Sign in with
Your question

Installing new memory computer won't boot (not dust or broken memory)

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 19, 2009 5:52:38 PM

Hi All,

I've tried searching for this problem before posting but havn't come up with much.

My motherboard has 4 slots for RAM so I decided to fill the vacent 2 with some new RAM. Now with some configurations of RAM the computer doesn't get to the boot loader (but turns on HDD, CD-drives, nothing on screen though). With others It holds at the bootloader but never boots windows, and the only 2 configurations of RAM I've gotten into windows with are

[1GB][1GB][Empty][Empty]

and
[2GB][Empty][Empty][Empty]

(where the 2GB sticks are the new ones).

this would make sense if my motherboard only took a max of 2GB of RAM but according to ASUS she'll take 8GB. I've managed to rule out failing RAM (on all 4 pieces), its definitly not dust (was my first guess too)...

From the reading I've been doing it's suggested that I turn up the voltage to the RAM and MSH (whatever MSH is but i see no option for it) for people's computers with similar symptoms. However I dont ovrclock my computer so that doesn't really fit either.

so, anyone have any ideas on what problem is ailing my computer and how to resolve it?

my motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI (non-deluxe)
my old RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair VS1GB533D2
my new RAM: 2x 2GB Crucial CT25664AA667

thanks,
Rabit

August 19, 2009 6:26:20 PM

You need to place ram in slots like below. Not sure if you can use your 1gb sticks with the 2gb sticks since they are not the same size in GB and you would also need XP64-BIT OS or Vista 64-bit OS to see more then 4gb (actually between 2,8 to 3.5 gb on 32-bit OS).

[2GB][Empty][2GB][Empty]
http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/663001.png

Remember that you need to keep same size (gb) in every other ram slot. Which you can do after you try above with 2gb in 1st & 3rd ram slots.
[2GB][1GB][2GB][1GB]
http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/663001.png

Hope this helped out some.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 19, 2009 8:52:59 PM

theres no love, with both configurations you mentioned it boots but the motherboard doesn't beep and it display the bootloader on screen.

The HDD I could hear working and CD-drives opened/closed though.

the origional setup I had (before the new RAM) was [1GB][1GB][empty][empty] also which has worked swimmingly for the past 2 years.

thanks for the response =]

any other suggestions?
Rabit
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 19, 2009 9:27:28 PM

2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module
CT25664AA667

* Module Size: 2GB
* Package: 240-pin DIMM
* Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
* Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

----------------

Corsair VS1GB533D2

1GB (1 x 1GB) - 533MHz DDR2-533/PC2-4200 - Non-ECC - DDR2 SDRAM - 240-pin

I think the problem is that you have memory that differs too much

1) one run at 533mhz the other 667mhz sometime the motherboard should automatically downclock , but maybe this is not the case here

2) Whats your motherboard, it might not support 667 mhz

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 19, 2009 9:57:47 PM

my motherboard is an ASUS M2N-SLI.

I dunno if the memory's will work together, it's not too important that they do, I'm going to buy 2 more of the crucial 2GB modules at the end of the month (assuming I can figure it out/let you guys figure it out for me and take all the credit =p).

I've tried with just the two 2GB crucials as per Yoosty's suggestion but that didn't boot either, this doesn't rule out the theory that the 2 RAM types are incompatible but it shows that there is another more pressing problem thats stopping 2 pieces of RAM of the same type wont work together.

Rabit

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 19, 2009 10:12:13 PM

hmm my neighbours come down and had a look and has confirmed that one of my new RAMS is broken, something which I'd already tried...

must of cocked up that one.

sorry for wasting the space on your forums. =]

Rabit
August 19, 2009 10:25:26 PM

Hmmm,on my Asus M2N-E mobo the ram pairs are 1-3 ,&, 2-4....had 1x1 of Crucial Ballistic PC6400,the sucker loves it..:) 
August 19, 2009 10:43:02 PM

Sorry to say it may be your motherboard has 2 defective slots. I see this a lot in older motherboards the mfr doesn't properly connect the last 2 slots since they never expect them to be used. Another possibility is the your second set has a little different voltage needs then the 1st set. If this is the case your going to have to go with one set or the other. I'd just stick with the 2 pcs of the 2GB that you used before. Windows doesn't see 4gb anyway unless your running in a 64bit version. You might save up you money and go with a new motherboard that will support all the RAM you have now. See if you have a local computer store that will work with you on testing you Ram with some different models. You may pay more but they usually will work with you.
a b } Memory
August 20, 2009 5:01:47 PM

Quote:
hmm my neighbours come down and had a look and has confirmed that one of my new RAMS is broken, something which I'd already tried...

must of cocked up that one.

sorry for wasting the space on your forums. =]

Rabit

No problem always happy to be able to help out

Hope you find a fix to your problem
!