My New Build; Reviews/Suggestions please

I am planning to build a new PC. My budget is $2,000, and I want as good a PC as possible. This does include the Monitor, but not the speakers, mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.

This will all come from Newegg.

Also, what would be the bottleneck of this system?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W
Case: Antec 900
RAM: (2 Sets) OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1066 Memory
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB HDD
HDD2: WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB HDD for Ubuntu and Windows Only
Optical: LG Black 6X BD-ROM SATA BD/HD DVD ROM/ DVD Burner
Optical2: LG Black 22x (CAV) DVD+R DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
Media Reader: Floppy/ Multi-Media Drive from Amazon and a 3.5" to 5.25" Floppy Drive Bay Adapter
Monitor: SAMSUNG 2433BW 24" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1200
GPU: EVGA-P3-1258-A1 GeForce GTX260 Core 216 SSC Edition

ALSO:

Samsung 80GB Internal ATA100 Backup HDD (In my current PC)
Memorex External USB DVD-RAM Burner (Already have)
22 answers Last reply
More about build reviews suggestions please
  1. Looks good,

Note Proximmons thread that the price of 4870's has just fallen. The 1Gb version of this card seems to be recommended over the NVidia 260 at high resolutions.

I would look at a faster drive for running windows, see if you can fit a WD velociraptor into the budget. Possibly by using an Ati graphics card, and the WD 640Gb drive as your main one. (Might not be enough)

Jeremy
  2. yeah, I REALLY REALLY want a velociraptor.

The 1TB is only $20 over the 640 WD, so I'll keep that.....

But some factors that may determine whether I can get a Velociraptor or not are: How much is Newegg Shipping for the cheapest possible? And: I'm assuming there is tax on Newegg....?

I'm currently looking at the prices for Velociraptors.

It's also kinda hard because my mobo only has SATA, no SCSI or SAS, and I don't think there are any SATA Velociraptors. Plus an SCSI Controller Card would be like $200 or more.
  3. Yeah, I can't go Velociraptor, and not enough $ for an SSD.....
  4. The Velociraptors are all SATA, no worries there. You don't need a SCSI or SAS card for them.

If it's mostly a gaming box, you can get by with only 4 GB of RAM without any serious loss. Besides, you can easily add more RAM later if needed. You can also drop the second optical drive.
  5. If you're going to OC, you'll want a better cooler such as Xigmatech Dark Knight.

Corsair TX650 is a better quality PSU.

For that resolution, I second the HD4870 1GB. Or a GTX285.

Samsung monitors are good, but I'd also consider the BenQ G2400WD.
  6. aevm said:
    The Velociraptors are all SATA, no worries there. You don't need a SCSI or SAS card for them.

If it's mostly a gaming box, you can get by with only 4 GB of RAM without any serious loss. Besides, you can easily add more RAM later if needed. You can also drop the second optical drive.

I am looking at how to possibly get a Velociraptor into my budget. Very difficult though.

LOL, I've had bad experiences with failing optical drives. I got two, the top one being for watching blu-ray and HDDVD only, the second for everything DVD and CD / burning Related.

Besides, it's only $20 more.

As for the RAM, I think I'm just gonna go 8GB, because you can't really mix and match RAM without pains, and if I upgraded in the future, either buy another 4 sticks for more money, or buy 2 different sticks. But I have been told that before, so I don't know. But I also do lots of Video Encoding, of files size of many GB (up to 12) and often multitask with that at the same time.

I went with lots of RAM because mainly not gaming (I'll only do FSX and maybe GTAIV, plus some other really older games), but because of my multitasking habits. Like encoding an IPOD Video, listening to music on WMP, surfing Firefox with 10 tabs open at the same time, and perhaps performing huge file transfers, or running Google Earth all at the same time.

Are you sure they're all SATA? Newegg says they're all SCSI or SAS.

Or are the two compatible......

LOL, I found this, right on budget:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220341

Is it compatible with my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo?

I'm assuming SATA II just means SATA 3.0Gb/s, which my Mobo supports.

And does that SSD use significantly more power than the WD? Because I'm on a tight PSU here, only 700W with 4x18A Rails. Only $85 though.

Is it also compatible with my PSU, and does it come with a 2.5" to 3.5" Drive Bay Adapter?

NVMD, scrap the Ubuntu, just Windows. I would like it to fit, use it actively as the system Drive for Windows only, and maintain it's speed of 170/100 MB/s
  7. Here are two things I need to know.

How much is newegg shipping at the cheapest?

Are tax included in the prices?
  8. Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail &
    Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail Combo $170
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165611

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail &
    SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail Combo $474
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165214

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9 - Retail &
    ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Combo $361
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165124

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM $180
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20LK - OEM $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136155

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM $26
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136153

SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $300
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001309

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

Total: $1951 w/o MIR and before tax & shipping (or $1851 if you change the VR for the Caviar Black 640)
  9. I would definetly go for that, and I had actually configured almost that exact same build earlier, but unfortunatly, my 2k budget includes tax, and shipping.

All combined, it would be over $2,100.

I'm pushing it by spending $2k. My original budget was 1,500.

But believe me, if I could go i7 I would.

I don't need a BD-Burner, so that would bring it down to ~$2,050 though.

EDIT: Sorry, I hate ATI, can't go with them.

That build looks great though
    . (Except for the $70 650W PSU)
  10. Adding performance to my build, replacing the WD6401AALS, I will use this drive for Windows: (Scrap Ubuntu)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220341

That puts my total build cost to $1,990.

