Sign in with
Your question

I5-760 Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 4:55:47 AM

I've just built my first system and was getting ready to overclock and i have a question.

The situation is that im running Prime95 and using RealTemp to measure the pre-oc temp on my cpu so i have a baseline to compare against as i overclock. RealTemp reported core temps between ~48C and ~43C. Are those normal temps for a stock i5-760 with a Hyper 212 Plus cooler? I'm wondering if the cpu temperature is being reported correctly because i've heard that temps for lynnfields under full load are often in the 60C-70C range and the ~48C-~43C figures seem low.

More about : 760 temps

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 5:31:30 AM

If under load, yeah those temps are fantastic. At stock speeds with aftermarket cooling, ~50C mark is fairly normal I'd say. With stock cooling it would probably be at least 5-10C hotter.

70C is the upper limit for the CPU - technically, its spec is 72.7C max. It's not going to break at that temp tho, you could run it 75C max and be ok.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2010 3:14:51 PM

So it sounds like temps are being reported correctly then, or at least are close enough. Well time to overclock now. Thanks for the help.

m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 12:33:03 AM

After running Prime95 with my i5 760 at stock for about 30 minutes with the 212 hyper cooling it they usually are around 33-35c depending on the core. Core 3 tends to go up to 37c.

These seem very good to me. I do have the Antec 902 case that provides excellent air flow. I used the thermal compound that came with the 212 which is supposely poor quality. Those temps were also before the thermal compound was broke in.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 2:59:32 AM

Well I've got my cpu overclocked to 3.5Ghz now and my load temps running prime95 are up to ~52-60c, though my thermal paste hasn't set yet either.

travisbundo said:
After running Prime95 with my i5 760 at stock for about 30 minutes with the 212 hyper cooling it they usually are around 33-35c depending on the core. Core 3 tends to go up to 37c.

I'm actually running into a similar situation in regards to certain cores running hotter than others. In my case cores 1 and 3 run 5-6c hotter than cores 2 and 4. One thought i had was maybe the heatsink was mounted slightly more firmly on the side of the cpu with cores 2-4, giving those cores slightly better heat dissipation? Just a guess though, I'm not sure how common that kind of temperature variance between cores is.

Also, during overclocking I actually figured out why my CPU was running cooler than I expected at stock settings. As it turns out the Vcore and VTT settings were set to auto in the BIOS, so when I left the BCLK at 133 the motherboard undervolted the CPU to 1.375 VCore and 1.05 VTT.
m
l
!