jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I've just built my first system and was getting ready to overclock and i have a question.

The situation is that im running Prime95 and using RealTemp to measure the pre-oc temp on my cpu so i have a baseline to compare against as i overclock. RealTemp reported core temps between ~48C and ~43C. Are those normal temps for a stock i5-760 with a Hyper 212 Plus cooler? I'm wondering if the cpu temperature is being reported correctly because i've heard that temps for lynnfields under full load are often in the 60C-70C range and the ~48C-~43C figures seem low.

If under load, yeah those temps are fantastic. At stock speeds with aftermarket cooling, ~50C mark is fairly normal I'd say. With stock cooling it would probably be at least 5-10C hotter.

70C is the upper limit for the CPU - technically, its spec is 72.7C max. It's not going to break at that temp tho, you could run it 75C max and be ok.

travisbundo

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
After running Prime95 with my i5 760 at stock for about 30 minutes with the 212 hyper cooling it they usually are around 33-35c depending on the core. Core 3 tends to go up to 37c.

These seem very good to me. I do have the Antec 902 case that provides excellent air flow. I used the thermal compound that came with the 212 which is supposely poor quality. Those temps were also before the thermal compound was broke in.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Well I've got my cpu overclocked to 3.5Ghz now and my load temps running prime95 are up to ~52-60c, though my thermal paste hasn't set yet either.

I'm actually running into a similar situation in regards to certain cores running hotter than others. In my case cores 1 and 3 run 5-6c hotter than cores 2 and 4. One thought i had was maybe the heatsink was mounted slightly more firmly on the side of the cpu with cores 2-4, giving those cores slightly better heat dissipation? Just a guess though, I'm not sure how common that kind of temperature variance between cores is.

Also, during overclocking I actually figured out why my CPU was running cooler than I expected at stock settings. As it turns out the Vcore and VTT settings were set to auto in the BIOS, so when I left the BCLK at 133 the motherboard undervolted the CPU to 1.375 VCore and 1.05 VTT.