My fear is that Vista Home Premium x64 will not fit on the drive/ have enough wap space and slow it down.

EDIT: I could get this, but it would put me well over budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220342
  11. raybob95 said:
    I would definetly go for that, and I had actually configured almost that exact same build earlier, but unfortunatly, my 2k budget includes tax, and shipping.

All combined, it would be over $2,100.

I'm pushing it by spending $2k. My original budget was 1,500.

But believe me, if I could go i7 I would.

I don't need a BD-Burner, so that would bring it down to ~$2,050 though.

EDIT: Sorry, I hate ATI, can't go with them.

That build looks great though
    . (Except for the $70 650W PSU)

The 4870 1GB is a better fit for the 24" monitor, but of course it's your decision.

That PSU is better quality than the OCZ.

Corsair TX650 is also better and costs the same as the StealthXStream, and is less after MIR.
  12. Well, now the debate is a 64GB SSD for $140, or a Velociraptor. (If it's compatible with my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo)
  13. And I do end up going SSD or Velociraptor, (I'm leaning towards SSD at the moment) what will be my bottleneck of this system?
  14. The Velociraptor would definitely be compatible with the UD3P. It offers an average read/write rate around 130MB/s.

Which SSD are you looking at? This one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220342

Compared to the Velociraptor, it would be about 30% faster at reading large files, about 30% slower at writing large files, faster at reading/writing small files (seek time almost negligible). It is used by at least 3 newegg reviewers with P45 boards, so it should work with the UD3P too.

If you want a fast drive to compress videos on, the Velociraptor is a better choice (faster writing of large files, larger). If you don't expect to create or edit lots of large files often, then the SSD is better IMO.
  15. raybob95 said:
    And I do end up going SSD or Velociraptor, (I'm leaning towards SSD at the moment) what will be my bottleneck of this system?

No real bottleneck. That is, it's a balanced setup where all parts do a decent job and none of them drags down the rest. Whatever you do, some part will reach its limit before others. If all the others are close to 100% at that time, it's really not fair to call that part a bottleneck.

In Crysis at 1920x1200, the GTX 260 will definitely be the limiting factor. That is, upgrading it to GTX 285 or HD 4870 X2 or GTX 295 would give you better fps, even if all else stays the same. I wouldn't call it a bottleneck though, because it's still decent performance.

When encoding HD videos on the Velociraptor, the CPU will be used at 100%, which makes the CPU the "bottleneck". Again, it's not exactly a bottleneck because it will still be very fast and the hard drive will be used close to 100% too.

If you encode HD videos on a SSD or WD 640GB Black, I suspect you'll have the SSD/HDD used at 100% while the CPU is at 80% or more. That makes the HDD a bottleneck, but again it's by a very small margin.

So, in short, relax, man. You've got a VERY nice machine there. :)
  16. Yes, that is the exact drive I was looking at. :)

I'm planning to use it only to install Vista on, and to boot from.

All my pictures, games, applications, music, videos, EVERYTHING will be on a separate Samsung 1GB SATA II HDD.

I'm only hesitating switching my build to that because people keep telling me that it crashing frequently and won't last a while.

If the SSD will be faster at running Windows, last 4 years, and not crash, then I'll definetly get it. Plus, it's about the same price as a Velociraptor.

But if I get either drive, I'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay adapter, which conveniently, that drive comes with, for now.

Oh yeah, I only plan to play FSX, and perhaps GTA IV.
  17. He he, you need to overclock that Q9550 then. FSX is known for making the CPUs bottlenecks. It loves quads, and the fps go up almost directly with the clocks.

It sounds like the SSD is better for you. However, it's hard to say how reliable it is in time because this technology is still at the beginning. Maybe you should just stick with the Samsung for a year. By this time next year SSDs will be cheaper and larger and we'll know more about their reliability too. I doubt that you'd see a difference in FSX between the SSD and the Spinpoint F1. It's limited by the CPU, not the I/O devices.
  18. aevm said:
    He he, you need to overclock that Q9550 then. FSX is known for making the CPUs bottlenecks. It loves quads, and the fps go up almost directly with the clocks.

It sounds like the SSD is better for you. However, it's hard to say how reliable it is in time because this technology is still at the beginning. Maybe you should just stick with the Samsung for a year. By this time next year SSDs will be cheaper and larger and we'll know more about their reliability too. I doubt that you'd see a difference in FSX between the SSD and the Spinpoint F1. It's limited by the CPU, not the I/O devices.

I was planning to build my PC at the end of March, but the way things are going, it probably won't be until the summer.

By then, hopefully SSDs'll be more reliable. Ha, by the summer, my entire build might change.

From Early February when I started thinking about this PC, nearly my entire build was different. The only things that haven't changed since then are my Mobo, OS, Case, and CPU.

I am unlikely to overclock my 1066 RAM, but I will overclock my CPU from 2.83 GHz to 3.2 GHz. (FSB from 333 to 377)
  19. AND PEOPLE:

I am only debating getting a Velociraptor, SSD, or WD6401AALS as my Windows Drive. I AM GETTING THE SPINPOINT F1 as my drive for ALL my apps, games, music, videos, EVERYTHING.

I am just debating between a 64GB SSD, a Velociraptor, and a 640GB WD Drive to use for Windows installation ONLY.

I am debating the stability, cost, reliability, and overall speed.

FSX WILL be on the Spinpoint F1. That's not what I'm debating here.
  20. Bump.
  21. Another pointless bump.
  22. Last bump of desperation.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product