Problems Playing WMA's on PPC

December 6, 2004 5:15:48 PM

Hi All!

I have a Dell Axim (emabarassing, but I forgot the model
number. It's the older, shapely one -- X something, not
the newer, squarer one) with 32MB RAM and PPC 2003. This
problem concerns WMA's (192k stream) ripped on my PC
running WMP 10. The songs are stored on my CF card.

I have been having a really weird problem -- I can't seem
to play my music files on my PPC. What happens is that
every time I tap on WMP (version 9) to play the files, it
plays a song for a while and then stops. Just stops. I
can't hear a thing at this point. However, some of the
times, the song counter keeps moving up, but there's no
sound. Also, some of the other times, the song length
shows up totally wrong (like 34 minutes, instead of the 4
minutes or so that the song is) and the progress
indicator skips to the end of the song pretending that
the song is over (which it's not!).

One note is that the song plays for about 30 seconds or
so before the aforesaid weirdness takes over.

After this silence (or "non-playing") goes on for a while
(probably another 30-40 seconds), it skips to the next
song and starts playing that. The next song that plays
after this usually plays completely (or almost
completely).

Of course, there's no way I can skip around in the
playlist, since the song I skip to will simply not play,
or exhibit the above behavior. In general, no song will
play completely. If I just surrender to the whims of the
player, it will clam up and/or skip songs merrily until
it comes to a song that it plays completely. I have not
been able to pinpoint a pattern in this bizarre
behavior.

At one point, I thought that my license file was corrupt.
So I deleted it from my PPC and re-synced all the songs.
That worked for a song or two before the problem started
all over again.

Is this a memory issue which can be solved by upgrading
to a slightly beefier PPC? Or is this something that
PPC's are cursed with.

On a related note, my old HP Jornada 548 *never* had this
problem. In fact, I am thinking of dumping the Dell and
going back to my old PPC. However, since I have invested
in moving forward with PPC 2003 and all, any help in
resolving this would be much appreciated.

I could try to play songs from the main memory, but I
barely have enough for 4-5 songs.

Thanks!
P-Chip
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:07:03 PM

If you used WMP 10 to rip the music it may not work on the axim since it has
WMP9...it could work if you used WMP10 to convert and move the files to you
axim...all you have to do is put the axim in the cradle, open WMP10, go to
devices, choose the axim, and then on the left side choose the music to send
to it...by default WMP10 will convert the music so that it works on the
pda...if you don't like the way it sounds, you can manually change the
settings....i suspect this is your problem...how did you move the files to
the axim?

"P-Chip" wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have a Dell Axim (emabarassing, but I forgot the model
> number. It's the older, shapely one -- X something, not
> the newer, squarer one) with 32MB RAM and PPC 2003. This
> problem concerns WMA's (192k stream) ripped on my PC
> running WMP 10. The songs are stored on my CF card.
>
> I have been having a really weird problem -- I can't seem
> to play my music files on my PPC. What happens is that
> every time I tap on WMP (version 9) to play the files, it
> plays a song for a while and then stops. Just stops. I
> can't hear a thing at this point. However, some of the
> times, the song counter keeps moving up, but there's no
> sound. Also, some of the other times, the song length
> shows up totally wrong (like 34 minutes, instead of the 4
> minutes or so that the song is) and the progress
> indicator skips to the end of the song pretending that
> the song is over (which it's not!).
>
> One note is that the song plays for about 30 seconds or
> so before the aforesaid weirdness takes over.
>
> After this silence (or "non-playing") goes on for a while
> (probably another 30-40 seconds), it skips to the next
> song and starts playing that. The next song that plays
> after this usually plays completely (or almost
> completely).
>
> Of course, there's no way I can skip around in the
> playlist, since the song I skip to will simply not play,
> or exhibit the above behavior. In general, no song will
> play completely. If I just surrender to the whims of the
> player, it will clam up and/or skip songs merrily until
> it comes to a song that it plays completely. I have not
> been able to pinpoint a pattern in this bizarre
> behavior.
>
> At one point, I thought that my license file was corrupt.
> So I deleted it from my PPC and re-synced all the songs.
> That worked for a song or two before the problem started
> all over again.
>
> Is this a memory issue which can be solved by upgrading
> to a slightly beefier PPC? Or is this something that
> PPC's are cursed with.
>
> On a related note, my old HP Jornada 548 *never* had this
> problem. In fact, I am thinking of dumping the Dell and
> going back to my old PPC. However, since I have invested
> in moving forward with PPC 2003 and all, any help in
> resolving this would be much appreciated.
>
> I could try to play songs from the main memory, but I
> barely have enough for 4-5 songs.
>
> Thanks!
> P-Chip

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:49:01 PM

I was having this same problem with a Dell Axim X5 with PPC 2003!

