Sign in with
Your question

Home Media Server/DVR

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2009 2:01:42 PM

Hey all! How are you doing? Reason I am posting is I just put together my second computer ever a i7 920 built gaming pc. I've got the itch to keep on building and was wondering about Home Media Servers.

I've currently got two computers, an external hard drive and my ps3 on the network. We've got a lot of files and media being spread between the 4 and I would like to consolidate them all into one server. The only other thing different then just simple networking is, I would like to also be able to burn, rip and record DVD's, CD's, T.V. and maybe another video format? I have two 1tb drives that I would put into the server. Other then that, I am not sure what is a good path to follow or what are some good effective parts to purchase to not only to do what I am looking for, but be some what forward compatible.

I would like to have the server out in the media room hooked up to our T.V. which is a HD 1080p Screen. I would like to no longer keep renting our providers DVR and use the server to record from there. Also, I would tend to believe it should be fairly quiet?

Again, maybe I am not sure what I am looking for. But have an idea of what I'd like. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

More about : home media server dvr

March 9, 2009 12:19:36 AM

ajlchase said:
Hey all! How are you doing? Reason I am posting is I just put together my second computer ever a i7 920 built gaming pc. I've got the itch to keep on building and was wondering about Home Media Servers.

I've currently got two computers, an external hard drive and my ps3 on the network. We've got a lot of files and media being spread between the 4 and I would like to consolidate them all into one server. The only other thing different then just simple networking is, I would like to also be able to burn, rip and record DVD's, CD's, T.V. and maybe another video format? I have two 1tb drives that I would put into the server. Other then that, I am not sure what is a good path to follow or what are some good effective parts to purchase to not only to do what I am looking for, but be some what forward compatible.

I would like to have the server out in the media room hooked up to our T.V. which is a HD 1080p Screen. I would like to no longer keep renting our providers DVR and use the server to record from there. Also, I would tend to believe it should be fairly quiet?

Again, maybe I am not sure what I am looking for. But have an idea of what I'd like. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is what I'm after not possible? Or has there been an in depth article on someone who has accomplished this before? I would like to read up on it as such.
m
l
March 9, 2009 5:47:35 PM

What you're talking about is a home theater PC (HTPC). There's sites and guides on the web that have a lot of HTPC information available. Compared to a gaming PC, the processor and graphics requirements are usually much less (unless you want to rip and compress a lot of DVDs or something). You can use a lower power processor and a lower power graphics card (which can accelerate HD video). Lower power means less heat and therefore fewer fans to keep things cool. This means you can have the machine on in your living room without it driving you nuts.

It's possible to us an HTPC to replace a DVR, with a tuner card and the right software. Windows Media Center is a popular option, as is the linux-based mythtv. I've used GB-PVR and a hauppage tuner with ok results on my desktop, but I'm keeping my cable company DVR at this point.

The other thing that might be specialized is the case. If you want the PC to match the other home theater components by your TV, Antec and others make horizontal cases in that style.

The best place to start might be www.silentpcreview.com/. Also, just google HTPC and see where it takes you.
m
l
March 9, 2009 5:53:45 PM

I would check out avsforums - they have great guides to building various configs of HTPCs and even separate media storage (though yours will be in one box).

That's where I'd start (in fact I have done plenty of reading there as well).
m
l
!