I want to move to a RAID (1) setup. I used windows backup to make an image of my drive and then I set up the RAID and used the windows recovery disk to restore to the new RAID. Simple, right? But Windows recovery will not recognize the RAID drive as a drive it can restore to. I load the RAID driver and it starts to do the restoring but immediately jumps to an error message with the details being a generic list of possible problems.
Windows 7 64 bit
M/B: Gigabyte ep45c-ud3r (latest F5f BIOS)
Drives: Identical SATA drives
I've tried many combinations of using the Intel or Gigabyte controller (M/B has both) and installing windows first on RAID drives or single drives on a degraded RAID and nothing works. I can restore to a single SATA drive if the RAID controller is disabled. One other annoyance is that I have to restore through a USB adapter from an old IDE drive where the system image is stored because if it is plugged into the M/B it will always be drive C, regardless of what priority I set in the BIOS.
And another thing is that the drives do not like to go from the Gigabyte controller to the Intel controller. Windows will install but then I get a blue flash and reboot unless I go into the Intel RAID configuration on boot and reset the drives. I think the Gigabyte RAID driver stays on these drives and I don't know how to get rid of it.
I think the problem is that the image you got saved is a windows installation with a specific controller (AHCI single SATA) so when you try to run with different controller (RAID) system reboots. You can try and repair windows installation when RAID controller is active and see if that works. I think in the end though you might be better off (in terms of time wasted) installing everything from scratch...
I think the problem is that the image you got saved is a windows installation with a specific controller (AHCI single SATA)
Yes, that appears to be the case. Looks like the windows image will only reinstall into the exact same configuration. So I restored to a single drive, did a Windows "Easy Transfer" to my spare drive, setup the RAID, reinstalled software, and transferred the settings to the RAID. Only glitch was that after I later removed the old IDE drive I got a loooong bootup and then a failed RAID drive notification. I had to restart and hot-plug in the "bad" drive and it rebuilt the RAID.
Well, I've got my RAID now and all my settings so I'm good!
Other odd thing... My drive space was originally 167GB but the image was 57GB. I figured it did some serious compression. When I restored the image to a single drive it was only 57GB of space. All my pictures, programs, and files were there, but 110GB of space disappeared.
For those who read this post and are having the same problem, the simplest way to do this is to install the RAID drivers in your current windows setup before creating your image. You have to do a force install of the driver because it won't like the fact that it can't find a RAID array but it will work. Then create your raid array and restore windows from your image and you'll be good to go.
I did this using Active@ Boot Disk for imaging:
1. force installed ICH10R RAID driver to existing windows setup. (you would use the driver for your specific RAID controller)
2. used Active@ to create an image of my drive with the ICH10R RAID driver force installed already and copied the image to an external drive
3. wiped out the main drive, added drive number 2, created RAID 0 array (make sure you switch your hard drive configuration in the MB BIOS to RAID)
4. used Active@ boot disk to install drive image to the new RAID array.
1. Set up drives to be raid configuration in mobo bios
2. Insert windows installation cd
3. click repair my computer
4. hit f6 and install the raid drivers
From there you should be able to convert it over without losing your data.
I tried that. Didn't work. Repair always said it could not find a way to fix the problem.
I think I was unclear earlier about my lost 110GB. It's not hard drive space that was lost, it was data space. My image and subsequent restored data took up 57GB of space. Before I started, windows reported that my data was taking up 167GB of space.
Good thing to know, pjstar30. Wish I had know that before I started.