Hyper 212+ does not allow top case fans?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hola everyone, I did ask this question in the Cases section but thought I might be able to get some good feedback here. Like my topic states, is there a problem with installing top case fans with the cooler master hyper 212+ heatsink? The reason I ask is because I was researching this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058&cm_re=nzxt_case-_-11-146-058-_-Product because it seemed good for the money, and lucky me, there was a youtube video review of a build with it using the hyper 212, which I plan to buy, with the case. But according to the video, if you mount it horizontally you cannot fit the top case fans, and you if mount it vertically with a fan mounted in the top side of the heatsink you cant fit top fans either. Is this a problem only with this case, or is this something people run into with this heatsink? I need to know if the vid was somehow wrong or if I need to be looking for a taller case perhaps.

Here is a link to the youtube video if anyone wants to take a gander, maybe the guy did something wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-C_YkA0wk&feature=related

The part about the fans not fitting starts at 3:25. I would really appreciate some feedback since I dont want to waste money because I really want good airflow and dont want to not be able to fit top fans. Thanks again.

My 212+ is mounted vertically (airflow front to back in my mid-towers) on my X48 (775 socket) boards - it is about 1/2 inch from the top edges of the motherboards. No clearance issues on Antec P-160 case or the CM690 - plenty of room for top-mounted fans, I have one over it in the CM690.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Hrm, dont know how much the mobo matters but I would be using it with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232&cm_re=ASUS_P5N-D_LGA_775-_-13-131-232-_-Product

If a case is taller does that mean that the mobo just mounts higher inside it, or that there is actually going to be more room between the mobo and the top? I suppose I could just buy the case and hope for the best but I would be pretty bummed if I could not mount my fans on top :/

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Do I have the audacity to hope that there is someone out there with a nzxt m59 case and a hyper 212+ cooler to put my mind to rest on whether I will be able to install the top case fans or not?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Bleh, I guess it is just the case then. Pretty lame. Unless the mobo makes a difference I will need to find a new case.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Well, I have decided that I want to try to stick with the case, so my next question would be, can someone recommend to me a cpu cooler as close to the same proce and performance as the hyper 212 that is smaller? Since the case is bottom mounted for the psu I want to have the fan on the cooler, if it has one, pointing at the rear exhaust fan for better airflow, so anything that I can install like that and is smaller then the 212 is great. Thanks.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks, looks like that might be perfect. I know it will not perform quite as well as the hyper 212+, but the 2 extra fans on the top of the case might hep to counter-act that.