Repair a homebuilt system

bodhidharma

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Hey folks -- with a lot of help from this forum, I built a machine about a year ago with my son... and now he's having problems with it. The problems are due to a recent event, not the original build: he left the machine plugged in and turned on during an electrical storm one night when he was going out. When he got back home, the power clearly had gone out, and the computer was quiet. Now, when he turns it on ...NOTHING happens. Absolutely nothing. No spin-up of disk or fan, no lights blinking, nothing. He replaced the power supply, but this had no effect.

I'm thinking MB is bad? Otherwise it would start the fan and spin a disk or something, then maybe have problems finishing? Do y'all agree? Can you think of anything I could do to test this hypothesis? Should I just send him a new MB and tell him to swap it in?

Thanks in advance!!

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
worst case scenario is the whole lot is fried.
best is that the MB took the worst of the hit.
if you can get your hand on a spare system with identical socket as your sons current one. then swap the ram, the psu and the CPU.

bingo, find the offending part.

on a personal note, my dad helped me build my first system and its the happiest memories i have of him.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
It might just be the PSU. Or it could be a combination of any of the components or all of them. Lightning hit my pc in December 2008 and took out the PSU, motherboard,soundcard and firewire card. I would start with the PSU and work my way from there.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
If I may,, take out the cpu and the ram and video card and sound card and take them,if possible,,to the nearest computer store for testing,you know that your new psu works so,,,..The cpu and the ram etc could/will cost as much if not more than the mobo,,then and only then will you know where upon to lay your $$$$,..:)

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Excellent idea. I did not even see that the OP had already tried another PSU.Oops!

bodhidharma

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks, guys, as usual you are great!

I'm thinking the PSU is fine -- new one swapped in, no change. Don't
you think the fan or disk would spin up if it were just the RAM or CPU?
(Or video card) This is what made me think of the MB.

I dunno, or could there be some basic fuse or something somewhere?
(I know, we're talking about a PC, not a car.)

But, am I right, the bottom line you guys are suggesting is:
if possible, take some parts (RAM, CPU, various I/O cards) to
a friendly neighborhood shop and have them swapped in and
tested, if bad they get replaced; if not, it is likely the MB.
Is that right?

Gotta tell you: my son lives in Switzerland, where my experience is
(from five years living their myself), people (in shops or anywhere
else) very rarely will help you out, so I can't see us getting this
kind of swapping-testing. I may just have to ship him a new MB
and hope that helps.

Thanks again, everyone.

TRENDING THREADS