How to download a video from a web without altering the quality?

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hi :) ,

I have the DownloadHelper in Mozilla and Internet Explorer. With that extension I can download *.flv videos from a web (not youtube). But I discovered that when I play the video that I downloaded, the quality is not the same as the original video. I lose quality. The only way to download the videos that I want is via DownloadHelper. I tried with the convert option to different formats and I cant get the same quality as in the original web page. Why? I dont know. Maybe is a codec thing? or I need to do something special? please give me your opinion. Thank you.

If your downloading the FLV files, then you are getting the source. Download helper doesn't transcode. Sometimes you will have multiple resolutions to choose from. The default download may not be the highest available or the one your watching on the page.

This is often true of youtube, for example

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Confirmed*

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Thank you. I discovered the problem. Is the player. I tried with Media Player, KMPlayer and others. In order to get the exact same quality that I saw in online streaming I needed to download an exclusive *.flv player. FLV Player4Free works like a charm. I tried alot and that specific software was the best. To corroborate: generally I get a *.flv video for medium quality online videos and a *.mp4 for high quality online videos. Are we really sure that Im getting the exact complete source like the original video?