Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling an i7 and a gtx 295

Last response: in Overclocking
October 14, 2010 7:06:53 PM

Hello everyone, very helpfull people all around this site so i thought i would ask here :) 

Basically, i am wanting to water cool my asus engtx295 and my intel i7 920 mainly just for the noise and temperatures, but also so i can safely push the i7 a little bit with a stable overclock if possible. I have a little and very basic understanding of both overclocking a CPU and watercooling hardware components so please excuse me if i am a little slow with things and the processes involed. Ideally what i am after is a water cooling system capable of cooling both CPU and GPU and possibly in the near future another gtx 295.

Here is the specs of my system as of now:

Intel i7 920
Asus ENGTX295
Corsair 850watt PSU
Storm Sniper Case
4GB Ocz Gold DDR3 RAM

Thanks in advance
John

More about : water cooling gtx 295

October 15, 2010 8:02:16 AM

Thankyou that is very helpfull ortoklaz. The thing i need help with most is what parts to buy, would you or someone be able to show me a list of components needed to correctly run a water cooling circuit? etc, radiator, block...

thanks
Related resources
October 15, 2010 4:17:32 PM

Ok thanks mate, i have been doing a little last night and today and i have got a better understanding now, not enough to be in a position to buy things but enough to know the majority of what i need.

I have been having a look at this: http://www.anglianinternet.co.uk/acatalog/info_MDD027.h...

Do you have any insight as to how good it will perform?
October 15, 2010 4:46:12 PM

That overclockers sticky is fantastic, thankyou for linking me to it ;) 
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2010 4:47:43 PM

H50,H70,A.L.C,...they all small factor liquid cooling alternative for folks with small cases/space and they do perform on the same level as high end air heat sinks,but that just my opinion
October 15, 2010 5:26:02 PM

they do perform or dont perform?
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 15, 2010 7:03:14 PM

They perform about as well as top end air coolers, but cost 2-3x more.
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2010 7:52:53 PM

^+1
October 15, 2010 8:15:13 PM

i see, thanks for the input so far guys. I have been looking into the koolance 350 or 360 i think it is for the i7, what do you think of it?
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 15, 2010 9:02:26 PM

Haven't heard anything about it. I'm not a big fan of Koolance, to be honest, as they have had some shoddy stuff in the past. I mainly deal with Swiftech, DangerDen, Dtek, Feser, etc...
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2010 11:14:07 PM

Koolance have been around for some time now and yes they did get in trouble for using aluminium and later acrylics in some parts but i think the company is on the rebound, Koolance CPU-360 , Rev1.2 (universal) is one of the top rated blocks right now .There is a group of people that are strictly in to performance and there are some that appreciate well machined manifold (coming from a guy that machine parts for living),the more competition the better for costumer ,here is old thread with some nice blocks ,Aquacomputer cuplex XT di is example :
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/749693-review-22...
if i'm going to spend 70-100$ for cpu water block it better be solid and nicely machined, compared to cheap plastic/sheet metal assembly
October 15, 2010 11:36:54 PM

Stay away from the H50/H70. I just had one fail after a few months use and it took out my video card. Those are little time bombs.
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 2:24:00 PM

Im going to replace my radiator with the new Feser Admiral line that is available later this month. Will comment later.

I also have a bottle of the Ice Dragon zinc oxide nano fluid. Will use that when I get my radiator.
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 2:39:10 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Im going to replace my radiator with the new Feser Admiral line that is available later this month. Will comment later.

