C2D core temp always around 80C

archeopetrix

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
hi everyone,

My C2D E6850 3.0GHz sSpec#SLA9U, frequently goes to around 75-80 degrees celsius whenever i do something like watch HD movie or even after few minutes of boot-up into Windows.

I suspected these temperatures to be high when i noticed my BIOS setup had 'CPU temp alarm warning' threshold to be of 90C (maximum). After i enabled this 'temp warning alarm' in bios, it often goes on in above mentioned situations (like after boot).

I used 'Everest Ultimate Edition' to track core temperatures.

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-G33-S2H (G33 chipset). 2GB DDR2.

Is this temperature range ok? In my country, room temperature often goes up to 40C.

If not, how can i manage pulling temperature down? Is there something i can do with CPU fan?

(EDIT: Around two months ago, I removed CPU fan to clean it up a bit and then placed it back, but the system stopped booting up after that. So i reinstalled the CPU fan with proper care this time and it worked.
Now did i do any thing wrong like wipe off thermal paste though i remember i didnt.)

thanks and sorry for my english.

r_manic

Administrator
The max CPU temp is constant regardless of your room temperature (I bet you're from a tropical or Arabic country eh?). In my experience, some people consider 80C CPU temp borderline ok—but only if you're using the CPU for really intensive tasks like computing Pi or something like that.

In your case, since you reach that temperature just watching a movie and booting up the computer your CPU is running too hot. Get a better heatsink-fan assembly for your CPU. Hope this helps! :)

As r_manic says, the temp is very high for what you are doing. That type of problem starts with the cooler and whether it is properly installed. It will also be affected somewhat by the air flow in the case as well.

Its a bit scary to hear that you removed and reinstalled "the fan" and the system didn't boot.

What cooler is installed? What did you do when you "removed the fan", why did you do that, and how did you fix it when the PC wouldn't boot?

The biggest part of the problem is most likely right here.

archeopetrix

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks everyone for your replies,

@r_manic : from India :)

@Twoboxer and sharken,

My heat sink fan is the usual one which ships along with the CPU (in the same box).

Most of the times i leave my cabinet open, so there should be plenty of air flow, i guess.

When i removed the fan, i just tried to clean the dirt with a blower (not a hot blow from a hair dryer, just a simple blower). After i was done i pressed the first diagonal-pair of those clips till it made a 'click' sound and then the second pair.

Well, i have removed and reinstalled CPU fans many times before. It was only that above mentioned time when it failed to boot. After that, since two months, i havn't touched it.

To add to the info, the CPU core temp when system is idle is around 50C.

Thanks.

archeopetrix

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Phew!! Just after I posted my last post, the high-tempeature-warning alarm (which I switched on just this morning) started ringing.. I checked Everest and it read the core1 temp as 86C, core2 temp as 85C while the motherboard temp was 91C. I quickly turned off my pc and now I am posting through my iPhone.

I never noticed these temperatures till yesterday. And now since I have done so I am really worried now.i

Does this mean that you just took the HSF off, dusted the fins and then put it back on without cleaning the old thermal paste from either the CPU or the HSF itself?

archeopetrix

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
WOW!! after spending 10 hours in this (actually spending 2 months without knowing) , i seem to have solved the problem... :bounce:

I simply removed the fan again, observed the clip's mechanism very carefully and then fixed it back there on the cpu taking care that all the clips are properly pushed in. Now average temp while idle is around 36C and highest it goes is up to 50C when utilizing 100% CPU.

I think i screwed when i tried this last time (two months ago). And since then this poor fellow has been struggling so much to serve me and i didn't even know it until i happen to go through my bios setup and noticed the overheat-temp threshold setting. There were no symptoms of overheating as such.

@sharken : you were totally right. thanks !

archeopetrix

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

yes i tried my best not to wipe off the paste. Btw i think i have solved the problem now. thanks for taking time to read and reply. :)