Help: System keeps coming out of Standby/Hibernate

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My system has recently developed the habit of automatically coming out of
standby every 30 mins or so. Also if I hibernate the system, then the
computer will start up again after every 30 mins or so.

Is there a tool I can use to target the problem?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about help system coming standby hibernate
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:37:53 GMT, Default wrote:

    > My system has recently developed the habit of automatically coming out of
    > standby every 30 mins or so. Also if I hibernate the system, then the
    > computer will start up again after every 30 mins or so.
    >
    > Is there a tool I can use to target the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    If the computer is starting from a powered off state (hibernate), there are
    most likely "Wake..." settings in BIOS that are enabled: wake on LAN, wake
    on Ring, wake on timer, etc. If there are no wake settings in BIOS, the
    system power supply or power switch may be faulty.

    The standby problem may or may not be related. There are many programs that
    can be configured to perform tasks if the machine is idle after x number of
    minutes. Check settings in programs that are normally left running. Also,
    check the configuration of each task listed in Scheduled Tasks.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:37:53 GMT, Default wrote:
    >
    >> My system has recently developed the habit of automatically coming
    >> out of standby every 30 mins or so. Also if I hibernate the system,
    >> then the computer will start up again after every 30 mins or so.
    >>
    >> Is there a tool I can use to target the problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > If the computer is starting from a powered off state (hibernate),
    > there are most likely "Wake..." settings in BIOS that are enabled:
    > wake on LAN, wake on Ring, wake on timer, etc. If there are no wake
    > settings in BIOS, the system power supply or power switch may be
    > faulty.

    Do you know if these same laws regarding power supplies etc.. are applicable
    to laptop computers with ACPI whatnot?

    There are no BIOS settings on this thing. Everything seems to be controlled
    by XP.

    > The standby problem may or may not be related. There are many
    > programs that can be configured to perform tasks if the machine is
    > idle after x number of minutes. Check settings in programs that are
    > normally left running. Also, check the configuration of each task
    > listed in Scheduled Tasks.

    Checked and rechecked one million switches, I am totally baffled.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:37:53 GMT, Default wrote:
    >
    >> My system has recently developed the habit of automatically coming
    >> out of standby every 30 mins or so. Also if I hibernate the system,
    >> then the computer will start up again after every 30 mins or so.
    >>
    >> Is there a tool I can use to target the problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > If the computer is starting from a powered off state (hibernate),
    > there are most likely "Wake..." settings in BIOS that are enabled:
    > wake on LAN, wake on Ring, wake on timer, etc. If there are no wake
    > settings in BIOS, the system power supply or power switch may be
    > faulty.
    >
    > The standby problem may or may not be related. There are many
    > programs that can be configured to perform tasks if the machine is
    > idle after x number of minutes. Check settings in programs that are
    > normally left running. Also, check the configuration of each task
    > listed in Scheduled Tasks.

    OK after little more testing, I have more feedback.

    I switched off my PC (via shutdown) and the thing didn't start up again
    until I switched it back on manually.

    But if I Hibernate or Standby it, it switches on automatically after approx
    20-30 mins. There are no wake on LAN options set. The PC has a builtin LAN
    and also Wireless. The LAN is set to switch off in Device Manager and the
    Wireless is set to Maximum power save mode. Both options *don't* appear to
    be the culprit.

    The PC is a Sony laptop with XP Home OEM.

    Is there a utility I can use to troubleshoot my problem here? How can I use
    Event Viewer more effectively?

    Thanks, I appreciate the input.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:40:54 GMT, Default wrote:

    > OK after little more testing, I have more feedback.
    >
    > I switched off my PC (via shutdown) and the thing didn't start up again
    > until I switched it back on manually.
    >
    > But if I Hibernate or Standby it, it switches on automatically after approx
    > 20-30 mins. There are no wake on LAN options set. The PC has a builtin LAN
    > and also Wireless. The LAN is set to switch off in Device Manager and the
    > Wireless is set to Maximum power save mode. Both options *don't* appear to
    > be the culprit.
    >
    > The PC is a Sony laptop with XP Home OEM.
    >
    > Is there a utility I can use to troubleshoot my problem here? How can I use
    > Event Viewer more effectively?
    >
    > Thanks, I appreciate the input.