I also have a bottle of the Ice Dragon zinc oxide nano fluid. Will use that when I get my radiator.

who you buying from ,last time i check they were all sold out ?
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 2:40:41 PM

ortoklaz said:
who you buying from ,last time i check they were all sold out ?

the new Feser Admiral line that is available later this month
October 17, 2010 1:48:25 PM

Hey again, been having a serious research and look around on the net but i have one question still, say if i was cooling 2 cards and the cpu, how do i run the chain? Would it be better to use a splitter, like a "Y" from the radiator with one tubing feeding the cpu and another running throught the two cards and then back to another Y splitter before reaching the next part.
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 1:01:34 PM

I said I was going to replace my radiator. They are available at the end of this month.
October 18, 2010 4:30:06 PM

what has that got to do with my question?
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 4:36:22 PM

nissanlover said:
Hey again, been having a serious research and look around on the net but i have one question still, say if i was cooling 2 cards and the cpu, how do i run the chain? Would it be better to use a splitter, like a "Y" from the radiator with one tubing feeding the cpu and another running throught the two cards and then back to another Y splitter before reaching the next part.

Yes you could use "y" splitter i have seen it done (don't know if that will improve anything but it's worth a try ),"running throught the two cards and then back to another Y splitter before reaching the next part"-how about..avoid second splitter and run strait to rad/res.,if you want to run single loop i suggest large res.
here is brand new res. from koolance (not that big but worth mention);
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?...
"how do i run the chain?"--res=>pump=>cpu=>gpu=>gpu=>rad
single or dual loop...it's your call
P.S.
you be fine if you cool just one card(top of sli/cross)
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 5:47:47 PM

Run them serial, not as parallel. You will lose the head pressure when you split out the 'Y' and not get the flows you want. It's best to keep each loop in serial, if you don't want that, run dual loops.

As long as you have good flow and enough radiator to cool your components, you only need a single loop. Multiple loops are for easier management (if you swap/bench cards or CPUs) and can offer better flow rates, but it depends on how you pair your radiators.
October 18, 2010 6:44:21 PM

Thanks again, when you say ill be fine to cool just one card, what do you mean?
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 7:06:04 PM

nissanlover said:
Thanks again, when you say ill be fine to cool just one card, what do you mean?

if you have good air flow in your case and have them stack one on top of another,only the one on top could overheat ,just the way to save some "lettuce"
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 7:56:21 PM

^^ ?????????

Only put one card in a water loop and leave the other air cooled? You could...I suppose...it technically wouldn't make a difference unless the air cooled card wasn't getting good airflow (which could be the heat question to begin with).
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2010 9:20:59 PM

rubix_1011 said:
^^ ?????????

Only put one card in a water loop and leave the other air cooled? You could...I suppose...it technically wouldn't make a difference unless the air cooled card wasn't getting good airflow (which could be the heat question to begin with).

some motherboards have very close PCI spacing/no air flow but the bottom card should have plenty of air to keep the temps under control on it's own with good case air flow
October 18, 2010 9:38:17 PM

Thanks for the tip off about th RP-459X2, really really like it and am leaning towards almost definatly. How well does it perform and any idea on the amount of noise? Also, i noticed it has 2 ins and 2 outs being p1 and p2, does that mean i would be able to run p1 out to cpu and p2 out to gpu? sorry if this is a dumb question lol
October 19, 2010 3:14:19 PM

Am i right in suggesting this? or is it used for something else
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 3:53:43 PM

^Explain. Link? Not sure what you are meaning by your posts here.
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 5:01:32 PM

nissanlover said:
Thanks for the tip off about th RP-459X2, really really like it and am leaning towards almost definatly. How well does it perform and any idea on the amount of noise? Also, i noticed it has 2 ins and 2 outs being p1 and p2, does that mean i would be able to run p1 out to cpu and p2 out to gpu? sorry if this is a dumb question lol

Yes you can do that,you can run single loop with just one pump+acetal plug or run two loops with addition of 2nd pump on the same res-just little weird
"It's intended to run either a single pump, or else two pumps in parallel loops"-read the link to XS above
This is new product i would wait for some professional reviews before i buy
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 5:30:09 PM

Ah, I had to go back and read a few earlier posts to get what you were meaning by that. It's an interesting concept, but I'd be curious to see some reviews and config benchmarks for flow on this. Neat idea, hopefully functionality follows suit.
!