Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which video card would b better 4 my gaming build? ATI or NVIDIA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 1, 2009 1:03:41 AM

sofar i have bought these items for my budget gaming rig.

CPU....AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core Processor HD9550WCJ4BGH - 2.20GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket AM2+, Processor

MOBO...EVGA nForce 730a Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce 8200, Socket AM2 / AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, DVI, HDMI, PCI Express 2.0, Hyrbid SLI, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

now im fixing to purchase my video card and need your help in deciding
which to get. i wanna play the latest games, my video card budget is $200

XFX HD-487A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

or

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
April 1, 2009 1:09:48 AM

I hope you got those parts cheap...

But that's besides the point. They will perform about evenly - I'd say the Radeon would probably have a slight edge.
a c 171 U Graphics card
April 1, 2009 1:27:37 AM

Actually I think the GTX260 216 is a hair faster. You really can't go wrong either way, buy whichever is cheaper/has a better bundle.

I also hope you got the parts cheap. The 9550 and the 730A? Wow.
Related resources
April 1, 2009 1:40:07 AM

i came on here to get yalls advice on which video card would perform better with my mobo. not for u to make fun of how cheap my parts r. yes i know its not a $200 cpu and a $200 mobo but it will do great for gaming .
April 1, 2009 1:44:04 AM

so the GTX260 would perform better for tha money than tha 4870?
April 1, 2009 4:15:58 AM

scoot0073 said:
so the GTX260 would perform better for tha money than tha 4870?



Barely. You will get maybe 1 or 2 FPS more with the GTX 260. Whichever has a better bundle/deal.

Speaking of deals.......that same GTX 260 is on newegg, but comes with a free game: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Just a thought.
April 1, 2009 2:48:40 PM

thanks homies :D  GTX 260 it is
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2009 5:19:11 PM

Personally I'd take the nVidia every time of the ATI/AMD. I always see ATI/AMD rated good but in real life everyone I know who has tried ATI/AMD cards always have some hassles with drivers or compatibility or temperature. Its always something with ATI/AMD where as the nVidias seem to work without the issues. I work in distribution and sell both brands and nvidia out sells ATI/AMD 9 to 1. I my house the 6 computers I run all use nVidia I did have one running on ATI/AMD, but replaced it after awhile with a nVidia due to poor performance despite all the hype about it.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2009 5:37:24 PM

littleleo said:
Personally I'd take the nVidia every time of the ATI/AMD. I always see ATI/AMD rated good but in real life everyone I know who has tried ATI/AMD cards always have some hassles with drivers or compatibility or temperature. Its always something with ATI/AMD where as the nVidias seem to work without the issues. I work in distribution and sell both brands and nvidia out sells ATI/AMD 9 to 1. I my house the 6 computers I run all use nVidia I did have one running on ATI/AMD, but replaced it after awhile with a nVidia due to poor performance despite all the hype about it.


Your uncorroborated, subjective, reference lacking, fanboi point of view is not required on the Internet. We have enough pointless BS around here already.. Generally, we don't care to hear how one was too stupid to get his parts to work, or got all his information from folks that had the same issue...


To the OP, those who asked about your parts being cheep were not making fun of the money you spent on them, they were making fun of the parts. The first generation Phenoms, and that motherboard, peformed very poorly for the price compared to the newer ones. Generally there are better choices for the money unless you got a great deal. As for the cards, as everyone has stated, they are nearly identical in performance and price/bundle should really be the only consideration.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2009 5:47:49 PM

littleleo said:
Personally...


Thanks for your Biased response 4 months later you necromantic Fanb0i. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2009 5:50:30 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Thanks for your Biased response 4 months later you necromantic Fanb0i. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]


BAH!

I didnt even notice this was a necromanced thread... sigh.. I hate people some times....
July 29, 2009 5:55:13 PM

they should kill these threads after a month.
!