Sign in with
Your question

OCZ SSD model differences

Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2010 4:29:15 AM

Hello,
I'm going to take the plunge and pick up a SSD for my OS and programs. After my research I've settled on the OCZ Vertex 2 (Maximum PC's high rating was key in this choice). I found 2 similiar models at Newegg.com but I can't figure out the difference (other than physical dimensions). The Vertex 2 120GB comes in both 2.5" & 3.5" form factors with mostly similiar specs. I went to OCZ's webpage and checked the two out. The 3.5" (part number OCZSSD3-2VTX120G) and the 2.5 (part number OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G). The 2.5" drive is offered in a version called "extended capacity" but I couldn't find a definition of "extended capacity". It doesn't mean merely 'bigger' because there are bigger "standard capacity" drives offereed. Do any of you know the difference? I've asked OCZ but haven't gotten an answer yet. The only difference I could tell was that the 3.5 actually had a faster random write speed and that tells me nothing about the "extended capacity". Any help you can spare is appreciated.
Thanks,
CJ
a b G Storage
September 27, 2010 9:29:47 AM

The extended capacity, if I remember correctly (don't quote me), means that the drive has additional overprovisioned NAND flash memory compared to the standard drive. All SSDs have more memory than is stated to allow the SSD controller to more effectively spread out wear and tear on the drive and to provide backup blocks as some blocks of memory will inevitably fail over time (this prevents capacity from being reduced below the rated amount straight away). In short: an extended capacity drive should, in theory, last longer and maintain performance longer when filled near to maximum capacity than a standard drive rated at the same capacity.
October 5, 2010 9:33:45 AM

randomizer said:
The extended capacity, if I remember correctly (don't quote me), means that the drive has additional overprovisioned NAND flash memory compared to the standard drive. All SSDs have more memory than is stated to allow the SSD controller to more effectively spread out wear and tear on the drive and to provide backup blocks as some blocks of memory will inevitably fail over time (this prevents capacity from being reduced below the rated amount straight away). In short: an extended capacity drive should, in theory, last longer and maintain performance longer when filled near to maximum capacity than a standard drive rated at the same capacity.

I am quoting you now. :p 

It's the opposite.

The extended version have merely 13% spare space compare to 28% on Non-extended version.

Example:
100GB - OCZSSD2-2VTX100G, has a total of 100/(1-0.28)~=138.88GB
120GB - OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G, has a total of 120/(1-0.13)~= 137.93GB

However, extended version should be better choice as they offer you more available space while performing approximately the same according to Anandtech.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 5, 2010 9:38:31 AM

I came across that same article about 2 days ago. I wish I had seen it before haha.
October 5, 2010 9:39:26 AM

@OP:
You can also make an extended version into non-extended one by leaving extended space "unused/unpartitioned".
June 2, 2013 10:28:18 PM

thanks for sharing...

Currency Trading in India: UFXMARKETS
!