Motherboard: GA-EP45T-UD3LR
Ram: 8gb DDR3 1333
HD: 1Tera WD
VGA: Nvidia GTX285 -1G - Point Of View
PS: Gigabyte 800W
Case: Gigabyte Sumo 5115
Monitor: HP W2248 24inch with HDMI Cable enabled by converter to the VGA Card
Keyboard Mouse: Logitech

Now I have to weird problem, my PC keep freezing a lot ... it always freeze when I play games like Call Of Duty 4 or any other games, and sometimes it freeze when I leave the PC Idle or watching a movie or even browsing ... just everything get freeze and a weird sound from the speakers and I have to make restart to work again ... did install many OS and still the same .. now I'm using windows 7 RTM 64bit

Please guys find me a solution

Thanks

More about : freezing

a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2009 9:04:53 AM

Use HWMonitor and get your temps.
August 19, 2009 9:09:24 AM

masterjaw said:

I did many times .. the CPU and all the temps are less 42c , i even open the case and touched the VGA and the motherboard heat-think .. the VGA card is so normal heat but the motherboard heat-think is sooooo hot , u can't even touch it with ur hands, i don't know id the heat-think high heat like that is normal or not....
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2009 9:17:28 AM

What the heck is a "heat-think"?

I told you to get your temps so that you could post the numbers here.

Excessive heat causes instability issues to a computer.
August 19, 2009 9:50:09 AM

Sorry bad english :)  , i ment heat sink , can u help me out how to get my temps ? i did see it at my bios setting , at health management , i there's any tool i can get get on windows? Thanks
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2009 9:52:38 AM

masterjaw said:

August 19, 2009 9:55:41 AM

oh ok i thought u ment HWMonitor that exist at the motherboard bios ... i did download the program and will post the temps when i go home for my desktop , Thanks man
August 19, 2009 6:16:08 PM

Uhm, why do people immediately say temps when defective hardware is more likely? High temps generally cause h/w to slow down, creating slow-downs; sounds like you either have h/w conflicts or defective h/w (assuming you didn't test since you did not say so).

Take out all your RAM except 1 RAM stick and check if issues are gone. Then run Memtest86 or Windows version of it if they still persist.

Then try Prime95 and stress the CPU.

Also try FurMark stress test for GPU testing.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 19, 2009 6:37:50 PM

First thing is to do a BIOS "Load Optimized Defaults", then download a copy of MemTest86+ (not 'MemTest' - known bugs!) at:
http://home.att.net/~chip.programmer/Memtest86/memtest8...
Unzip the file, and burn the .iso to CD to get a bootable memory tester; make sure that somewhere in your three selections for boot order you have 'CD-ROM' selected, boot to it, and run at least a complete pass - preferably overnight...
August 19, 2009 8:56:10 PM

Here's my temps

I did already test the ram before it was always giving me dump memory blue screen so i did change all the 4 chip rams from the vendor, now the dump memory is gone and that freezing issue appear , i'm not expert at all at the hardware i'm Microsoft Messaging & Security Systems Engineer so i know nothing about hardware but i will try to do the tests that u guys told me about and will give u the result but i feel it will be a motherboard issue

Thanks guys for your support
August 19, 2009 8:57:29 PM

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 19, 2009 9:31:48 PM

Your temps look good! If you are attempting to run four sticks of RAM, you will need a minor manual adjustment; pull all but one stick, in the slot closest to the CPU, and enter the BIOS to execute the "Load Optimized Defaults"; this will execute a piece of BIOS code that does 'hardware discovery', and sets the many 'auto' parameters that you see in the BIOS, in accordance with the hardware (especially RAM) that was 'discovered'. Then, enter the BIOS and set the following:

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to "64-bit"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
and here's the 'four stick tweak':
under ******** Mother Board Voltage Control ********
>>> MCH/ICH
"MCH Core" to either "1.20V", or "+0.1V", depending on how the adjustment is displayed...
<F10> to save and exit, and, hopefully, time to add the rest of the RAM!

Good luck!

Bill

a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 12:47:06 AM

PCKid777 said:
Uhm, why do people immediately say temps when defective hardware is more likely?

To give you more clue on what piece of hardware is failing. duh smartass?

