Sapphire ATI Radeon 3650 AGP - help please !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjianop

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
About two months ago I purchased a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3650 512mb 128-bit GDDR2 AGP card to replace my old ATI Radeon 128-bit 9600. Wanted to stretch my 7 year old system a little longer before purchasing a new one since I'm only a casual gamer and average techy on knowledge.
I'm familiar with ATI's software and install went fine (had to use the hot-fix drivers from Sapphire site since ATI's does not work on this card which (Sapphire) may be the problem or one problem). Normal system use is fine (internet and video's also) but as soon as I play any game, no matter what the settings, card crashes into a blank screen and the resolution defaults into the 16-bit 800x400 mode. I can still hear the game going on but have to reboot and reset the resolution (I use 1360x768 since my Sharp LCD only accepts analog signal on the DVI connection). That is one way it crashes. The other is the screen freezes and the sound freezes into a buzzing like the signal is in a loop. I have to reboot then also but this crash doesn't default the resolution. Maybe I have two problems, the driver and the sound card driver? Been through ATI tech support and they can't figure it out. As they asked, updated all my drivers (chipset, BIOS and sound card). Then ATI support states I should put into another system to see if card is good. Problem is I don't have another system. The also state my motherboard is probably too old for his card and its not compatible since the latest drivers are all 2002-2004 (Intel doesn't support the old boy know more). I also tried shutting off the sound card and lowering the AGP speed to 2x and both did not work.
Any help would be appreciated. Would hate to throw away and waste the money with another card. My system info is below:

Dell Dimension 8250 (approx 7 years old)
P4 - 2.4ghz, Intel 850 chipset, board is by Dell, AGP 4x (card supports this speed)
1066 Rambus Ram 1 gig
250g HD (only 50% usage)
Ultra LS ATX power supply 500w (just purchased)
Sound card is SB Live 5.1 (original old one)

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Do not use the AMD drivers, since they are not meant for the AGP versions. Go straight back to the Sapphire website to download the drivers.

PS. The 9.4 AMD hotfix drivers are broken for DXVA. Do not use these ones. The latest you can use is CCC 9.3,

Joori

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi guys,

Sorry to bump this thread but I have recently purchased the HIS HD 3650 AGP card and it too has the 4 pin floppy type mini connector. The instructions i got with the card explicitly say not to use the floppy 4 pin mini connector as it will ruin the card. I'm unsure on what to use to power it with.. Would buying a molex or sata to 4 pin mini connector solve this issue or am I safe in using the floppy connector to power it.

Previously the machine had a 7900GS AGP card in it which seems to have gone on the blink now.. My PSU is a CoolerMaster 430Watt Dual Rail and had no problems supplying the 7900GS.

All responses are appreciated and again sorry for bumping this reasonably old thread :)

Regards,

Joori

hitechluddite

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but how do you start your own thread here?! I get the box where I can enter text and title but can't find a submit button! I'm running XP Pro and I.E. 6

Joori

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I choose the forum category/subcategory I want to post my thread in and hit the red 'Ask the community' button the box comes up where I can enter the title and body of text etc. Under the main box (body) of text I have two red buttons, 'Preview' and 'Submit', thats basically it.

I'm running FireFox 3.5.5. Other than that trying a different browser to see if the problem is local I don't know what else to suggest. Mind you it could be the forum itself thats gone buggy, although it's working fine for me.

Sorry if this doesn't help you much, but i'm hoping it does :p

DennisB

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I struggled to get my card to be recognized by Vista and windows 7 for about Eight MONTHS. I scanned the internet about once a month looking for an answer. I downloaded the driver and install software from ATI about twenty times and tried everything I could think of or find on the internet to get my computer to recognize the card. Finally just stumbling around I found the answer.
Go to Device Manager.
Click on Display adapters
Click on The display adapter
Right click on what video card is shown (mine read "Standard Video card"), select update driver software
Select "browse my computer for driver software"
Select "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Double click 3650.

With Vista this problem gave me a " Code 10 ".

Not sure of this is going to help, or if this is the same problem. Couldn't hurt.....
Good luck!

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Bon jour,

you dont mention other parts of your PC which makes it hard to tell, my initial reaction is to say yes but if its a cheap power supply which is quite old you might run into problems.

Do you have the rest of your system details?

chamush32

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Yes I have CPU: athlon xp(barton 512 kb) 2500+(1800 mhz),
ram:1.5 gb ddr 400mhz ram,
two hard disks
HDD1:320 gb ata 7200 rpm WesternDigital
HDD2:40 gb maxtor
and two optical drivers
mother board:gigabyte 7n400 nvidia2 ultra 400 chipset
sound card:audigy2
and my current graphic card is geforce fx 5200
So is this good configuration and what's your suggestion, should i buy this card?
thank's

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

unfortunately its a mixed bag.

if i was you i would scrap the cpu, motherboard, graphics and ram. your system might see a little bit of a performance boost from moving to a 3XXX series GPU but the benifits you would get on modern games would be nearly worthless with the CPU you have.

depending on your budget i would move to dual core AMD system and the one here will cost you about $92.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.328134

it will give you a dual core AMD and a radeon 4200 which will be miles better than your current system. it will also give you the option to upgrade your GPU later with the PCIx slot giving you access to the new dx11 cards and wonderful things like that.

the 3650 you ask about is so old, when put with your CPU it would be hardly worth it in modern games. cut your loss and start a fresh, 2 cores will do wonders for your machine.

tomyou

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

If you are talking about an "aux" power (beside the power supplied in the agp slot), than maybe I can help. I also have the hd 3650 and had previously put in a new power supply--from 250 to 400w. The four pen jobberdo I used came off the longer cable that has four individual female plugs that go into the cd, dvd and hdd drives (with the male sockets). Should only go in one way. I don't believe you should use the floppy drive connector, but as I say, the smaller (fifth) connector that runs with the drive cables. Hope this helps--I can't take much responsibility for your set up--I only know it worked for me.

stu192

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hi

i am also thinking of buying this card but after reading some of the comments above i am not sure

my system

ASUS A7N8X -X REV2.0 400 FSB SOCKET 462 MOTHERBOARD
athlon xp 3000+
1gb ddr400
current card is a radeon 9800 pro 128mb

is it worth upgrading my card for this or is the system to old

thx

stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.