First time trying to setup RAID. Help?

HumblePhenom

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hey guys,

This is the first time trying this so bear with me if you can. I'm trying to setup RAID on my home computer, for the experience. I know that you need the same size drives to run RAID 5 I believe. I have a couple of disks I want to merge (one 500GB, and one 160 GB). Is there anyway to run RAID, on those two without losing most of my 500 GB hard drive. Is there a way to combine those drives to act as one? If so, please suggest what I should do.

Thank You all.

burns2608

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

JBOD : Just a Bunch Of Drives.
Not actually RAID, but some RAID controllers support this. In JBOD, 2 or more drives, which can be of any size, are put together so it appear as a single drive whose capacity is the sum of the individual drives. Since JBOD provides no performance increase and reduced data security, it is seldomly used.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
RAID supported drive? Such as?

Any drive that can have data written to/from it can be used in an array. There's nothing that says a drive has to explicitly support use in a RAID.

You can use 200 MB Connor HDs if you want, but, of course, being as old as they are, you run a much greater risk of data loss.

But yes, you can setup a JBOD. You don't get any performance or redundancy as mentioned above.