brad77

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi ! Would really appreciate it if some kind soul out there could help me with a small problem.

I initially had a wireless connection setup (done by a friend more knowledgeable than me) at my place with a DSL modem & Wireless Router (Linksys WRT54G) and it was running perfectly well.However I recently shifted to a new house and tried to setup the wireless connection - but I'm unable to do so.The only thing thats changed is the DSL Modem (Same make/model/ISP but different location and therefore different settings like username/password).I checked the Router's settings and found it set to "DHCP" mode at the 'basic settings' tab.I re-checked all the physical connections (modem to Router & Router to PC) and they're fine.

So currently I can connect to the Router wirelessly (it shows up among the wireless connections) but after connecting to the Router I'm unable to connect to the internet.As of now I'm accessing the internet by being directly connected to the DSL modem by an ethernet cable.

Additionally - one peculiarity is that I can now access the Router through the web browser - whereas earlier (when the connection was working) if I typed 192.168.1.1 in the browser I could not access either Router or Modem.

I understand the information I have given is a bit vague on account of being a rookie but would appreciate any help - I can certainly provide more info if it would help clarify the problem.

Thanks in advance !!

kaby

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009

The easiest thing to do with out having you reset a bunch of setting manually is to rerun the disc that it came with, pretend it is a new router. If you no longer have the disc you can download the program from the disc on the linksys web site on there support downloads page.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
It sounds as though the modem was bridged at the old location.
A modem is put into bridge mode by changing the settings in the modem configuration page.
The modem then becomes a pass through device and the router acquires the IP addresses.
Your Internet Provider will instruct you how to bridge the modem.