Getting temps is the first step towards troubleshooting because it is the easiest to get. Getting specific clues is better than just doing trial-and-error hardware tests without having any leads. Anyway, if the temps isn't the problem, then just remove it off the checklist. Simple as that.
August 20, 2009 1:12:35 AM

bilbat said:
Your temps look good! If you are attempting to run four sticks of RAM, you will need a minor manual adjustment; pull all but one stick, in the slot closest to the CPU, and enter the BIOS to execute the "Load Optimized Defaults"; this will execute a piece of BIOS code that does 'hardware discovery', and sets the many 'auto' parameters that you see in the BIOS, in accordance with the hardware (especially RAM) that was 'discovered'. Then, enter the BIOS and set the following:

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to "64-bit"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
and here's the 'four stick tweak':
under ******** Mother Board Voltage Control ********
>>> MCH/ICH
"MCH Core" to either "1.20V", or "+0.1V", depending on how the adjustment is displayed...
<F10> to save and exit, and, hopefully, time to add the rest of the RAM!

Good luck!

Bill

First i have to thank you for ur help , but it didn't work , i did exactly what u said and again the problem happened , i did reconfigure the bios to load safe performance and did check the ram one bye one , then 2 by 2 , the systems stayed stable and i did play call of duty4 for about 45 minutes then it happened again .. i believe it's heat issue, the heat sink of the mother board is like hottttttttt metal .. u can't even touch it , or maybe the processor fan is not good enough .. i'm in hot country but i make my air-condition 24 hours on but still the motherboard and the ram is sooo hot ... i really don't know what to do .. that really piss me off specially that i spent a lot of money for that pc

here's a pic of the issue when happen , i did take it with my iphone , maybe it can help

a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 1:26:06 AM

If you have a hunch about temps, try to get your temps while running prime95 to see the values at load.

Anyway, if you can, try your video card on another system and see if it works fine.
August 20, 2009 1:49:39 AM

I made some stress tests with a tool i found that increase the heat for all the hardware and here's the results

Note: the PC didn't crash!!

a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 2:25:13 AM

Hmm.. a hardware must be failing at some point in time. Try testing other video card in your system or try your video card in other system.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 4:02:43 AM

Ahhh - those temps are quite a bit different! Yup - you're getting a bit hot there, and some of the changes I gave you actually make the heat problem bigger; I had you turn off the 'energy-saving' features of the CPU, as they cause the system to down-clock and down-volt the processor, which are known problems with stability. I re-read your equipment list, and (though I might have missed it) I didn't see a heatsink/fan mentioned - are you trying to use the (really marginal) stock Intel fan included with the processor? These are mostly good for paperweights - any other thing you can buy (don't spend a fortune - if you're not aiming for a 4GHz overclock - it won't matter) on the market will be at least a 300% improvement in heat moving ability.
August 20, 2009 12:44:46 PM

Here's Gigabyte reply

Dear Ahmed,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, because several possibilities might cause the problems, such as something wrong with memory, motherboard, BIOS, power, attached hardwares...etc. We suggest that you could try to do a simple test first:

Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power (simple environment), and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly, then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
7) Save changes and reboot the system.

After clearing CMOS and load the fail-safe defaults, please test your system in a simple environment to observe the result. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

But, if the problem still occurs in a simple environment, then a further testing or examination to your system might be required. We suggest you can contact your supplier or nearest distributor and see if they can help you to test your system directly. For distributor contact information, please click HERE.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
August 20, 2009 12:50:37 PM

bilbat said:
Ahhh - those temps are quite a bit different! Yup - you're getting a bit hot there, and some of the changes I gave you actually make the heat problem bigger; I had you turn off the 'energy-saving' features of the CPU, as they cause the system to down-clock and down-volt the processor, which are known problems with stability. I re-read your equipment list, and (though I might have missed it) I didn't see a heatsink/fan mentioned - are you trying to use the (really marginal) stock Intel fan included with the processor? These are mostly good for paperweights - any other thing you can buy (don't spend a fortune - if you're not aiming for a 4GHz overclock - it won't matter) on the market will be at least a 300% improvement in heat moving ability.

Well as i mentioned that tool was designed to make the temps high and see if the system will crash or not , anyway when i run games or anything the temps never reach that , and yes i use the fan which included with the processor , is it good or i buy a good fan better ?!

one more thing i'm from Egypt and now working at Saudia Arabia so i have no friends here , that why i can't have devices to test ... i can get another Graphic card or another system for test

Now the system stable with 4 gb of ram but stable when i'm making my normal work but when it come to the games always crash after while, i begin to think about the VGA card it's have soo normal heat , that's why i bought GTX285 instead GTX 280 ... this one never get heat , even when i play heavy games but maybe something wrong with the board i don't know...

i really begin to get disappointed :( 
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 2:11:26 PM

That picture sure as heck looks like a graphics card or driver crash! I get the exact same display when attempting to install Ubuntu to a virtual system under Win7's VirtualPC... What game(s) is/are crashing? do you perhaps get to similar passages before they go bad? What graphics driver version are you using? I've been badly burned by nVidia drivers in the past, badly enough to swear off ever using an nVidia card ever again!

