GeForce FX 5200 and Vista...

mbeer99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I am having trouble with my video settings on an older computer which I've recently upgraded to Vista. I have a GeForce FX 5200 series video card and Windows has chosen to use a standard VGA video driver (vgapnp.sys) from Microsoft. I've used DriverDetective and it appears no other drivers are available.

The problem occurs when I choose the high resolution (1280 x 1024) setting. I have a Samsung LCD monitor that reports an incompatible signal and suggests to use 1280x1024 at 60 Hz. The monitor works fine up to 1024x768 at 60Hz. refresh rate. When I connect an old CRT monitor, the 1280x1024 setting works fine. Though, I cannot determine the refresh rate. This same computer works fine at the higher resolution, when booted to Windows XP. (Of course, XP uses the manufacturer supplied driver.)

When checking the Display settings, the Monitor tab doesn't allow setting the refresh rate; the only choice is to "Use the hardware default."

Does anyone have any suggestions for using another driver? Or, for specifically setting a 60 Hz. refresh rate? Is there a config or ini file for the vgapnp driver which can be modified? I've seen utilities for overriding the refresh rate, but haven't found any which run under Vista. I would really prefer to use my LCD monitor and not have to revert back to a CRT, only to run at a higher resolution. (I've recycled my CRTs and would need to find someone giving up a large screen CRT, since I need to see what I'm displaying.)

I know this is an old system, but I have a short-term project where I need this high resolution. I'm hoping for any suggestions to help me continue to use my LCD monitor on this system.

Thanks a lot, in advance!

System description:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Motherboard: Intel D865PERL
Video card: ASUS V9520 (GeForce FX 5200)

mbeer99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for your post. I neglected to mention that I tried to install the 96.85_x86 Vista driver from Nvidia. However, after the install shield starts, I get the message "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware." I guessed that a driver wasn't available for this older hardware. Or, that it an ASUS V9520 card. (The user manual lists the card as ASUS V9520, GeForce FX 5200 series.)

If I use the Device Manager to view the Display Adapter, it's listed as a Standard VGA graphics adapter. Somehow, Vista cannot determine the adapter model.

In another forum, it was suggested that I use the latest Nvidia Forceware driver (regardless of FX5200 support). I'm not comfortable playing around that much, since I don't understand the release structure of Nvidia products. It looks like one driver release is supposed to support the entire family of products. Is this true?

Let me summarize the issue:

On Windows XP:
* Manufacture supplied driver is used
* All resolutions work on my LCD.
* Refresh rate is selectable at 60 Hz.

On Windows Vista (32 bit)
* Microsoft driver is in use (vgapnp.sys)
* Cannot select monitor refresh rate; only "Use Hardware Default" is available.
* 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz. works on LCD
* 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz. works on LCD
* 1280 x 1024 does not work on LCD, but does work on a CRT monitor. (I can't tell what the refresh rate is)

Thanks for your consideration.

mbeer99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
PROBLEM SOLVED!
I'm humbled to say I don't have an Nvidea card, the manual was included with my system, but it's no longer installed. An ATI card has replaced the Nvidea card, at some point. :non: