Computer stalling intermittently

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Processor: 3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-MX SE Plus Rev x.xx
Memory: 2G
GFX Card: Radeon 8450

My computer is stalling for 5 seconds or so, every 1-2 minutes. I check the processes with task manager, but nothing seems to bump the cpu use when it happens.

Where do I start trouble shooting?

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks.

Ok I ran:

Spybot
AVG
CCleaner
Auslogics Disc Defrag
Malwarebytes

Still doing the same thing.

When playing games it runs smooth for about a minute, then it starts hanging for 5 seconds every thirty seconds or so.

You can see the processor spikes here - http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=processrspike.jpg

Most likely not GFX card. It's brand new, and the comp seemed to be doing it with the old one.

Any ideas?

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
It was doing this before. I think it is the same thing. Stalling. It's why I went and got a better GFX card.

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
eXtreme Power Plus 460W
(RS-460-PCAR-A3)

Was told it had good reviews and would power the card.

As for memory, I'd have to open the case, but the memory usage in the task infor screen shot seems stable?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
The reason I asked about the memory was so I could check the specs. Set the voltage and timing manually to manufactures specs, your mem sticks should be in the A1 and B1 slots. Check your your multiplier, your bios shows what the current FSB Multiplier and the Max, set it to max. If none of this is working try setting your CPU voltage manually. Check the voltage range of your CPU before making any changes, then check the hardware monitor to see what it is currently running at, bump it up and test. Back to the mem, you can also try bumping your DRAM voltage up a little as well, whatever it takes to get stable.

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Alright man, I'll try my best and get back. It's just 1 stick. Might try switching it out too.

fods

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hey thanks for your help starams5.

Looks like I can stick this athlon 3000 in the M2N, but thats about it. Pretty sure that's a waste of time.

*Insert expletive* I guess I need a new freakin motherboard now.