Partitioning & Installing Programs

sensesfail47

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hello, if I am wanting to create a system able to dual boot Windows 7 & Linux Mint. But i have a few questions...

My partition currently for my C: drive is Max, 250gb, my second drive, is my M: drive a 1tb media drive.

I have all of my programs installed onto C and all of my Data files like movies, music, word documents etc on M.

If I am wanting to dual boot, how big should my C partition be? I am VERY confused when it comes to this, because it is recommended 10gb+, but why would I only do 10gb? When i tried installing programs to M, things just didnt go well, so I decided I wanted to keep programs separated from media. So should I leave this partition at max?

Also, if i want to dual boot, would I need to reduce the C partition? or could I make say a 100gb parition on my M drive to install linux on? or to dual boot do they both have to be installed to the same physical drive?

Sorry for so many questions, if there is any direction you can point me in to help me understand partitioning...because I really dont get why you would make your windows partition 10gb if it causes problems when installing programs to a drive that the windows files arent on..
Thanks for the help!

Create more partitions. For the Windows 7 keep a 100GB drive. Make a separate 3-4GB drive for paging file. And break down the 1TB partition into smaller one's. That's what i would say.

For the dual boot, you can always squeeze out some space from the M: drive and use it.

Why would you make a partition to put the page file on? Its on the same drive anyways wont makes things faster