What RAM can I choose for this MB?

bilbat

Splendid
Going from DDR2-800 to 1066 actually gets you about a 6% increase in memory throughput - probably not worth the money just for that; however, if you intend to overclock, raising the FSB past 1600 (i.e., a system clock past 400) demands faster memory - that is the real value of faster RAM... If you'd like more clarification on the subject, post back: I have a little 'canned' post about the memory multipliers, and their effect in overclocking... DDR2-800 will run at 1.8V, versus 2.1V for most 1066, which will obviously use less power, but a stick of RAM only uses from a watt to a watt and a half of power, so that issue is pretty much moot!

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Understood, I will forget the power issue with these ram :) However I will definately not be overclocking this motherboard.

I will go with DDR2-800.

ITemplate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Excellent thanks. So I will need 240 Pins :)

bilbat

Splendid
I wouldn't buy Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial - too many problems reported, plus lousy specs and support. I used to think of OCZ as respectable, but we've also seen problems with determining correct voltage for some chipsets. The one I've seen uniform success with (and have 12 G of, 8 running on an X48 at a half volt under spec, at 1080) here, on several chipsets, is G.Skill F2-8500CL5D.

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
You must have just had badluck Bilbat, For over several years I have built machines with Corsair and OCZ, Of coarse i have seen sticks go bad, ive seen everything go bad. But the overall consistency over Kingston, Buffalo Tech, Patriot and other various companys exponentially.

There is always a chance that it could happen. Same thing if you buy a Brand New BMW or high end automobile. The Tranny could take a dive pulling out of the dealers lot. Once things make it past its initial burn in period it will probley last years if its of good brand and quality.

G.skill i havent really dealt with nearly as much as the other brands but overall its a good product also from what i hear.

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Also quick when ur talking about amounts of the stuff i have delt with your talking in the hundreds possibly thousands of machines I have built. I used to work for a Midwestern PC manufacturer , we did all new builds and service in house. unlike the Geek Squad which is a joke. When I sold a PC to someone. I actually built it with my own 2 hands, and did all support for the end user myself.

bilbat

Splendid
I would never buy the stuff, and so have no direct experience - I'm only going by what I see here, answering six to twelve posts a day, for the last five or six months; besides basic SPD problems, the most damning symptom (and I think the count is up to four of these) is that Corsairs appear to 'degrade' over time, causing a once working OC to simply fail, with MemTest86+ pointing to the RAM setup - either slow it down, or replace the RAM... I have, unfortunately, not kept track to know whether this is just one offending part number, or a more generically distributed problem. They do seem to have done an excellent job, however, of their pieces to support the i7/x58 systems - theirs seem to be one of the few that work consistently...

TRENDING THREADS