Quote:
yes i use the fan which included with the processor , is it good or i buy a good fan better ?!

Definitely - replace it. Anything aftermarket will be much better - you don't need to spend a lot! I often recommend these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
as they get the job done, and are small enough not to interfere with almost any setup; this too:
will get the job done, and is even cheaper less expensive...

There can also be bus coordination problems that don't show up in stress testing of the processor, but will crash the machine when it 'gets busy'; I can run over 4GHz stress testing, but my personal 'stress' is watching and pausing live TV, while recording an HD stream off a networked tuner, while transcoding (and yanking commercials) from a third video stream off my router's NAS - can't get a hair above 3.825, or - boom - freeze, with an ocassional blue screen thrown in for variety!

Quote:
one more thing i'm from Egypt and now working at Saudia Arabia

I want to compliment you on your excellent English; it's better than a sizeable proportion of Americans who post here!!

I will be unavailable for several hours - mus tear apart a junk car to get some parts - and it's forty miles away; will be back late afternoon (9:00 AM right now - my time; expect to return at 5:00 PM, eight hours from now...)

August 20, 2009 2:34:14 PM

bilbat said:
That picture sure as heck looks like a graphics card or driver crash! I get the exact same display when attempting to install Ubuntu to a virtual system under Win7's VirtualPC... What game(s) is/are crashing? do you perhaps get to similar passages before they go bad? What graphics driver version are you using? I've been badly burned by nVidia drivers in the past, badly enough to swear off ever using an nVidia card ever again!

Quote:
yes i use the fan which included with the processor , is it good or i buy a good fan better ?!

Definitely - replace it. Anything aftermarket will be much better - you don't need to spend a lot! I often recommend these:
as they get the job done, and are small enough not to interfere with almost any setup; this too:

There can also be bus coordination problems that don't show up in stress testing of the processor, but will crash the machine when it 'gets busy'; I can run over 4GHz stress testing, but my personal 'stress' is watching and pausing live TV, while recording an HD stream off a networked tuner, while transcoding (and yanking commercials) from a third video stream off my router's NAS - can't get a hair above 3.825, or - boom - freeze, with an ocassional blue screen thrown in for variety!

Quote:

I want to compliment you on your excellent English; it's better than a sizeable proportion of Americans who post here!!

I will be unavailable for several hours - mus tear apart a junk car to get some parts - and it's forty miles away; will be back late afternoon (9:00 AM right now - my time; expect to return at 5:00 PM, eight hours from now...)

I wish to come back safe , anyway now what i need to do ? i felt from the beginning it's a graphic card issue , I can replace it from the provider, but do u think that will fix the problem ? or it's a driver issue or it's Point Of View board issue ... Please advice . Thanks
August 20, 2009 6:03:33 PM

Hey, by the photo you posted of the scrambled image, that's an issue with the GPU, here is the last driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_190.38...

I think the GPU is to blame and you should change it on the shop you bought it..

Fortunately or unfortunately I found a lot of people with the same GTX 285 problem as you reforcing the notion that your GPU is almost surely the defective culprit..

Some of them had to RMA like 3 times to get one right :o  , here are some links :
http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.asp?m=100705703&mpage=1&k...
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=101723
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=89996

About your temperatures they are all fine, and about the processor particularly it is perfectly ok within the intel specs specs.
--70--/--75--75--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65--65--65--Safe <--
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

but you can buy after-market-cooler to get it cooler if you desire to, and that would be cool but that's your choice.