Finally, I found a correlation with this frustrating and seemingly random
jumping around. It's caused when the processor shifts from 200MHz to 400 MHz.
I suspect your processor speed is set to "AUTO" which allows this jump to
happen. Set it to "POWERSAVE" to lock in 200MHz and playback gets much, much
better from the CF slot. Also, download and install Dell's new CF drivers
from their website.

I'm now successfully playing back 400k variable bit rate WMA's made in Media
Player 10 copied directly to the CF slot via Windows Explorer!

Gary

> "P-Chip" wrote:
>
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I have a Dell Axim (emabarassing, but I forgot the model
> > number. It's the older, shapely one -- X something, not
> > the newer, squarer one) with 32MB RAM and PPC 2003. This
> > problem concerns WMA's (192k stream) ripped on my PC
> > running WMP 10. The songs are stored on my CF card.
> >
> > I have been having a really weird problem -- I can't seem
> > to play my music files on my PPC. What happens is that
> > every time I tap on WMP (version 9) to play the files, it
> > plays a song for a while and then stops. Just stops. I
> > can't hear a thing at this point. However, some of the
> > times, the song counter keeps moving up, but there's no
> > sound. Also, some of the other times, the song length
> > shows up totally wrong (like 34 minutes, instead of the 4
> > minutes or so that the song is) and the progress
> > indicator skips to the end of the song pretending that
> > the song is over (which it's not!).
> >
> > One note is that the song plays for about 30 seconds or
> > so before the aforesaid weirdness takes over.
> >
> > After this silence (or "non-playing") goes on for a while
> > (probably another 30-40 seconds), it skips to the next
> > song and starts playing that. The next song that plays
> > after this usually plays completely (or almost
> > completely).
> >
> > Of course, there's no way I can skip around in the
> > playlist, since the song I skip to will simply not play,
> > or exhibit the above behavior. In general, no song will
> > play completely. If I just surrender to the whims of the
> > player, it will clam up and/or skip songs merrily until
> > it comes to a song that it plays completely. I have not
> > been able to pinpoint a pattern in this bizarre
> > behavior.
> >
> > At one point, I thought that my license file was corrupt.
> > So I deleted it from my PPC and re-synced all the songs.
> > That worked for a song or two before the problem started
> > all over again.
> >
> > Is this a memory issue which can be solved by upgrading
> > to a slightly beefier PPC? Or is this something that
> > PPC's are cursed with.
> >
> > On a related note, my old HP Jornada 548 *never* had this
> > problem. In fact, I am thinking of dumping the Dell and
> > going back to my old PPC. However, since I have invested
> > in moving forward with PPC 2003 and all, any help in
> > resolving this would be much appreciated.
> >
> > I could try to play songs from the main memory, but I
> > barely have enough for 4-5 songs.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > P-Chip

January 5, 2005 2:27:43 PM

Hi!

Thanks for you response. I did the copy using the Sync
feature on WMP 10, so that all the conversions were
happening correctly, and also so that the DRM license
files would get copied over for purchased music.

I did now drag and drop music using explorer. For some
reason, the problem is more frequent with the purchased
music and not so much with music ripped from CD's.

Thanks!
Pat

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:34:46 PM

Gary,

Thanks for your post.

How on earth did you find that out?!? Did you see it
posted somewhere? Because that is some esoteric issue. I
mean, wow!

BTW, this may not really apply to me since I don't seem
to have a 400 MHz processor. My processor is 300 MHz,
with 32 MB or RAM and 32 MB of ROM (this is pretty much
the lowest end X5 that Dell ever offered :-S)

Even so, where do you change that setting? I searched all
over my System tab (the most likely place), but couldn't
find anything. I am assuming that since there is no
support for clock-rate ajustment on my system, that
setting is probably disabled.

Finally, as I mentioned in my other reply, this problem
seems to be happening more with my purchased music than
with the ripped music. Make any sense?

Anyway, I think I will do what you did and download the
latest CF drivers from Dell's site. Can you please tell
me where you found those?

Regards,
Pat

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:51:09 PM

Pat,

Here's how to check your prosessor clock speed:
Click SETTINGS--SYSTEM--BRIGHTNESS ICON; Then, at the bottom of the screen,
click the POWER hyperlink. Now click the PROCESSOR tab at the bottom. On this
screen, you should have a choice of speeds, one of which is POWERSAVE. Choose
this button to fix the clock speed at the slow rate, or choose NORMAL to fix
it at the high speed. Do not choose AUTO, which is the setting that allows
the clock rate to change.

Dell's support website has the new CF drivers here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?r...

!