Solved

Need help with overclocking i5 750

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
October 14, 2010 6:02:04 AM

This is my first time overclocking the cpu.

I have bunch of questions to ask you guys.

My computer setups are:

I5 750 @ stock

stock cooler (will probably upgrade to either hyper 212+ or h50)

Asus p7p55-m micro ATX motherboard. (only 4 pin for the cpu. Is this going to be affecting the oc-ing ability? Do I need higher end motherboard?)

G.skill ddr3 1600mhz 9 9 9 24n (In cpuz ram is clocked at around 2200mhz and I have not done anything to the ram settings in bios. How do I set the ram's clock back to its stock freq.?)

ocz vertex 2 120gb

antec Neo Eco 520c (40amps single 12v rail)

dvdrw

1.5tb 7200rpm seagate hdd

nzxt Lexa S.

I'd like my pc to be fast as well as efficient. So is it possible to OC while turbo boost and power saving feature are enabled?
I am targeting around 3.2 ghz (when all cores are active) with stock voltage.

What are the steps in detail?

More about : overclocking 750

Best solution

October 19, 2010 5:05:51 AM

You should be fine with that 4 pin power supply for this kind of overclock. You'll probably want to disable the power saving features and turbo boost for now, but have them on once everything is stabilized.

What you'll want to do first is find your ideal base clock that lets you set both your CPU and memory at desired clocks. There are many baseclock and multiplier combinations, so I'm sure one will "fit" your system well. First set your baseclock to this predetermined frequency, then lower your CPU and RAM multipliers to keep them out of the equation for now. Voltages (other than QPI) can be left on auto for now unless your motherboard is setting something way over (or under) what it should be (ask if you aren't sure). Once you find the lowest QPI voltage that lets you pass a stress test (minimum one hour), you can set your RAM to it's default specs and go for another stress test. You might fail here, and should increase your QPI voltage a notch or so until you can pass. If you want to play around with the memory frequency/voltage/latencies, you should do so now, but I don't see too much utility in doing so (stock settings are usually fast anyway). Once this is all completed, you set the CPU multiplier up to that predetermined value and keep increasing the CPU voltage a couple of notches every time you fail a stress test. You want the lowest voltage that allows you to pass. A couple things to keep in mind are that your CPU core temps shouldn't exceed the mid 70s C ideally and that your QPI and RAM voltages should always be within 0.5v from one another. All these tips are from my experience on an i7 platform, but it seems that all this info applies directly to i5 as well.
October 20, 2010 7:31:27 AM

Best answer selected by hsh2489.
m
l
October 20, 2010 7:32:08 AM

thanks for the reply!
m
l
!