New build, need a burner

Merovius

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Hi, Im looking for a high quality, fast, Blu Ray/DVD/CD Burner and havent seen a ton of reviews on hands down standouts. Ive found a few options, but Im really looking for longevity and durability.

Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA

LITE-ON 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner

Plextor PX-B940SA Blu Ray Burner - 12X BD-R DL/SL, 2x BD-RE, 16x DVD+R/-R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+/-R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, SATA

After browsing some other manufacturer websites, it doesnt seem like Sony, Samsung or LG are making any at the 12x speeds but I could be wrong.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance.

kivan2400

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
As far as i know, liteon is not a very good CD/DVD burner, it has many fails ^^
i would take the "Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA "

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have using Liteon ever since the CD and DVD - no problem. Sony ok, Samsung and LG stay away from them. For blu ray Pioneer and Plextor were known good but I haven't brutally used them yet I say that cause I burn a lot of disc of all sorts and reliability is my priority specs.

Pinger

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I have had a Liteon in my computer for 7 years now and it is just finally starting to have occasional issues of discs slipping and sometimes jamming when it ejects them. That being said, I have seen many posts recently about the Liteon drives not being plug n play with Window's 7 64 bit unless it is manufactured after Dec 2009. Double check the manufacture date before buying it. Sometimes hardware a couple of years old can make it onto someone's shelf or warehouse.

Pinger

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Just as well I should say that I just ordered the Plextor PX-B310U external Blu-Ray drive. 2 reasons... I just built a micro lanbox that I will be putting up on a hutch over my desk to free up desk space and this will let me keet a small drive under my monitor. The other reason is that I have yet to see a single internal Blu Ray drive that is not having problems once they get a large number of reviews under them. For some reason the externals seem to be more stable. Yes I know it is a 6X, but the Plextor externals are about the highest rated in the industry right now. You can also stick it on any computer you want, including a travel laptop.