helps
    Haus
    "Graeme" <graemep52@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > could any one advise me where i went wrong ???
    > have connected my 2 pc's with crossover ethernet,
    > pc#1 is DELL Optiplex GX1 with in built 3Com 3C905B-TX
    > Fast EtherLink XL 10/100 Adapter,
    > pc#2 is IBM Personal Computer 300PL with in built Intel
    > 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter ( 10/100 ),
    > both pc's have windows XP Proffessional OS.
    > have no problem sharing broadband inernet connection :-)
    > just am unable to see anything in My Network Places ..
    > when I go to see the other pc, I recieve the error
    > message "Homepc is not accessible.
    > you might not have permission to use this network
    > feature " etc.
    > like I let the wizard set it up .. took the floppy to the
    > 2nd Pc etc as instructed ... .. so which bit did I
    > miss ... Which box havent i ticked ? or .. can anyone
    > help ?? ... all I would like to do is share the
    > printer !!!!.. please reply .. Thanks

Configuration Ethernet Card Windows XP