August 20, 2009 8:41:21 PM

WoW , so u wanna tell me that i did pay 450$ for graphic card that always crash and Nvidia can't resolve that problem ?!!! , now what i have to do .. pray and keep waiting that Nvidia wake up and release driver that fix that problem ? .. hmmm do u think it's software issue or hardware?
Do u think if i change the card with another one same GTX285 it will resolve it ? i mean is that all GTX285 problem or just some cards ?

thanks for this amazing articles
August 20, 2009 10:16:37 PM

Hey, Earlier the day, I did a spin on google and read the links above among other bits of people telling their bad experience with this card, it seems to be a hardware problem since some people with this problem tried a lot of different versions of the driver to no avail, read the links and you will see that people even go as far as downclocking and putting the cooler to 100% (paying $450 for a thing that need that sort of stuff to work? no way!)

look at what cipher_nemo says at the end of the page : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=101723

"Update:

It seems NVIDIA and/or EVGA have poor production reliability. The second RMA I requested (3rd card) finally worked on the same system with no black-screening.

And I'm not alone, nor am I unucky. Others are reporting the same thing, having to RMA once or more until they get a card that isn't defective."

I suggest you to replace it for another one, or.. if that comes defective again asking for a refunding and getting let me see.. a Radeon HD 4890 1GB (it's cheaper and is OXS compatible too. the 1GB works, never seen reporting about the 2GB one working, so i don't know) then you can wait until they (nvidia) start to make something that works as advertised so you can buy a GTX 285 again :p 

Here is comparision of GTX 285 and the HD 4890 1GB
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=605&card2...

it is half the price..

August 21, 2009 12:30:10 AM

bilbat said:
First thing is to do a BIOS "Load Optimized Defaults", then download a copy of MemTest86+ (not 'MemTest' - known bugs!) at:
http://home.att.net/~chip.programmer/Memtest86/memtest8...
Unzip the file, and burn the .iso to CD to get a bootable memory tester; make sure that somewhere in your three selections for boot order you have 'CD-ROM' selected, boot to it, and run at least a complete pass - preferably overnight...

When you download and unzip the file. Don't you have to burn the ISO onto a CD, using a CD burning program like Roxie or something like that?
August 21, 2009 12:34:47 AM

bilbat said:

Quote:

Quote:

I like your username bilbat. It's almost my real name.
August 22, 2009 6:15:57 PM

Where are you guys ? , where's the support :( 
August 22, 2009 6:20:05 PM

? hey man, I am here, I came here yesterday but you gave no input anymore.

have you changed the GPU?
August 22, 2009 6:23:24 PM

lernyhard said:
? hey man, I am here, I came here yesterday but you gave no input anymore.

have you changed the GPU?

I did wait to reply my question ... again, Is it a hardware issue with my GPU only or it's general at GTX 285?!

I mean if i change it the problem will disappear ?

Thanks
August 22, 2009 6:44:48 PM

You could also then shot a mail message to point of view to see what they have to say..
after all that.
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 22, 2009 6:57:06 PM

Having read lernyhard's post of other people's grief with that card, if it were mine (which it wouldn't be - I hate nVidia to begin with - couple years back, I spent two or three weeks troubleshooting a forty-thousand line Excel macro, running in background, not even displaying anything, that was exhibiting random freezes, to learn that it was a known, but undocumented nVidia driver problem!), I'd try to RMA it to the vendor for a different card, and be done with it!
August 22, 2009 7:09:34 PM

tantan911 said:
I did wait to reply my question ... again, Is it a hardware issue with my GPU only or it's general at GTX 285?!

I mean if i change it the problem will disappear ?

Thanks

Your problem indicate a defective GPU, doing a small research I found others have reported the SAME issue with defective units of this same model but from other brand, as you have seen in my other post..

you can try to change it for the same, OR the same model from another brand(instead of point of view), or go for other different.

the shop gave you some guarantee right? that's your right to use it.

August 22, 2009 7:26:02 PM

Ok , first of all i have or shall i say I MUST thank you all guys for that great support , back home (Egypt) we have so expert guys at the hardware but here at Saudia Arabia they know nothing , I did talk to the provider and he told me to get him the whole hardware (the case) and he will test it all (Note: i just bought from him the Graphic card only) so i'm sure he will say it's another hardware issue even i have one year warranty, anyway let's hope the best ... i did contact Point Of View by mail and they told me to try the new released driver(190.68) and if the problem still , contact them again

Just a lil question before i do that driver install and test ... do i have to uninstall the current old driver and install the new one ? or just install the new one ?
what's the recommended ?

Thanks and sorry for bothering and wasting ur time guys
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 22, 2009 7:34:55 PM

Quote:
Just a lil question before i do that driver install and test ... do i have to uninstall the current old driver and install the new one ? or just install the new one ?
what's the recommended ?

