how to export a playlist (Windows Media Player) from PC to..

December 6, 2004 6:11:13 PM

(I am building a test for my final year work for university and) need to
build a playlist and then exporting it to PocketPC to play it there.
I need to build it in advance, because I do not always have access to use
the PocketPC.

Can anybody help please.
They are all .wmv (encoded with Windows Media Encoder - codec 9) and should
be separated by a 5sec interval.

thx!

December 6, 2004 7:08:34 PM

Sure, read all about playlists here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

You should be able to get a basic playlist working in about 30 minutes
with just a text editor, and to your desired solution in about 1 hour
;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:11:13 +0100, "Kurt Verduyn"
<kurt.verduyn@UGent.be> wrote:

>(I am building a test for my final year work for university and) need to
>build a playlist and then exporting it to PocketPC to play it there.
>I need to build it in advance, because I do not always have access to use
>the PocketPC.
>
>Can anybody help please.
>They are all .wmv (encoded with Windows Media Encoder - codec 9) and should
>be separated by a 5sec interval.
>
>thx!
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:02:59 PM

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> Sure, read all about playlists here :
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> You should be able to get a basic playlist working in about 30 minutes
> with just a text editor, and to your desired solution in about 1 hour
> ;-)

I'm probably missing something here, but I get faults running my
..wvx-playlist
If my movies and my .wvx are in the same directory, how do I fill in the
<REF HREF= ...> to play it correct, I think that is my mistake :-S

Let's say I have a directory called movies with in this dir all my movies to
play, and also my .wvx

This is what I found allready, I tried several things for HREF, these are
the ones I tried...
<Entry>
<Ref href = "flower_200Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
OR
<Ref href = "mms:tempete_250Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
OR
<Ref href = "C:\tempete_250Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />

But they all don't work.
What is my problem??

thx!

//this is my full .wvx file ....
<ASX version="3.0">
<!-- Test playlist voor PocketPC -->
<Title>Presentatie thesis</Title>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "//flower_200Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "//football_300Kbps_5fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "//tempete_250Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
</ASX>

> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:11:13 +0100, "Kurt Verduyn"
> <kurt.verduyn@UGent.be> wrote:
>
>> (I am building a test for my final year work for university and)
>> need to build a playlist and then exporting it to PocketPC to play
>> it there.
>> I need to build it in advance, because I do not always have access
>> to use the PocketPC.
>>
>> Can anybody help please.
>> They are all .wmv (encoded with Windows Media Encoder - codec 9) and
>> should be separated by a 5sec interval.
>>
>> thx!

December 8, 2004 6:11:08 PM

Kurt Verduyn wrote:
> Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
>> Sure, read all about playlists here :
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>>
>> You should be able to get a basic playlist working in about 30
>> minutes with just a text editor, and to your desired solution in
>> about 1 hour ;-)
>>

> I'm probably missing something here, but I get faults running my
> .wvx-playlist

euh, never mind this last question. I experimented some more and this little
code now works:
<ASX version="3.0">
<!-- Test playlist voor PocketPC -->
<Entry>
<Ref href = "flower_200Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "football_300Kbps_5fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<Ref href = "tempete_250Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
</Entry>
</ASX>

Why does it work? After editing with WordPad I decided to save the textfile
with 'save as type' as 'Textdocument' instead of 'Unicode Textdocument' and
that seemed to solve my problem.

More problems will probably show up, but for now I can work further.

thx anyway for the link, is quite nice ;-) :-)

Kurt

December 8, 2004 9:11:02 PM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:11:08 +0100, "Kurt Verduyn"
<kurt.verduyn@UGent.be> wrote:

>Kurt Verduyn wrote:
>> Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
>>> Sure, read all about playlists here :
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>>>
>>> You should be able to get a basic playlist working in about 30
>>> minutes with just a text editor, and to your desired solution in
>>> about 1 hour ;-)
>>>

>> I'm probably missing something here, but I get faults running my
>> .wvx-playlist
>
>euh, never mind this last question. I experimented some more and this little
>code now works:
><ASX version="3.0">
><!-- Test playlist voor PocketPC -->
> <Entry>
> <Ref href = "flower_200Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
> </Entry>
> <Entry>
> <Ref href = "football_300Kbps_5fps_75quality.wmv" />
> </Entry>
> <Entry>
> <Ref href = "tempete_250Kbps_30fps_75quality.wmv" />
> </Entry>
></ASX>
>
>Why does it work?

Because it's now syntactically correct - - -
You added the (required) ASX tags ? Cool ;-)

> After editing with WordPad I decided to save the textfile
>with 'save as type' as 'Textdocument' instead of 'Unicode Textdocument' and
>that seemed to solve my problem.

Probably wordpad (and certainly word) will mung it. Try notepad,
Homesite, BBEdit, HTMLGate, XMLSpy or Edit+, they're all good text
editors which is what you want here - no formatting, it's XML content
;-)

>More problems will probably show up,

You'll be fine.

> but for now I can work further.
>
>thx anyway for the link, is quite nice ;-) :-)
>
>Kurt

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 5:48:41 PM

<snip>

>> More problems will probably show up,
>
> You'll be fine.

I have a small quesion.
I made the full playlist and between each movie there is a .jpg that has to
play for 5seconds.
So, I made a black_screen.jpg with size of 1 black pixel and with <Param
Name="DURATION" Value= "00:00:05"> or something like that.
This works on PC, but when exporting to PocketPC off course it skipped the
..jpg and continued with the next movie.
I solved it by making a movie (black_screen.wmv) from this jpg with duration
of 5sec with Windows Movie Maker and using this in the playlist.
Problem solved, allmost. Instead of playing 5sec black, it only plays about
3-4sec on PocketPc, on PC it plays the full 5sec.
Another problem I encountered is that all files that you use in your
playlist have to be in the same directory when playing on pocketPC. Problem
easily solved off course, but still I didn't find any info about this.

Anyway, my questions are: (they don't have to be solved, because I solved
them in my own way, but knowing why it didn't work would be nice)
-how else to solve the .jpg duration on PocketPC?
-how to solve the problem of all files in the same dir on pocketPC?
-why only playing 3/4 seconds on PocketPC?

I want to know the answers because I have to report what problems I
encountered during research, and also on which ways I could have solved it,
and which solution I chose and why ...

thx!

Kurt Verduyn
Student informatics University Ghent, Belgium
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:51:00 PM

!