Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi, I just googled on "4.0 GHz" and on the first page, about 3rd from the top, was a link to a 4.0 GHz water-cooled AMD X6 1055T for sale at Amazon.com. It was called a "Trinity Mini" designed by Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking (dot com) and I was wondering if anyone has heard of them, or this computer? Thanks if you can help out.

Solution
Depends what your usage is tho. The X6 isn't as good in gaming as a quad core i5 750 and basically equal to a Phenom X4. But if you're doing rendering or a lot of video encoding that will utilize all the cores you can give it, then the X6 will shine.

I haven't checked out the builds... maybe provide some links for more constructive input.
So many of the current gen processors hit 4ghz you don't need to look at prebuilds like that, which are going to be overpriced. Almost any "i" core from Intel will hit 4ghz on air, and AMD 965 BE or their X6s can generally do 4ghz on air as well...

Spend only what you need. Do some research and you can spend half as much for more PC.

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Thanks for your replies.

I see they also have a 5.0 GHz system for sale on the Amazon store. Very pricey at $6300! But can anyone overclock to that speed?

That one system for $2200 plus had 6 processors in the box as well as a 128 GB SSD with Windows 7 on it. Did you guys take that into consideration? I mean, the SSD alone is half the price of the AMD build you quoted at $600 so I think you were comparing apples to oranges.

Depends what your usage is tho. The X6 isn't as good in gaming as a quad core i5 750 and basically equal to a Phenom X4. But if you're doing rendering or a lot of video encoding that will utilize all the cores you can give it, then the X6 will shine.

I haven't checked out the builds... maybe provide some links for more constructive input.

Solution

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

Hello again,

This is the link I saw posted that showed the parts for the build.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cps/2004840646.html

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

The problem is, I am "all thumbs." I work in construction and swing a sledge hammer, so whenever something "doesn't work" on my computer, my first thought it to reach for that which I use all day long :)

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I've been looking to get a very fast computer for a while now. Even the ones in the stores seem slow. I don't want to buy a "top end" system them have it be out of date in 1 year. It seems that computers and not getting that much faster and have been at 3.2 and 3.3 ghz for a while now. Where the heck are all the 4.0 ghz and faster systems?

So I searched on google, found a link on Craig's List, which was a company that had an Amazon store selling 3.9 ghz and 4.0 ghz and 5.0 ghz computers! I don't see anyone else selling them, so I thought I would ask around.

Well, it's true that stock you generally don't find 4ghz, and that's even the case here. The X6 isn't 4ghz. But it's overclocked. The thing about overclocking is that you can do it at home over a weekend. Like I said before, most of the newest CPUs can hit 4ghz on air cooling. I've had my i5 750 at 4ghz, even tho stock it's 2.6ghz. Right now I run it at 3.7ghz with turbo on, which is a nice feature. So if a program is running only a single thread my CPU hits a nice 4.25ghz.

You might be interested in waiting a few months if there's no hurry now, because Intel is about to release their "sandy bridge" CPUs which are a nice little improvement over current gen (but restricted overclocking except on specific "K" models) and also AMD is going to release some new CPUs. Even then, current generation CPUs are fast and won't be outdated for at least several years (by outdated I mean will be "slow").

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
hey buddy, i think you are placing way too much emphasis on the clock speed and not enough on the architechture.
for that price you can build/buy an x58 , intel i7 computer which is pretty much faster than that 4ghz computer... even if it isnt overclocked.

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
The architecture argument is perfectly valid, and there is an easy enough way to see which system is faster through running benchmarks.

If Wolfram and amirp wouldn't mind, I'd like to see how your systems do running the benchmark application that is on the overclocking company's page. I downloaded it and ran it, it's basically a DOS console type app, but it is complied for use with 64-bit hardware.

You can read all about it (single threaded, 64-bit, requires 1 GB to run, will create a "report.txt" file when it's done, makes a whole bunch of other smaller files as it runs which you can throw out).

http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com/benchmark_results.shtml#page_top

The top reported speed was by an Intel Xeon W3580 @ 4.95 GHz, and the running time was 3 hours, 12 min, 40 seconds.

My own time was much, much longer (5 hours+) but I am running it on an old machine.

I'd like to know what your system at 4.0 GHz can do, versus what the performance of the systems for sale can do.

Humm sorry man I'm not going to run a 4hr benchmark. I can easily post my 3D Mark Vantage scores tho, which does a CPU bench (as well as GPU). It's multithreaded, I can tell you right now at 3.7ghz it ran 16.6k and at 4ghz it was 18.4k (CPU score only)... easy enough to google some comparisons.

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

If you look at the benchmarking results on the Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking site, you can see some of the people who participated in hwbot rankings. Where there are hyperlinks to their names, it takes you directly to their HWBOT profiles.

http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com/benchmark_results.shtml#page_top

I'm getting the Intel i7-860 version with 4 processors, 12 GB RAM, and a 1 TB drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Water...1GTL6BK21ZRP9&s=generic&qid=1287147043&sr=1-3

I was quoted a price of $2050 with shipping for buying direct rather than through the Amazon store, which is what I am going to do. The systems just looks too cool not to own!

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

No problem, I understand. But when I ran it on my multi-core system, there was no interruption of what I was doing. I thought that's why they made multi-core systems, lol!

LN is for extreme overclock and benchmarking not for normal use. With a good cooler or if u want something better with a LCS is more that enough.

Now the question was mark as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.