I amy be just old-school, but I always (as completely as possible) remove old video drivers before installing new ones - it's just an extra reboot, and is cheap insurance. It never fails to amaze me how many companies can't even do a software removal properly - I use BitDefender, and had some problems with Win7x64, needed to re-install several times; they have two dedicated utilities for removal, after the standard uninstall runs, and I still had to go through the registry and manually delete more than three dozen keys. What I don't understand is - they have to explicitly call a method to create the damned registry keys; why can't they seem to keep track of these for the bloody uninstall? Ah well, they're freaking Romanians, may as well be written in Elbonia!
August 22, 2009 7:37:41 PM

then we are the same school cause i use bit defender as well , even sometimes it get stupid but i trust it's No1 so far
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 22, 2009 7:47:25 PM

I guess I've gotta give 'em some credit; I switched in the first place because they seemed to be one of the few AV providers whose software ran on Xp 64 & 32, as well as Vista 32 & 64; they stumbled a bit at Win7 RC1, but finally got it working after a few weeks; likewise, (surprisingly) the RTM 'broke' the 64 bit installer again, but they've been beta testing a new product, 2010, at the same time - I guess they were simply overwhelmed. I think yesterday, or the day before, they released 2010 - it's got a cleaner interface, is less intrusive, and the ring0 driver they install to the network seems faster; your old serial number will work to enable it...

But my complaint still stands (and it's certainly not limited to BD - everyone seems to have this problem); if my installer creates thirty-seven registry keys, why in the ^&%$ can't my uninstaller remove thirty-seven registry keys?!?! And my experience with 'registry cleaners' has uniformly been from bad to horrible!
August 22, 2009 8:38:48 PM

hey bilbat , i just did talk to the provider and he told me sure if it's confirmed that the card have an issue i can replace it for Ati .. so what model of ATI do you recommend me ? i need it equal to my GTX 285 but not higher price .... or do u recommend me to try another GTX 285 card ?

The provider have this card SAPPHIRE HD 4850 X2 1G GDDR3 PCI-E , it's cheaper mine GTX ... is it good card ? is it equal to GTX 285?

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 22, 2009 8:59:39 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

Looks to me like the ATI 4870s are pretty much tied with the 285; the least expensive 285 I could locate at NewEgg ($315) is:
and it's from sort of a garbage manufacturer, the cheapest 512M from a name mfg ($330) is:
which, also, just happens to be a GB! the cheapest 1G card ($345) is:

For ATI 4870s, the cheapest decent 512 ($135):
1Gs start around ($150):
2Gs at ($200):
and 4870x2s at just a little more than a 1G 285 ($360)

You pays your money, and you takes your choice!

August 23, 2009 11:52:33 AM

Bilbat , i did go to the provider today and he agree to replace it only with the cards he have ( HD 4850x2 2GB , HD 4870x2 2GB , HD 4890 1GB) 4870x2 2gb is so good but it's over cost .. but i can replace it for 4850x2 2GB and i will take about 75$

so what u think about HD 4850x2 2GB ? is it bad card? i'm not so gamer guy i just need to play games with good graphics at 1920x1200 resolution .. i don't need amazingg graphic just Good ... and SUREEEE i want it stable without problems like the GTX 285 ,, and want it fast at the games

Waiting your advice. Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 23, 2009 2:25:00 PM

Well, you have a good provider! I am not a gamer; I use a couple of cheap 3850 x 512M cards to run four 1680x1050 monitors, and still get 5.9 video rating in Vista, and 7.2 in Win7; they have plenty of 'punch' to run the Aero interface, and give me good, artifact-free TV, even with antenna ATSC HD signals... My main aim was to minimize the power requirements (and thus, the heat dump), and to lose minimal memory to video memory 'mapping' when running x86 operating systems.

Any of these boards will give you frame rates that will, for most games, exceed human visual accuity, which is about 25 FPS; as you are running 7x64, you also don't need to worry about how much memory you will lose to 'mapping' of a two gig card; and your power supply has plenty of 'headroom' to power any of the cards. What I would recommend is to make a deal with your provider for a card that will be inexpensive enough (compared to your 285) so that he can 'throw in' an inexpensive CPU heatsink/fan - then you will have two problem areas covered with one transaction...

