Sign in with
Your question

File sharing between Windows 7 and Vista!

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • File Sharing
  • Windows Vista
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 10, 2009 10:04:34 PM

Hello guys,

I have a desktop PC with installed Windows 7 and a laptop with installed Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2.
The thing is that I want to setup a network between these 2 computers in order to share files - just that!
I have a crossover cable. How is this possible? I did plugged the ends of the cable to both of the pc, but no network.

Is there any solution?
Any comment would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys,

More about : file sharing windows vista

July 11, 2009 12:58:23 AM

You should make sure the user account exists on both computers, same name and password.
Are the folders or hard drives shared for this user?

Can you ping the other computers IP address?

July 11, 2009 4:30:13 AM

I did manage to make both computers show network, but for some reason it says that File sharing on port 445 (SMB) is not open or something... I did open the port on both computers through Windows Firewall, and disabled the antivirus and firewall on both computers, but still can't connect to any of the computers even if they are shown. I even opened every port responsible for file sharing, etc...

I don't know what should I do!

If anyone here know a quick step-by-step guide in order what should one do, please drop a few lines 'cause these network crap is driving me crazy and I am very close to smash something! :( 

Thanks,
Related resources
July 11, 2009 1:46:34 PM

Have you tried turning off the firewalls on both computers to test the connection.

Also the settings located here may be the cause.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
July 11, 2009 10:14:32 PM

lyleb said:
Have you tried turning off the firewalls on both computers to test the connection.

Also the settings located here may be the cause.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Hello,

Yes! I've tried that also. I even opened same accounts on each of the computers.

Any step-by-step guide to Windows 7 and Vista networking would be useful, or any program, etc..

:|

Thank you,
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 7, 2009 8:41:16 PM

Hi an old fashioned way to get around this problem.

Firstly right click properties on My computer on both computers. Make sure the Workgroup is the same name on both ie. "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP". Then go to the network adapter settings, in the list find "TCPIP" go to properties and enter consecutive IP addresses (i.e 192.168.0.0.1 desktop, 192.168.0.0.2 laptop) set gateway equal to a different number (same on both pc's) and finaly set DNS to another number same on both pc's. After you do all this remove the cable and both pc's should see each other even if the users are dif.
October 26, 2010 2:40:05 AM

Right click on your c drive or the Public directory and go right into security(not sharing). you must add a "guest" account and give them all access.
it goes through some file stuff which takes a while but it works.
November 13, 2010 1:42:15 PM

Quote:
Hi an old fashioned way to get around this problem.

Firstly right click properties on My computer on both computers. Make sure the Workgroup is the same name on both ie. "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP". Then go to the network adapter settings, in the list find "TCPIP" go to properties and enter consecutive IP addresses (i.e 192.168.0.0.1 desktop, 192.168.0.0.2 laptop) set gateway equal to a different number (same on both pc's) and finaly set DNS to another number same on both pc's. After you do all this remove the cable and both pc's should see each other even if the users are dif.

Thanks it helped conect windows 7 and vista
!