Will the power supply physically fit in my case?

jpepera

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm looking into buying a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V (or 750W if possible) power supply for computer. The computer I have, an HP Pavilion Elite m9600t, currently has a 460W Delta Electronics PSU in it.

Would the Corsair 650W or 750W fit into this case? (If anyone has links to show if it will or not, would be much appreciated as well). I understand the PSU's come fairly standard, but I think these two models may be a bit too deep for my system. If anyone has any info showing otherwise, will help alot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

1.) Look at the back of your case. If there's no sheet metal blocking an alternative power supply (such as a ring around the power connector), and it's PS/2 style, go to step 2.
2.) Measure the available mounting depth inside your case, from the mounting plate to any drives or drive cages.
3.) Look at the length of the Corsair power supply, which is an extended (longer mounting depth) variation of PS/2 form factor. Dimensions should be published at Corsair. You'll need enough room for the power supply, plus around 3/4 inch for the cables (modular power supply), or 1.25" for non-modular power supplies.

jpepera

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I didnt think I'd have to actually measure it myself. I mean this isnt a problem but isnt there some sort of compatability list or something?

To Crashman: I'm not good w/ power supplies (hence my questions lol), could you explain your "step 1" a bit more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Some HP/Compaq cases had odd-shaped mounting holes that would prevent other power supplies from being used, even though they were the same size. I looked yours up and it's standard.

http://www.desktopreview.com/assets/2346.jpg

But high-capacity power supplies normally deviate from the standard by being longer, front-to-rear, than normal. And that's why you have to open the case and measure how much space you have, from the front to the rear of the power supply opening.

And then you have to look up the dimensions of the oversized power supply you're putting in and see if it's short enough to fit.

jpepera

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks a ton for the help. Now, I looked up the dimensions of the PSU that is supplied with the computer (Delta Electronics 460W), and the dimensions of the two power supplies that I'm interested in. They are:

Delta Electronics 460W - 3.3" x 5.8" x 5.5" (H x W x D)

Corsair TX 650W - 3.4" x 5.9" x 5.9" (H x W x D)
Corsair TX 750W - 3.4" x 5.9" x 6.3" (H x W x D)

You said mine was standard. I know its just a 0.1" increase in Height and Width, but would those still fit (regardless of depth)? I only assume that its such a small difference (based on rounding or something) that it won't even matter, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thx again for the help crashman :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The thing that still matters is depth. The 650W power supply is 0.4" deeper, so if you have 0.4" of excess space between the current power supply and whatever is in front of it (usually the optical drive), it will fit. The 750W is 0.8" deeper than your original unit. If you have 0.8" of excess space, it will fit.

When I say excess space, remember that you need some room for cables.

Now open it up and look?

jpepera

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I understand. I actually already did measure, and they both should fit with regards to depth (with room for cables). I was just wondering about that extra 0.1" in width and height, sorry if I worded it improperly (I didn't mean depth doesn't matter, just meant I checked it already).

It's just that the power supply that is inside fits quite snug already, but like I said before those measurements seem so close that it shouldnt matter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, both power supplies are supposed to be the same form factor at the mounting plate, so the 0.1" difference is probably a rounding error (rounding 5.875" up or down).

gopinb

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hi
I too have the same SMPS which got burntdue to voltage fluctuations. I am not able to find the replacement for it. Thisnking of buying the Corsair 500W. The size seems to be the same (little difference), hopethat it wil fit to my ATX cabinet of HP XW4400 workstation. Any suggestions please, it would help alot

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I know you posted this a while back but:

I installed a 600 Watt Rosewill RD600 into an m9600t and it worked. It also ran about 3c cooler due to the bigger fan. Its not modular, so you need to be creative with the cable management. Its definitely doable though.

An ATX PSU will physically fit, but it will not latch in place as the current PSU will. Once you screw it in it is in firm and you will not need to worry.
There isnot much room for the extra cables, but I realized there was some space in the top 5.25" slot behind the card reader to put the extra cables.

TRENDING THREADS