The 9.7 driver suite from ATI finally got it right, at least for me, with Win7; up until that driver, managing multiple screens was a problem (but a solveable problem - it just required too much effort); also, the previous drivers running on RC1 would 'break' IE8, causing a right click on any 'favorite' to crash the browser; 9.7 drivers on RTM fixed all of this, and added a better, less distracting interface. Another great feature of the driver set is that it will overclock the card automatically through a test routine that you initiate - it takes about two or three minutes per card, as it 'runs up' and 'exercises' both the GPU and the video memory while 'watching' the temperatures, to find a 'safe' OC. I looked this morning, and a 9.8 driver has become available:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...
I will download and report on it sometime soon, likely today...
August 23, 2009 4:20:50 PM

Still you didn't give me your opinion about the HD 4850x2 Or HD 4890 .. cause they are the both cards at my list from the available cards at the provider since the HD 4870x2 is so high price

So, Which one is better HD 4890 Or 4850x2 ? and if the HD 4850x2 better , is it a good card with no issues ? i already read many reviews about it including Cnet and they gave a very good reviews about it , it even beat up the GTX 280

BTW , the provider have only ATI cards from Sapphire

I need ur opinion cause i have to choose after one hour

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 23, 2009 5:02:20 PM

Ack! Now (my browser is working verrrry sloooowly, as I'm downloading all the ATI 9.8 drivers) I've found reviews on both sides of the 4850x2 vs 4890 issue! For my money, if you haven't already left to get one - take the one that's least expensive! I doubt you will be able to see a subjective difference...
August 24, 2009 7:46:50 AM

i got the new HD 4890 , it's very decent card and fast and more cheaper which made me able to buy good logitech speakers and strong fan for the processor http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1148&ID=15... , But surprise!!! the problem still existing , i did play for about one hour then it happen again, now i guess my finger are pointing to the motherboard i don't know , anyway i will do the final check again today cause it was so late yesterday when it happened and i had to sleep cause my early work

so what u think guys after we knew now it's diffidently not the GPU ?!
August 24, 2009 8:01:24 AM

when you turn on your computer, do you get peeps? or any weird sound? if so let us know.

i did have this problem before but not while playing games, just using the internet after 2 hours of using the internet my computer used to froze by it self, i thought it was the explorer thingy, but then i formated my pc and it still was there.

i opend my computer, i took the ram out and put in back again, took all the wires and put them in back again, and it sloved my problem, dont know try it worth the try.

just make sure everything is clicked and all the way in on your motherboard, also i rest the bios setting to defaults, you might not have the same problem, but might fix your problem.
August 24, 2009 9:49:32 AM

surda said:
when you turn on your computer, do you get peeps? or any weird sound? if so let us know.

i did have this problem before but not while playing games, just using the internet after 2 hours of using the internet my computer used to froze by it self, i thought it was the explorer thingy, but then i formated my pc and it still was there.

i opend my computer, i took the ram out and put in back again, took all the wires and put them in back again, and it sloved my problem, dont know try it worth the try.

just make sure everything is clicked and all the way in on your motherboard, also i rest the bios setting to defaults, you might not have the same problem, but might fix your problem.

Thanks for your support , i will try this today and inform you with the results , i really don't know what's going on, i don't even knows where that come from .. is it from the MB or the CPU or maybe the HD, I even have doubts about the ram even i did test it many times .. really i got sooo confused

My pc make just a small beeb at the power on but i think that's normal , and BTW my PC sometimes freeze while browsing or watching movies too
August 24, 2009 11:35:26 AM

Guys i wanna ask a dump question , is the GPU card get connected with 2 power cables or only one?!

Now it's connected with two separated red PCI E connectors

is it the right installation cause a friend told me i connect only one cable and i need to connect the two only if it was cross fire with another GPU card

Please advice

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 24, 2009 2:59:39 PM

Quote:
Guys i wanna ask a dump question , is the GPU card get connected with 2 power cables or only one?!

Is no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb mistakes from not asking questions!

Confucius: "One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." :o 

I downloaded and read a couple of 4890 manuals - plug in both 2x6 power connectors.

First question: are you still getting the scrambled screen when it freezes? Does it always happen in one particular game? If so, which one? I have seen problems that involve one particular 'phrase' (a level or situation whose action occurs in the same backgound scene) in a game, that would appear to be problems in the actual make-up of the scene itself for rendering... I re-read this whole post, to see what I'm consistently missing, and I keep coming back to your memory itself running hot - "ram is sooo hot"; I may have missed it in the re-read, but why don't you give me the actual part number of your RAM? I have in mind a couple of experiments - possibly 'down-clocking' your RAM to see if we can get it to run a bit cooler... I would also like you to download MemSet here:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b2.zip
as we will want it to get an accurate read of the SPD data on the RAM itself...
!