Sign in with
Your question

Help with a Currupted Disk

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 25, 2010 3:05:34 PM

Hey all,

This problem really has me worried and any help would be greatly appreciated! I have an Iomega 1.5tb external usb drive that got corrupted by Windows 7. Here is what happened:

I have another identical Iomega drive that is 1tb in size. I tried to safely remove this drive from windows but after a couple of attempts, it wouldn't let me disconnect, saying that it was being used. In a case like this I usually put the computer in standby mode and wait for the disks to turn off. I then power down the drive and disconnect it from the computer. This is what I did, but I connected my 1.5tb drive (with the same usb cable) before waking up Windows. Apparently, Windows thought the same hard drive was connected because I tried to browse the folders and it was the same as the other drive.

I am not sure what I did next, whether I ejected the drive from Windows or put the computer on standby again and disconnected it that way. I then woke the OS up and and reconnected the drive. Well, Windows told me that the drive was unformatted and that I needed to format it, which I did not.

And now my drive is completely unrecognizable in Windows. And I also tried Knoppix without success. What can you guys reccomend that I do to recover my files? I don't care if the drive survives or not but I have a lot of video files that are not completely backed up.

I tried Photorec and that recovered a lot of my files, but with some oddities. Some of the video files have been joined together (weird) and some are unplayable in VLC player.

I am currently scanning the drive with Easus Partition Recovery but I am not sure if it will fix it or not and I hate to do anything that might delete my files.

What if I completely cloned the drive to another? Would that recover my files or would that just corrupt the other drive?

So, what should I do now? :) 

Sorry about the long post! Hope it's all clear. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss at what to do now.

Thanks!

- Hunter

More about : currupted disk

September 27, 2010 8:59:18 AM

It doesn't sound good I'm afraid.

You could try plugging in the damaged drive and doing a system restore as sometimes it's a registry error that causes this kinda' corruption. You could also check if your external drives have system restore backups.

You could plug in the damaged drive, and run a chkdsk /r on it. Maybe that will help?

Like I said though, this doesn't sound good. In this case - I would normally cut my losses after a few tries and format the disk to keep it from getting damaged.
m
l
September 27, 2010 3:16:11 PM

If nothing works you could try to run Recuva on it and try to recover any files, then reformat and see what happens.
m
l
September 27, 2010 3:17:29 PM

If the system see's it, it isn't dead yet so you may be able to at least recover the files.
Good luck.
m
l
!