Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 285 SC w/ my PSU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Power
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 1, 2009 12:49:03 PM

I have a 600w PSU that I currently have which I hope will run my new GTX 285 SC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - power supply
Do you guys think this should be enough to run my 285?


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - video card

More about : gtx 285 psu

April 1, 2009 4:45:11 PM

No problem. nvidia recommends a 550W PSU and by that they mean even an unbranded one. Sure, the SC version consumes a little more power, but no issues. It should work just fine.Make sure you have the 6-pin connectors though.

PS. I have first-hand experience of how irritating it is when no one replies
Related resources
April 1, 2009 10:54:20 PM

If it was a high quality psu you would be fine, however, rosewill is not recommended because that 600w probably puts out about 350watts of stable power.
April 2, 2009 7:25:03 AM

caniba said:
If it was a high quality psu you would be fine, however, rosewill is not recommended because that 600w probably puts out about 350watts of stable power.


350watts? I'd like to see any sort of proof.
April 2, 2009 12:35:22 PM

Well, got my video card and ran Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty World at War with no problem, even overclocked it. Appears it works fine, no hiccups.
April 2, 2009 12:57:16 PM

lejay said:
350watts? I'd like to see any sort of proof.



You don't have to believe me, it is your system.
April 2, 2009 1:02:34 PM

caniba said:
You don't have to believe me, it is your system.

I like you're committing to be wrong in all your posts.

Anyway, OP tried it and your random claim proved wrong.
April 2, 2009 1:25:27 PM

lejay said:
I like you're committing to be wrong in all your posts.


This is why I post at Tom's so I can see how many 12 year old's call me an IDIOT or STUPID when they disagree for no reason. It is quite entertaining.


lejay said:
Anyway, OP tried it and your random claim proved wrong.


I never said it wouldn't work. I was just saying I wouldn't trust it. It might never fail or maybe tomorrow or maybe next year but it sucks when it does and takes your hardware with it.

Anyway, I was thinking of the 500 watt. Here is the reference. But I imagine the 600 would not be any better.
April 2, 2009 2:07:47 PM

caniba said:
This is why I post at Tom's so I can see how many 12 year old's call me an IDIOT or STUPID when they disagree for no reason. It is quite entertaining.

I guess that makes a bit of sense.
caniba said:


I never said it wouldn't work. I was just saying I wouldn't trust it. It might never fail or maybe tomorrow or maybe next year but it sucks when it does and takes your hardware with it.

Yes, throw the "history will be the judge"-card. Did wonders for Bush.
caniba said:

Anyway, I was thinking of the 500 watt. Here is the reference. But I imagine the 600 would not be any better.

Because a 500 watt psu fails at 100v(who runs a computer at 100v?) when using 495 watts, while able to run for 8 hours straight on 400watts, you conclude that a 600watt psu will only run at 350watts?
Men accept when they are wrong. Be a man.
April 2, 2009 2:34:06 PM

lejay said:

Because a 500 watt psu fails at 100v(who runs a computer at 100v?) when using 495 watts, while able to run for 8 hours straight on 400watts, you conclude that a 600watt psu will only run at 350watts?
Men accept when they are wrong. Be a man.


I get your point. But rosewill is not a reliable brand and you don't need to defend them. If you want low quality components that's fine as long as it is not the psu because it is the only part that will most likely take more stuff with it than only itself.

After more checking the OP has the RP model which might be the only semi decent psu from rosewill. However overall rosewill not recommended.

Eggxpert Tiered Power Supply List

The point is for just a little bit more money everybody could make Yellowbeard happy and buy a high quality Corsair psu and not have to worry about psu stability.
April 2, 2009 11:59:38 PM

Sorry to say but this Rosewill PSU has been excellent. Seems high quality to me and I've seen many PSUs in my time. It runs with no hitch and is doing it's job. If it dies tomorrow then so be it. Thanks for the replies guys. Tomshardware rules
!