Dell optiplex gx280 small form factor pc is noisy

jihuang

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have dell optiplex gx280 small form factor pc. It is small and cute, but very noisy. The noise is noticeable compare to other dell or non-dell computers. Does anyone else have this model, and is it noisy also? If it is only the porblem for my pc, I may buy another one of the same model. Otherwise, I may look for other small form factor pc .

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Contact Dell about it to see if the level of noise you're experiencing is normal.
And how old is the GX280 you're using?

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I would open the unit up and blow it out with compressed air, It sounds like the fans are trying to over compensate for the heat by blowing faster and harder =)

We have a few at the shop and they tend to run alittle warm becuase of the slim design but by no means are they overly loud.

I have a Small form factor i use as an htpc i did a stupid anthough nice upgrade to it went from P4 2.8 to PD 3.4 and same deal very loud. I fixed it with cleaning out the case as above and changing the thermal paste from stock Dell square pile o crap to that freez stuff workes great now no sound unless playing 1080p stuff but the poor thing is being tortured at that point LOL. :hello:

T