Water cooling an i7 and a gtx 295

nissanlover

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hello everyone, very helpfull people all around this site so i thought i would ask here :)

Basically, i am wanting to water cool my asus engtx295 and my intel i7 920 mainly just for the noise and temperatures, but also so i can safely push the i7 a little bit with a stable overclock if possible. I have a little and very basic understanding of both overclocking a CPU and watercooling hardware components so please excuse me if i am a little slow with things and the processes involed. Ideally what i am after is a water cooling system capable of cooling both CPU and GPU and possibly in the near future another gtx 295.

Here is the specs of my system as of now:

Intel i7 920
Asus ENGTX295
Corsair 850watt PSU
Storm Sniper Case
4GB Ocz Gold DDR3 RAM

Thanks in advance
John

nissanlover

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Thankyou that is very helpfull ortoklaz. The thing i need help with most is what parts to buy, would you or someone be able to show me a list of components needed to correctly run a water cooling circuit? etc, radiator, block...

thanks

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
It is very important that you expand your knowledge beyond just" little and very basic understanding of watercooling",it would make thinks alot easier for you and us. Start with sticky's ,read little watercooling related forums ,for some it takes few hours or months for others,here are few good places to start:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
H50,H70,A.L.C,...they all small factor liquid cooling alternative for folks with small cases/space and they do perform on the same level as high end air heat sinks,but that just my opinion

nissanlover

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
i see, thanks for the input so far guys. I have been looking into the koolance 350 or 360 i think it is for the i7, what do you think of it?

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Koolance have been around for some time now and yes they did get in trouble for using aluminium and later acrylics in some parts but i think the company is on the rebound, Koolance CPU-360 , Rev1.2 (universal) is one of the top rated blocks right now .There is a group of people that are strictly in to performance and there are some that appreciate well machined manifold (coming from a guy that machine parts for living),the more competition the better for costumer ,here is old thread with some nice blocks ,Aquacomputer cuplex XT di is example :
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/749693-review-22-cpu-waterblocks-tested-roundup.html
if i'm going to spend 70-100$ for cpu water block it better be solid and nicely machined, compared to cheap plastic/sheet metal assembly

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Im going to replace my radiator with the new Feser Admiral line that is available later this month. Will comment later.

I also have a bottle of the Ice Dragon zinc oxide nano fluid. Will use that when I get my radiator.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

who you buying from ,last time i check they were all sold out ?

nissanlover

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hey again, been having a serious research and look around on the net but i have one question still, say if i was cooling 2 cards and the cpu, how do i run the chain? Would it be better to use a splitter, like a "Y" from the radiator with one tubing feeding the cpu and another running throught the two cards and then back to another Y splitter before reaching the next part.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Yes you could use "y" splitter i have seen it done (don't know if that will improve anything but it's worth a try ),"running throught the two cards and then back to another Y splitter before reaching the next part"-how about..avoid second splitter and run strait to rad/res.,if you want to run single loop i suggest large res.
here is brand new res. from koolance (not that big but worth mention);
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260312&page=6
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1086
"how do i run the chain?"--res=>pump=>cpu=>gpu=>gpu=>rad
single or dual loop...it's your call
P.S.
you be fine if you cool just one card(top of sli/cross)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Run them serial, not as parallel. You will lose the head pressure when you split out the 'Y' and not get the flows you want. It's best to keep each loop in serial, if you don't want that, run dual loops.

As long as you have good flow and enough radiator to cool your components, you only need a single loop. Multiple loops are for easier management (if you swap/bench cards or CPUs) and can offer better flow rates, but it depends on how you pair your radiators.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

if you have good air flow in your case and have them stack one on top of another,only the one on top could overheat ,just the way to save some "lettuce"