    Some systems have varying levels of "sleep." For example, a trickle of
    power that maintains data in RAM but the rest of the system is effectively
    "off." Not really "hibernate" in the usual sense of the word and referred
    to as "deep sleep" in some setups.

    My suggestion is to dig deeper in the power management documentation for
    this laptop. You may also want to involve Sony tech support just in case
    there is something triggering an "on" response that shouldn't be happening.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:40:54 GMT, Default wrote:
    >
    >> OK after little more testing, I have more feedback.
    >>
    >> I switched off my PC (via shutdown) and the thing didn't start up
    >> again until I switched it back on manually.
    >>
    >> But if I Hibernate or Standby it, it switches on automatically after
    >> approx 20-30 mins. There are no wake on LAN options set. The PC has
    >> a builtin LAN and also Wireless. The LAN is set to switch off in
    >> Device Manager and the Wireless is set to Maximum power save mode.
    >> Both options *don't* appear to be the culprit.
    >>
    >> The PC is a Sony laptop with XP Home OEM.
    >>
    >> Is there a utility I can use to troubleshoot my problem here? How
    >> can I use Event Viewer more effectively?
    >>
    >> Thanks, I appreciate the input.
    >
    > Some systems have varying levels of "sleep." For example, a trickle of
    > power that maintains data in RAM but the rest of the system is
    > effectively "off." Not really "hibernate" in the usual sense of the
    > word and referred to as "deep sleep" in some setups.
    >
    > My suggestion is to dig deeper in the power management documentation
    > for this laptop. You may also want to involve Sony tech support just
    > in case there is something triggering an "on" response that shouldn't
    > be happening.

    I think I may have finally rooted the problem, but am unsure how to fix it.

    I have found that connecting to the net leaves my inbuilt softmodem in a
    funny state when hibernating or going into standby.

    I have found that if I restart my PC and go straight into Hibernate/Standby,
    before connecting to the modem, then the PC is stable and does not
    autoresume.

    So my guess is it could be a firewall issue which leaves the modem in a
    funny state when going to hibernate/standby.

    I have had issues in the past when connecting using a modem via a firewall.
    Sometimes it seems XP and modems weren't a match made in heaven (Redmond).
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:37:46 GMT, Default wrote:

    > I think I may have finally rooted the problem, but am unsure how to fix it.
    >
    > I have found that connecting to the net leaves my inbuilt softmodem in a
    > funny state when hibernating or going into standby.
    >
    > I have found that if I restart my PC and go straight into Hibernate/Standby,
    > before connecting to the modem, then the PC is stable and does not
    > autoresume.
    >
    > So my guess is it could be a firewall issue which leaves the modem in a
    > funny state when going to hibernate/standby.
    >
    > I have had issues in the past when connecting using a modem via a firewall.
    > Sometimes it seems XP and modems weren't a match made in heaven (Redmond).

    Interesting. Have you checked to see if there is an updated driver for the
    modem or talked to Sony about this?

    I was thinking about your problem today. Another thought that crossed my
    mind is the settings in Control Panel's Power Options. You can use this to
    set up the system to hibernate by "closing the lid" of a laptop. If the
    latch was loose on the lid and there is a lack of clearance between the
    edge of the screen and the power switch, they could bump into each other
    enough to turn the system back on.

    I may be reaching more than I should for an explanation to your problem but
    but it does sound like the Sony laptop is not truly hibernating (power
    completely off). There is either a power switch problem of some kind or
    power management/hibernate is very different on a Sony than most laptops.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Hibernate Microsoft Windows XP