Sign in with
Your question

reset cmos battery everytime

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2009 10:56:19 PM

Hi , this just started happening after i overclocked. Well now I have to take out and reinsert my cmos battery or my computer doesnt start it just stays idle , when i also try to get into the bios its like the keyboard is stuck. Everything is moving rapidly , I cant change anything , please help , thank you :fou: 
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2009 12:50:14 AM

1) If you don't pull the battery, you say it "idles". Where? Hung in BIOS load? Hung in Windows boot?

2) If you pull the battery, you say the PC runs. Does it run continuously until you shut it down? or does it shut down by itself?

3) Identify your mobo and cpu please.

4) Tell me what key you press to get into BIOS

5) Is your keyboard using a PS2 or a USB connection?

6) Has all your OCing been done in BIOS, or are you using any overclocking software in Windows?

Maybe with that info someone here can help.
June 8, 2009 1:17:48 AM

1.) If i don't pull the battery it doesn't even load , nothing is on the screen , no bios , no windows its like the rams missing , all the powers on but nothing on the screen.

2.) It runs continuously until the next time i shut it down and try to turn it on

3.) Cpu - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor
Mobo- GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

4.) Delete key

5.) Keyboard is using PS2 connection , I have a usb one also. The outcome is the same

6.) I started with a AMD override to see how high I can get it which was 15.5x then i sent it in the bios going from 2.7 - 3.1
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2009 2:48:59 AM

Thanks for all the answers . . . sorry, I'm not an AMD guy . . . let me look up AMD override . . . OK so if I read correctly, that's a way to OC while in Windows.

If I got that right, that's where your problem may be. Here's my logic (er, guess) . . .

- You pull the battery, clearing CMOS, and you get a runnable BIOS.
- You boot into windows, and the Override resets BIOS to an unbootable configuration.
- You reboot, and the PC won't.

Rinse and repeat.

If that sounds right to you, get into windows and kill the Override - uninstall it - whatever.

If not, maybe someone with AMD knowledge can help you.
June 8, 2009 3:43:04 AM

I tried that, still the same problem :( 
June 8, 2009 4:00:38 AM

try booting it in safe mode and do it
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2009 4:22:53 AM

Your mobo manual provides the instructions for Dual BIOS, but I don't know if your mobo actually has it. If so, it could be that (somehow) the backup BIOS is restoring an unbootable configuration each time you crash. Read page 60.

Once AMD Overide is uninstalled, reboot and during that reboot pound that DEL key on your PS2 keyboard.

Once in BIOS, load "Optimized Defaults" and continue the reboot.

When you get into Windows, reboot again back into Windows. That *should* reload your backup BIOS.
June 8, 2009 6:05:43 PM

When I try to uninstall amd overdrive i get "error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action AODAssistREM.loaction:C:/program files/AMD/Overdrive/AODAssist.exe , command: -u" Please help :( 
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2009 6:24:31 PM

You need to replace that battery.
Probably it is low.
June 8, 2009 7:21:56 PM

Will that fix the AMD uninstall problem also? And where do I find a replacement
June 8, 2009 7:59:25 PM

you can get a battery almost anywhere. walgreens, cvs, e.t.c.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2009 10:13:36 PM

Ahhmmogh said:
When I try to uninstall amd overdrive i get "error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action AODAssistREM.loaction:C:/program files/AMD/Overdrive/AODAssist.exe , command: -u" Please help :( 

I guess I'd follow the advice, and call AMD. You need to get that thing uninstalled, at least until you diagnose this problem.
June 8, 2009 10:20:13 PM

If it happens only after you've boot into Windows before restarting again after a shutdown as you said then it's a software problem obviously as other have pointed out.

A clean install of OS is the quick getaway card to solve your problem painlessly.
June 9, 2009 3:00:27 AM

rather than reformat, or get a new battery which i would bet money is not the issue here as the program is clearly corrupted if it wont uninstall properly, again assuming that AMD overdrive modifies the BIOS ( I've got an Intel rig ) then you ought to remove any startup applications or services relating to it. Windows key + R , then type "msconfig". Whatsmore, Go to My Computer > C: drive > Program Files > and delete anything that says AMD overdrive.
!